What to expect from a ported saw?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i was always curious what to expect from a ported saw. I dont have one myself but got a chance to run one the other day done by a well known porter and it really didnt have that wow factor. (Not from this forum and dont want to say who. Not trying to run anyone down)
I always kinda thought like a 50cc be like a 60 and 60 be like 70 and so on.
Maybe some saws have better gains then others?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So i was always curious what to expect from a ported saw. I dont have one myself but got a chance to run one the other day done by a well known porter and it really didnt have that wow factor. (Not from this forum and dont want to say who. Not trying to run anyone down)

Work saw porting experts are not all created equal, and some on other forums who may have a "good rep" on that forum- may just be posers.

Last edited:

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really depends on the recipe. But even the most monkied with sausage stuffed farm boy fondled saw...... Won't impress if it's not in tune for conditions or has a half azz chain on it.

I'm happy to own several ported saws and they have ruined me. It's almost painful to run anything stock. I really like running two ported by different friends that do not have stickers on them. They are true sleepers.

Steven

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing to point out is some models really don't have the same gains as others. Or if they do they are not known how to achieve by many. Case in point ms362's are meh..... But there are a few guys that can really crank them up. But they are the exception to the rule.

Out of curiosity what model saw did you get to run?

Steven

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In most cases when an actual expert porting job is done to a good saw, I'm sure the owner of that saw can observe the before and after performances and gains.
The saws an echo 620. Saw was baught brand new from porter so never ran in stock form. I wish we had a stock one to compair. I did pick up a echo 590 which is the homemowner verion but havnt ran it yet and not a good comparison.
My saw that i thought it should seem faster than in my ms400 with bark box. The 400 just seems way more than it.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The saws an echo 620. Saw was baught brand new from porter so never ran in stock form. I wish we had a stock one to compair. I did pick up a echo 590 which is the homemowner verion but havnt ran it yet and not a good comparison.
My saw that i thought it should seem faster than in my ms400 with bark box. The 400 just seems way more than it.

Last edited:

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A stock 620p would outperform a "cs400 with bark box" on both a dyno and timed cuts., so I'm not sure what you're expecting? "Wow factor" can be pretty subjective, so it's possible I just won't understand what you were expecting. Or maybe that particular saw modder isn't the real deal.
He's talking about a Stihl 400. With a bark box/some sort of muffler mod, the ms400 runs really well.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Was it just cookie cutting? Some of my favorite to run saws, that I've built, aren't the most impressive to run if you're just cookie cutting/bucking smaller logs. However, they are really forgiving in real-world work scenarios and can pull long bars well. I aim to increase power across the rpm range, but I do not want to give up torque to chase rpms...I think a lot of the so-called "porters" just try to build high-rpm saws. Those saws are really impressive if you just let them self-feed through a log, but once you start putting in sloping cuts on fibrous trees or try to lean on it in a back cut, they show their true colors. Grabby, easy to stall the chain out, etc.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A stock 620p would outperform a "cs400 with bark box" on both a dyno and timed cuts., so I'm not sure what you're expecting? "Wow factor" can be pretty subjective, so it's possible I just won't understand what you were expecting. Or maybe that particular saw modder isn't the real deal.
My saw is a stihl ms400 at 67cc, the echo 620 at 60. I thought the 620 would be way better but inwas kinda surprised.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was it just cookie cutting? Some of my favorite to run saws, that I've built, aren't the most impressive to run if you're just cookie cutting/bucking smaller logs. However, they are really forgiving in real-world work scenarios and can pull long bars well. I aim to increase power across the rpm range, but I do not want to give up torque to chase rpms...I think a lot of the so-called "porters" just try to build high-rpm saws. Those saws are really impressive if you just let them self-feed through a log, but once you start putting in sloping cuts on fibrous trees or try to lean on it in a back cut, they show their true colors. Grabby, easy to stall the chain out, etc.
We were cuttin firewood. He had the 24inch bar burried at one point and it seemed ok but nothing special. When i ran it it was about 15 inch rounds.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My saw is a stihl ms400 at 67cc, the echo 620 at 60. I thought the 620 would be way better but inwas kinda surprised.

The 620 is kinda limited in the exhaust size. They have a round flange about the size of a quarter. I remember holding a standard 0 series stihl exhaust gasket up to it and the gasket was bigger than the flange in a few areas. They still gain well but need ported differently to take advantage of torque rather than for high hp.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now i think it woud be neat to try them both with same brand new chains to make it more fair. Both had 24 inch bars.

The chain is everything when making direct comparisons. Either the same chain or 2 new loops from the same roll

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the 400 broken in is a pretty strong runner stock. And it’s 67cc, and the exhaust has been opened up. But, a 620 with a good recipe can be quite strong. 620 is also carb where as 400 is mtronic so it’s always on its sweet spot tuning wise. And as Kevin said above, chain can make or break it. I will say the 620 even stock with a muffler mod is a lot of bang for the buck.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As said, big deal for me is grunt vs. RPM - how hard the saw pulls, which means it can pull a more aggressive chain, and you can feel it pulling. Videos don’t show that. A port job can make a saw 25% faster but a poor chain can take it away.

@srcarr52 had some ported saws for sale, and was running them in vids with stock chains to give an accurate comparison to stock saws, good point, but it doesn’t show the potential he builds into his saws. If you watch his 395 stroker vids, holy cow, you can see them haul through the wood. It’s not the RPM, it’s bar progress through wood.

I Spose a guy can muff mod, open ports a little, bump
Timing, and maybe a little luck and get some pep into a saw, but machining the cylinder and having lots of experience finding the best recipe goes a long way. I have the tooling and experience with metal working etc, to port saws but I don’t because I don’t want to spend the time to find the good recipes - and I don’t want the hassle and would rather run them than work on them.

I have run saws that make RPM but don’t pull hard, or the chain isn’t great…

I think my most impressive saw is my XS 346xp. 50cc but pulls really hard. My mastermind 6100 is also pretty snorty, and my XS 7900 ‘bout pulled me off my feet first time I wound it up and dropped it on and big stick of eucalyptus.

If you were closer I’d let you run some of mine.