What to expect from a ported saw?

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A smaller saw will never keep up with a bigger one in bigger wood, but a smaller one can keep up in smaller wood. That's why I said "with appropriately sized bars" which should have had a disclaimer about wood sizes...

Would I put a 24" bar on my 350? Sure. Will it pull it? Yep. Will it cut as fast as a 70cc saw with the bar buried? Not a chance.

I can cut rounds off of 10-12" red oak fast enough that I can maintain a slow walk along the log. That's as fast as a lot of 70cc saws, and a LOT lighter.

Wood sizes are a dangerous subject with this crowd.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Bout the only negative thing I can think of with running ported saws is that you'll definitely use more fuel....

Yes and no. I cut about 8 cords, including noodling most of it into quarters, with less than a gallon of gas. That was with my ported 350. I don't know why the 350 is so good on fuel, but I can cut a lot of wood on one tank. I used a lot of epoxy inside the motor to smooth out the flow, maybe that has something to do with it.

My ported ms390 will use a lot more than that, so that's the other end of that deal.

a ported saw will burn more fuel in the same amount of time, but will get more work done as well, so it kind of balances out. A lot depends on how it was ported and there are a lot of variables there. I have run ported saws that needed a drink every few cuts, but those are the exception and not desirable from a fuel consumption point of view.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s like building a muscle car. All the components from the cam to the tires have to work together just right for it to be fast…but fast won’t pull a semi trailer.
This. And there’s no replacement for displacement.

A saw has to have “drivability”.

Will a 50cc piped saw running nitromethane beat a 70cc saw through a few cuts, probably. But it doesn’t mean one would want to use it to cut a tree with (it’s intended purpose we forget at times).

Who would want a 10 second 70 Chevelle with open headers their daily driver?

The oem is making a product that has a balance of factors for pleasurable real use. A ported saw is all about usability to me. I wear hearing protection always and live in a wooded area, so the noise is a factor I can deal with. I still try my best to make them not too obnoxious.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This. And there’s no replacement for displacement.

A saw has to have “drivability”.

Will a 50cc piped saw running nitromethane beat a 70cc saw through a few cuts, probably. But it doesn’t mean one would want to use it to cut a tree with (it’s intended purpose we forget at times).

Who would want a 10 second 70 Chevelle with open headers their daily driver?

The oem is making a product that has a balance of factors for pleasurable real use. A ported saw is all about usability to me. I wear hearing protection always and live in a wooded area, so the noise is a factor I can deal with. I still try my best to make them not too obnoxious.
Do you have any pix of Chevelle? lol