MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally found the elusive RH recoil that came on the 10-10 that I bought back in late Oct.Been looking for it for the better part of a month.What a sorry state it was in too.Whoever had the saw must've thought they were very clever in what they did.The retaining ring was gone,they probably broke it while trying to remove it,so rather than go get a new ring they drilled 3 holes in the housing & put cotter pins in.The heads of the cotter pins were enough (I think) to hold the tear drop plate in place.I pulled it apart & found a broken recoil spring & the pulley was the saddest looking thing I'd seen in a recoil.It was severely pitted & no matter how much I tried shining it up,it didn't help.I had a helluva time getting the rope unwound.I had to soak it in Deep Creep for a few minutes & the use a pliers on the rope to unwind it from the pulley.I finally got to where I thought I could see the little pin that holds the rope in place.I ended up breaking off the tip of my ice pick in there,so that was the end of that endeavor.I had to use sandpaper on the inside of the housing to get the mag rot & crud out.Surprisingly it cleaned up quite well.I have an extra retaining ring to use when putting it back together.I saw one on Feebay for $18 + shipping! I should've taken pics on this one.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't been posting here as often as I have in the past due to the neck surgery.It's coming along quite nicely,beats the hell out of a constant headache 24/7! The doc told me back in early Dec.that I could start back in with my tinkering,just at a "light" pace.
I figured I could work on some small saws like the PM6.I've also been doing parts inventory.I have to admit that the PM6s are a big PITA for their small size,Lol.
BTW,welcome to OPE Vinny!

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really?Is it that slow here?Lol OK,I'll give your minds something to try 'n figure out.
Trying to put the carb cover on the Monkey Wards 2.1 & I'm having some problems.
1)For the AF bracket (had to replace it due to a moron using the wrong screw resulting in stripped threads) what is the order for the washers & choke plate?I've figured that the top of the bracket gets only the thick washer,but the bottom is a bugger.There's the thick washer,the wave washer,& the choke plate.
2)I put the throttle lock into the carb cover,but not sure if I got it in right or not.I couldn't get it to go on the other way (the aluminum cap)

Attachments
  • edju1958 · Jan 2, 2022 at 4:50 PM

">
    637371-42c7567a0f914488be1af940c0412a00.jpg

thumbnail.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happy New Year folks! Here's a few of my yellow toys.
View attachment 322464
Got some nice ones in there!
Alot of green oiler buttons in there though? Wouldn't be safe around me, I've broken most if not all mine and had to replace them with black ones.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the correct order and position for the parts. Those throttle locks are often a problem.

View attachment 322428

Mark
OK,I have it together correctly then.The problem is that when I tried to use it it will only "lock"when I push the throttle lock down,but it's not catching on anything.I pulled the trigger to move the part of the carb out of the way so the throttle lock would lock in place.Obviously unsuccessful.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got some nice ones in there!
Alot of green oiler buttons in there though? Wouldn't be safe around me, I've broken most if not all mine and had to replace them with black ones.
Just gotta use those sparingly. :)
Never had a problem with breaking those so far.
Theres a couple more of my favorites that are in boxes waiting on time or parts to get them back together.
Mainly my 7-10A. Got a new ring, crank seals, and oiler pump. Just need some "quiet time" to get it all back together.
Thats a fun saw to run. I miss it.

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7-10 saws are fun. I had enough 10 series parts in boxes to put a saw together last year but had no cylinder or piston. Contacted bob j and he had a nos 7-10 block and piston. I now have a brand new 7-10. It doesnt look new but boy does it run great.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really?Is it that slow here?Lol OK,I'll give your minds something to try 'n figure out.
Trying to put the carb cover on the Monkey Wards 2.1 & I'm having some problems.
1)For the AF bracket (had to replace it due to a moron using the wrong screw resulting in stripped threads) what is the order for the washers & choke plate?I've figured that the top of the bracket gets only the thick washer,but the bottom is a bugger.There's the thick washer,the wave washer,& the choke plate.
2)I put the throttle lock into the carb cover,but not sure if I got it in right or not.I couldn't get it to go on the other way (the aluminum cap)

Attachments
  • edju1958 · Jan 2, 2022 at 4:50 PM

">
    637371-42c7567a0f914488be1af940c0412a00.jpg

thumbnail.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0

The spring is supposed to be on the bottom side, open the throttle and pull up to lock in the starting position, then blip the throttle once it is running to release the lock back to idle.

Normal run position

20220103_080503.jpg

Throttle locked in high idle for starting

20220103_080526.jpg

Mark

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AJ - I can't help on the 32" but my 28" bars are 92 or 93 DL of 3/8 pitch chain depending on the actual bar. I don't think I have an Oregon branded bar, only the Windsor/McCulloch and maybe a rebadged Echo.

Mark

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AJ - I can't help on the 32" but my 28" bars are 92 or 93 DL of 3/8 pitch chain depending on the actual bar. I don't think I have an Oregon branded bar, only the Windsor/McCulloch and maybe a rebadged Echo.

Mark
Thank you mark for that