MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
7:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up what I think was a 7-10 the other day...it has the 7-10 top cover, LH start, non-chainbrake model, but what has me unsure is that it has the DSP type decompression valve that is actuated by a lever and controlled by kill switch instead of the poppet type valve.

Is this correct for a 7-10?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up what I think was a 7-10 the other day...it has the 7-10 top cover, LH start, non-chainbrake model, but what has me unsure is that it has the DSP type decompression valve that is actuated by a lever and controlled by kill switch instead of the poppet type valve.

Is this correct for a 7-10?

For an extremely early 7-10, yes. Let's see some pics!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yes, that is a very early 7-10! The very early 7-10 was basically a super 6-10 set up for left hand start. If the clutch is original and is keyed and have the holes for starter paw rivets, it is early early. It may have the tillotson HS carb on it too.

Notice the rope roller on the starter cover, that was common on the early lhs 10 series saws.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a poppit style valve kind of like a valve in a 4 cycle engine only smaller . They have a tendency to stick closed .You really don't need to use them unless you want to . The saw it's self has plenty of power .Some say more than a 700 some say less .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe 15 years ago my wife's nephews up near Detroit got into cutting firewood .I was sent on a mission to find them some saws for a reasonable price .Couple of old Macs ,A cinder block PM 610 and a 7-10 both on the cheap .Their buddies could not believe those 20-25 year old Macs could walk away from their "wild things " .Uncle Al knew damned good and well they would .:) Maybe the chisel chains played a little on that perhaps .

macman

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
New to the forum and I have to say I love this thread found it while doing some searching around for rpm specs on my old mac saws. Three days later and I'm still reading posts lol. a lot of good knowledge has been shared in this thread. Not sure if this would be the proper thread for an introduction and pictures of my yellow army, I guess let me know where and and ill post something. Al looks like your from lima ohio. I'm just a little north of you outside of bluffton ohio.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New to the forum and I have to say I love this thread found it while doing some searching around for rpm specs on my old mac saws. Three days later and I'm still reading posts lol. a lot of good knowledge has been shared in this thread. Not sure if this would be the proper thread for an introduction and pictures of my yellow army, I guess let me know where and and ill post something. Al looks like your from lima ohio. I'm just a little north of you outside of bluffton ohio.

Welcome to OPE! And yes, everywhere is a great place to post Mac pictures!

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome! Post away!

macman

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
lol ok I will try and get some up. I wish i had known of this thread years ago. I have been around macs my whole life. My dad started running them in the late sixties and never switched. I learned to run a saw on a mac 10-10 in my early teens and eventually my dad let me run his PM700 and his PM850 till it burnt up one day cutting a large maple after a storm (that was a sad day) then just sat on a shelf cause there wasn't a piston to be found. After my dad passed in 2006 and i started cutting firewood for myself with the old macs it quickly became an obsession Now i have a couple 10-10 autos a later 10-10, a couple PM610, PM700, super pro 70 pro mac 850(eventually found a new piston to revive it, unfortunately dad never saw it run again) and a Super Pro 125 (chrome bore and fully adjustable carb) all good running saws that I use to cut 10-20 cords of firewood each year sometimes more lol. I also have a whole slew of mini macs and an old D33? all complete running saws just not primary wood cutters lol. and of course a few project saws waiting for me in my spare time lol. Like i said i will try and get some pics up on one of my days off. in th mean while i'm going to continue sifting through this thread I think i was up to january 2017 when i couldn't help myself and had to post something

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a lot of good info in this thread, so it should keep you busy for a long while. Heimmanm is our resident McCulloch scholar, Steve is our resident McCulloch historian, and Bigmac is our resident McCulloch muscle-saw pro.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al looks like your from lima ohio. I'm just a little north of you outside of bluffton ohio.
Bluffton is neat little town .Both my kids were born in Bluffton hospital . I'm actually on the west side of Lima near Elida .Right smack dab in the center of the giant corn fields of NW Ohio .

macman

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
lol giant corn fields, I do a little farming on the side so i understand what your saying. elida is a nice area good to know of another local mac guy. the only other people that i've known to own or run macs around the area are a couple guys i fixed up some 10-10's for cutting firewood

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a lot of good info in this thread, so it should keep you busy for a long while. Heimmanm is our resident McCulloch scholar, Steve is our resident McCulloch historian, and Bigmac is our resident McCulloch muscle-saw pro.

Where do you fit in to all this JJ?

I wouldn't call my self a historian. How about 10 series aficionado? :D

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That Mac stuff I'm just a restorer ,I ressurect them from the dead .If I wanted to add some soup to them it would be with a Stihl .I can make a Mac run but it's not as easy as the others .BTW I have no brand loyalty but I do have an interest no matter who made them .

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the Big Macs for sure, but I know you and Lee have handled 20x the 123cc macs that I have! The 123cc stuff has its hooks in me for sure!