ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
9:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
but from what I’ve seen Levi has the ambition to succeed

Oh, he’s fine..

But even after I thought I taught him a lot, he still has a lot to learn.
My objective was to teach him to be a demanded commodity, but there’s a lot to learn still..

Imagine a kid who’s parents thought a decent GPA and a useless degree would make for a great life think right now???

The education system has let us down in more ways than you can count.. and we are on our own to make the best of the next generation...

Even the military has been compromised.. all the good ones are being retired at break neck speed..

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Oh, he’s fine..

But even after I thought I taught him a lot, he still has a lot to learn.
My objective was to teach him to be a demanded commodity, but there’s a lot to learn still..

Imagine a kid who’s parents thought a decent GPA and a useless degree would make for a great life think right now???

The education system has let us down in more ways than you can count.. and we are on our own to make the best of the next generation...

Even the military has been compromised.. all the good ones are being retired at break neck speed..

I disagree about the military. It has only become less toxic as time goes on. Gone are the gay bashers, women haters, and otherwise nasty leadership. Command leadership realized that hazing soldiers is not helpful and reduces mission readiness. Sexual assault and harassment prevention training has finally taken an important role after the huge numbers of MALE soldiers raped by other males has been exposed. While I was in there were several 1SG's that tried to get me to transport explosives illegally, commit paperwork fraud, etc. The military is a slowly improving good ol boys club.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time with the entitlement to a living wage.
If a person has no ambition or desire to put forth the effort, I don't understand why we owe him a living wage.
Part of the problem is, when you do that, you perpetuate the belief that you deserve something you haven't worked for.

If you always choose the path of least resistance, you get what's at the end of the road..........and it ain't going to be what you want.

Why do you assume they just don't want to work? All of the good paying entry level jobs the majority of you over 40 types took as kids are gone. Wages have been stagnant since the 60's and a dollar is worth less now than it was ever before. I see people saying "don't live above your means" when people didn't chose to be born in LA or whatever city. Almost everyone in the world lives in a city and rural living is comparatively tiny. It's easy to say "get the crappy job and shutup" when the cost of living where you live is pennies compared to where the vast majority of people live.

I also get why a lot of rural kids don't want to work and lay around doing nothing. There is no future for most young people in rural areas. Most rural towns are dying with few jobs and no opportunity for real wages. Why should a young man break his back for poverty wages and then be unable to work in his 30's from being broken? We all know the stories of alcoholics and drug addicts in construction and other physically demanding jobs. I know plenty of soldiers that have destroyed their bodies, but at least we got compensated. Those 1099 employees that have broken bodies aren't getting a retirement, insurance, fair wages, or even the guarantee they will have a job in two weeks.

The system is broken and nobody should be forced to work more than 40 hours a week to survive. I think many of you simply don't understand what I'm talking about. I see some of you say "big bucks" when I'm talking about just having enough to pay for housing and food, which most cannot afford on minimum wage. Perhaps that is "big bucks" when talking about NYC or LA (which is over 40 million combined, just two cities), but those people deserve to live if they are willing to work hard for 40 hours a week. Many of you interpret what I'm saying as "Lazy people need living wages too!" You guys that are proud to have worked for 60+ hours every week just to make ends meet must not have enjoyed that. It must have been exhausting leaving you with an unfulfilled life. We are not simply slaves born to this world to do the bidding of the rich. Think about all of the children suffering and becoming autistics because their parents can't be home to raise them.

You all want to complain about boys becoming adults without any skills and *s-wordty attitudes, but that didn't happen by mistake. If you have both parents out of the house working two jobs each, who is going to raise the kid? If kids don't grow up wanting to sling wrenches or hammers, then who's fault is that? If you have a bunch of livestock getting sick from unclean living conditions do you blame the cows for not cleaning up? It is a parent's responsibility to raise their kids to be productive members of society, but that is very difficult if they are getting poverty wages and have to work 80 hours a week to pay the bills. If only those parents could just work normal hours to make sure their kids are well adjusted members of society.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ol' Spacebus...Army 'broke' his young ass and now paying him 100% tax-free disability for the rest of his oxygen consuming days. I'm willing to bet I could dent your Army armor story there cowboy with the *s-wordt you've talked in this forum. Just runs from thread to thread running that mouth.

Funniest thing I've read to date in this forum..."Do you know what USA Retired means?"

More and more I read this foolish kids' comments, the more I wanna knock his f'ng lights out!

...and I'll leave this boy and this fine, informative thread alone on that note!

Last edited:

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why do you assume they just don't want to work? All of the good paying entry level jobs the majority of you over 40 types took as kids are gone. Wages have been stagnant since the 60's and a dollar is worth less now than it was ever before. I see people saying "don't live above your means" when people didn't chose to be born in LA or whatever city. Almost everyone in the world lives in a city and rural living is comparatively tiny. It's easy to say "get the crappy job and shutup" when the cost of living where you live is pennies compared to where the vast majority of people live.

I also get why a lot of rural kids don't want to work and lay around doing nothing. There is no future for most young people in rural areas. Most rural towns are dying with few jobs and no opportunity for real wages. Why should a young man break his back for poverty wages and then be unable to work in his 30's from being broken? We all know the stories of alcoholics and drug addicts in construction and other physically demanding jobs. I know plenty of soldiers that have destroyed their bodies, but at least we got compensated. Those 1099 employees that have broken bodies aren't getting a retirement, insurance, fair wages, or even the guarantee they will have a job in two weeks.

The system is broken and nobody should be forced to work more than 40 hours a week to survive. I think many of you simply don't understand what I'm talking about. I see some of you say "big bucks" when I'm talking about just having enough to pay for housing and food, which most cannot afford on minimum wage. Perhaps that is "big bucks" when talking about NYC or LA (which is over 40 million combined, just two cities), but those people deserve to live if they are willing to work hard for 40 hours a week. Many of you interpret what I'm saying as "Lazy people need living wages too!" You guys that are proud to have worked for 60+ hours every week just to make ends meet must not have enjoyed that. It must have been exhausting leaving you with an unfulfilled life. We are not simply slaves born to this world to do the bidding of the rich. Think about all of the children suffering and becoming autistics because their parents can't be home to raise them.

You all want to complain about boys becoming adults without any skills and *s-wordty attitudes, but that didn't happen by mistake. If you have both parents out of the house working two jobs each, who is going to raise the kid? If kids don't grow up wanting to sling wrenches or hammers, then who's fault is that? If you have a bunch of livestock getting sick from unclean living conditions do you blame the cows for not cleaning up? It is a parent's responsibility to raise their kids to be productive members of society, but that is very difficult if they are getting poverty wages and have to work 80 hours a week to pay the bills. If only those parents could just work normal hours to make sure their kids are well adjusted members of society.

Let me approach this from a different angle.
I have four kids. Two of mine and two step children. All four in their 30's and all married with families.
Three of the four are high achievers, with very strong work ethics. One attorney, one MBA and one bachelor degree. All worked hard, have been successful, and are enjoying a good life. They started working in their teens. The two boys worked for local farmers while in high school. The girl, who now has an MBA, worked as an aid, at a nursing home. All worked while in college as well.

The fourth, always did the bare minimum to get by. He loves working on cars. After high school, we sent him to Wyotech, hoping that he would get motivated after being in that environment. To assure that he finished, we made a deal. If he graduated, we would pay for school. If he dropped out, he paid.

He came back after graduating and had a number of good job offers. He worked at several shops but never stayed anywhere long. The excuse was always the same. The owners expected too much. These were good paying jobs that came with high expectations.
He finally landed at a small shop that didn't pay nearly as well but the expectations were much lower.

He's now 36 and claims that life isn't fair. His siblings all live in nice houses, drive nice cars and have the money to do what they want, while he struggles to get by. He wants to make more money but doesn't want to put forth the effort to get it.

This is the guy I'm talking about when I say I have trouble with people deserving a living wage. He had every opportunity to succeed but chose the easy path. Unfortunately the easy path didn't lead where he wanted.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm glad your farm is fairing well, Randy. I know you put the effort in.
I'm on an old farmstead now. The 1st part of the house was built in 1850, or older. I'm sure there was several hundred acres when it was established. It is the oldest house on the top of this hill. I love it. It now sits on 5 1/2 acres. The PO sold off 66 when they had fallen on hard times. There is a second smaller 2 bdr rental house that we get a bit of income from. This puts our taxes at $5500.
I'd love to buy the 66 back and let the farmer who has it, keep farming. This would bring us back to AG status. He is currently growing corn and hay. Some of which is on the 5.5 acres too.

I'd like to do firewood here, topsoil from composting, and set in a bandsaw or a Lucas style mill. I can do all this on the 5.5 we have but the farmer would loose some of his corn crop. Anyways, I want the 72 acres to stretch out on, ride the 4-wheeler, target shoot, hunting, etc.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ol' Spacebus...Army 'broke' his young ass and now paying him 100% tax-free disability for the rest of his oxygen consuming days. I'm willing to bet I could dent your Army armor story there cowboy with the *s-wordt you've talked in this forum. Just runs from thread to thread running that mouth.

Funniest thing I've read to date in this forum..."Do you know what USA Retired means?"

More and more I read this foolish kids' comments, the more I wanna knock his f'ng lights out!

...and I'll leave this boy and this fine, informative thread alone on that note!
Come and get me tough guy :)

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Would you recommend a flail or bush hog style mower for a field with some woody plants in it? I would rather just buy a drum mower so I can make hay with it in the future, but I don't think that would be in appropriate for the current situation. This fall I'd like to clear out that bottom part in my photo and fill in the swampy areas with top soil.

By bottom part I mean the part on the far side of the path through the middle. It's hard to tell in the photo but the part on the near side of that path is severely sloping and we are lucky enough to have wild blueberries growing on it.

Attachments

• DSCF0211.JPG
    DSCF0211.JPG
    357.2 KB · Views: 11

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. My tractor is rated at 33-ish PTO HP, would that work for a 72" brush cutter? Tractor width is about 60"
I have a 72" brush hog on a JD 950, rated 27hp at the PTO. We use it to mow about 10 acres. It works just fine. Been set up that way for 20+ years.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 72" brush hog on a JD 950, rated 27hp at the PTO. We use it to mow about 10 acres. It works just fine. Been set up that way for 20+ years.
I'm still contemplating flail mowers as well. I have a Titan Attachments grapple that works pretty well, so I checked out their flails. Allegedly the Titan flail mower will mulch up to 3" material, which would more than cover what I need. $1,800 shipped for a 68" mowing width. Looking at mowing in October or even November if the snow holds off.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I found a buyer for some of my chicken pelts. A local store sells locally made fly fishing lures so I reached out to the maker. She said she would be interested when the pelts are ready, seems like she goes through a lot of chicken feathers. I'm about to cull three more roosters tomorrow, all with wonderful feathers. This time I'll take pics of the pelts before they go into the salt box.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I found a buyer for some of my chicken pelts. A local store sells locally made fly fishing lures so I reached out to the maker. She said she would be interested when the pelts are ready, seems like she goes through a lot of chicken feathers. I'm about to cull three more roosters tomorrow, all with wonderful feathers. This time I'll take pics of the pelts before they go into the salt box.
My oldest son is an avid fly fisherman and ties all of his own flies. In college he made extra money tying flies for several fly shops. I can't remember what he paid for them but I do remember him picking through a box of rooster neck pelts to find just what he wanted.
He always kept a lot of the pheasant neck feathers after a hunt.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My oldest son is an avid fly fisherman and ties all of his own flies. In college he made extra money tying flies for several fly shops. I can't remember what he paid for them but I do remember him picking through a box of rooster neck pelts to find just what he wanted.
He always kept a lot of the pheasant neck feathers after a hunt.
I didn't think about pheasants. If I can find consistent buyers for the cull pelts I am making now I would consider breeding pheasants. I live in "trout country" Maine, so plenty of buyers for flies and theoretically a market for pelts.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm still contemplating flail mowers as well. I have a Titan Attachments grapple that works pretty well, so I checked out their flails. Allegedly the Titan flail mower will mulch up to 3" material, which would more than cover what I need. $1,800 shipped for a 68" mowing width. Looking at mowing in October or even November if the snow holds off.

Flails are okay but they take a lot more hp to mow the same area. What I mean is that with the same tractor a 6' bush hog will cut a given field much faster than a 6' flail. Other than that, they generally leave a nicer cut and it's nice that they don't stick out so far behind the machine. They also have way more parts and are a little higher maintenence in my experience.