High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

The Official Farming Thread...

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Flails are okay but they take a lot more hp to mow the same area. What I mean is that with the same tractor a 6' bush hog will cut a given field much faster than a 6' flail. Other than that, they generally leave a nicer cut and it's nice that they don't stick out so far behind the machine. They also have way more parts and are a little higher maintenence in my experience.
Thanks, I have no experience with any kind of 3pt hitch mounted mower. The biggest mower I've used is an Ariens riding mower with two blades, maybe 42" wide?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm glad your farm is fairing well, Randy.

Beans and corn aren't mine. I just do cows and hay. But the row croppers around me have some nice looking stands going.

Thanks. My tractor is rated at 33-ish PTO HP, would that work for a 72" brush cutter? Tractor width is about 60"

I would rather use a 60" with that. Brush hogs are sorta hard on the tractor if you are doing any clearing. Just mowing is one thing.....but rehabbing, or clearing is another. I use a 5 footer on a 50hp tractor for rough stuff.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Beans and corn aren't mine. I just do cows and hay. But the row croppers around me have some nice looking stands going.
I have an Angus farm on the other side of me which also borders the back. When I look at them I see the beef chart pic for the different cuts. They sell by the cow and per pound. All grass fed too. :D

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I would rather use a 60" with that. Brush hogs are sorta hard on the tractor if you are doing any clearing. Just mowing is one thing.....but rehabbing, or clearing is another. I use a 5 footer on a 50hp tractor for rough stuff.
That's a fair point, this is a wet area with lots of thick grasses/shrubs.

What brands are popular on here? I see the King Kutter brand is common and affordable, but I also assume Chinese made.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a fair point, this is a wet area with lots of thick grasses/shrubs.

What brands are popular on here? I see the King Kutter brand is common and affordable, but I also assume Chinese made.

Find a used one in good shape and proceed to kill it slowly.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Find a used one in good shape and proceed to kill it slowly.
Heh, around here I wouldn't buy a used unit. Those have all been rode hard and put up wet, if you can even find one for sale. I would buy a used hay mower (drum, sickle, etc.) but I think it would get wrecked on what I'm working on this fall.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty neat seal that seal the axle to the drum. The axle seal rides on the drum. And back on all fours but only for a few minutes. Then the right side comes apart for the same treatment.

View attachment 300146 View attachment 300147 View attachment 300148
Wheel seal for a brush hog 307 is a bit different. It drives onto the axle and the grease seal rides on the wheel hub. I'll have to see if I have pictures of it somewhere. Works the same either way.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wheat harvest going rough! Rain everyday. Got one bin load today before another shower. Grain was 14.7 moisture.

Bet you would like 13.4 %

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bet you would like 13.4 %

Yup. They get to docking pretty good. Be alert cut that way. Our big terminal elevator here will turn it away at 15. Little elevator down the road gets all the wet stuff.
My boys raise seed for a wheat seed dealer and they are set up to blend the wet with the dry if it isn't too bad.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wheat harvest going rough! Rain everyday. Got one bin load today before another shower. Grain was 14.7 moisture.
Do you run the bin fan to try & dry that down? Wheat & Oats seem to be a bearcat to try & dry down around here.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you run the bin fan to try & dry that down? Wheat & Oats seem to be a bearcat to try & dry down around here.

We don't bin any. Phillip's seed is set up to blend the dry and wet to get it safe to keep. Also air to help. It can be tricky though. Dang humid air can make it worse sometimes.
You have any wheat up there or all row crop?

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't bin any. Phillip's seed is set up to blend the dry and wet to get it safe to keep. Also air to help. It can be tricky though. Dang humid air can make it worse sometimes.
You have any wheat up there or all row crop?
There is a few patches around not much, usually around mid July is when the wheat is ready around here. My buddy tries to put in about 40-50 acres of oats to combine & sell but most folks that put in oats mow them off for hay. There is probably more rye than wheat, folks are using it for cover crop. A couple combine the rye, some chop it but most just nuke it plant into it. My buddy usually tries to graze his down then disc it & put beans in.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This morning's culls, wish I had taken pics of the three from Monday. The Wyandotte rooster is not for sale, but the other two will be once they dry out. The darker rooster is a Barred Rock x Australorp cross and the light one is a straight Barred Rock. I would have liked the first two to have gotten a bit bigger, but they were too rowdy with my laying hens. The first two from this morning and the three I did Monday are all hatched from my flock. We will have a couple more culls this year as the chickens I hatched more recently get bigger.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 18