The Official Farming Thread...

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally feel like its gonna be warm enough to dry this stuff. This field is the thinnest of the two that are full of clover.
View attachment 300489
Did you happen to notice many Honey Bees in that clover?
I'm just a city-idiot nowdays, but I've got an old Abelia bush (50 years) that has always been a favorite with the Bees and Butterflys, of all sorts.
But I'm seeing almost no Honey Bees around here in recent years as the city swallows me up.
I needed to mow a relatives yard last week (..bout 10 miles away from the big city).
Yard was loaded with clover, But I only saw a few small Bumble Bees in the whole yard (less than 1/4 acre). Didn't see a single Honey Bee in the whole yard.
...sorta worries me a bit.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm just a city-idiot nowdays, but I've got an old Abelia bush (50 years) that has always been a favorite with the Bees and Butterflys, of all sorts.
But I'm seeing almost no Honey Bees around here in recent years as the city swallows me up.
I needed to mow a relatives yard last week (..bout 10 miles away from the big city).
Yard was loaded with clover, But I only saw a few small Bumble Bees in the whole yard (less than 1/4 acre). Didn't see a single Honey Bee in the whole yard.
I live in a rural area with lots of clover and haven't been seeing as many myself. The use of pesticides by homeowners and farms is not helping matters.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
10:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live in a rural area with lots of clover and haven't been seeing as many myself. The use of pesticides by homeowners and farms is not helping matters.
What pesticides are the farms using??

And for what??

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People could plant more of those horrible Bradford pear trees.. bees love them., it’s the only reason I haven’t gotten rid of the 4 in back of the house.
First thing to bloom in late March/early April and the bees just work them over.. by the thousands.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

We keep bees.....and our neighbor does too. But I still usually just see bumble bees on the clover.

That’s a lot of white clover.
Had it been overseeded multiple times?
Or just happened that way?

It was sown with wheat, cereal rye, rye grass, fescue, and clover. In the two fields I cut for hay, the clover took over. I've even sprayed it with 2-4-D several times.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still have one fruiting pear tree. The Bees do like it.
But It's been an early bloomer for the last few years now and so it begins to bloom when the weather is still likely to drop into the low 50's (F) and be a little rainy.
Shuts the bees down and the blooms mostly fade away without getting any cross pollination.

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We keep bees.....and our neighbor does too. But I still usually just see bumble bees on the clover.

It was sown with wheat, cereal rye, rye grass, fescue, and clover. In the two fields I cut for hay, the clover took over. I've even sprayed it with 2-4-D several times.
Easy there, or your tons will suffer..

I’d say grazon would be the most effective, but you do not want to do that until the grass population is thick enough to make up for all the clover that is not going to be there.
There is way worse things to make hay out of than lidino clover.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What pesticides are the farms using??

And for what??

Are you telling me that large farms do not spray crops with herbicides and pesticides? Glyphosate and noenicitinoids are common chemicals that lead to animal and bee deaths. Monsanto/Bayer sell seeds coated in neonics and roundup contains glyphosate and is a commonly used herbicide. Glyphosates and noenicitinoids have been banned in many countries.

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you telling me that large farms do not spray crops with herbicides and pesticides? Glyphosate and noenicitinoids are common chemicals that lead to animal and bee deaths. Monsanto/Bayer sell seeds coated in neonics and roundup contains glyphosate and is a commonly used herbicide. Glyphosates and noenicitinoids have been banned in many countries.
Are you *f-wording dense???

I want to know what pesticides the farms around you are using...

Simple question, deserves a simple answer.,

And ya better do a lot of googling to find out, cuz this ole boy knows a little more about this stuff than your average bear... lol..

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you *frenching dense???

I want to know what pesticides the farms around you are using...

Simple question, deserves a simple answer.,

And ya better do a lot of googling to find out, cuz this ole boy knows a little more about this stuff than your average bear... lol..

Never has anyone gotten a simple answer from that one. LOL

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never has anyone gotten a simple answer from that one. LOL
Because google don’t offer anything real,..

I hate frauds... you know this...
I can take anything.. as long as it’s the real and honest deal.. if a person don’t know *s-word, I’m ok with it. Just say so, and we can talk.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just because you own 10 acres, a tractor, and a few alpacas does not make you an expert in agriculture dynamics. Most the fellers in this thread support themselves and families by honest to God farming. They have combined farming experience older than the United States itself. Please for your own good, use your ears more than your mouth and you might learn how the real world works.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm confused. What are you guys even arguing about? It's no secret that large scale agricultural application of pesticides, like noenicitinoids, have been proven to be reducing bee populations. Dead bald eagles in my state regularly have a build up of glyphosate in their tissues. Every hardware store and lumberyard in my county sells Bayer/Monsanto pesticides and herbicides. The big landscaping companies in my area also use these chemicals. I haven't seen a single big box store that does not sell glyphosate and neonics. I don't know what that has to do with my property and what I'm doing. I did not say any of you are using pesticides and herbicides, but the industrial farms certainly do. Many ground water sources in this continent are now contaminated with these chemicals. I'm not sure why all of you are offended. Do you have love for Monsanto/Bayer?

It's like I'm not allowed to have any farming opinions on a farming thread.

Is being an expert required to comment on threads in the OPE forum?