Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a couple of these. When I got them, it was different enough looking from OEM that I popped the seal on my extra one and looked. The bearing has a groove in the race that the seal fits in. I didn't vac test it but I use it for trimming around fields so it spends a lot time on the ground idling. Haven't notice anything that would indicate that it has an air leak. It idles very steady.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a couple of the saw, I actually found this still in the case with the original bar and some extra parts in a storage shed on my property. The case had water in it and the saw looked terrible until I started cleaning, still can't believe it cleaned up that well!

As for the bearing, this is the best picture I can get to show the issue, you can see light passing through the gap between the seal and bearing race. I'm not claiming to be an expert on the 42's it just seems they should be more air tight than this.
That's sweet!
Not the bearing ;).

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my 42 is still working ;-) although the bearings and the piston looked like the saw had water in it. I replaced the piston

Overtorqued

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Overtorqued @Duke Thieroff
Did you guys get the bearing situation figured out guys.

I've been hoping someone would check theirs and see if it has a gap like mine. Hard to see it unless you have a light behind the bearing.

I know this one would never hold a pressure or vacuum test but if someone else has one like mine and has been able to tune around it I'll give it a shot. If not I'll hold out for an OEM bearing to pop up.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been using the first low leakage and fine tuning saw for over 10 years

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been hoping someone would check theirs and see if it has a gap like mine. Hard to see it unless you have a light behind the bearing.

I know this one would never hold a pressure or vacuum test but if someone else has one like mine and has been able to tune around it I'll give it a shot. If not I'll hold out for an OEM bearing to pop up.
So fit you get a refund?

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you explain how the seal works in these particular bearings?

It appears that there are some spaces where it could potentially leak when looked at from the "outside" angle. The seal doesn't look like it butts against the inner and outer races...
I bought 5 of these bearings as I have a collection of 42 and 44 series saws. I finally got around to actually testing the seal on these new bearings and they don't hold any pressure at all. If you hold them up to a light there is a pretty obvious gap between the seal and the inner race, so although they are correct dimensionally, they are not suitable for their intended use.

Overtorqued

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought 5 of these bearings as I have a collection of 42 and 44 series saws. I finally got around to actually testing the seal on these new bearings and they don't hold any pressure at all. If you hold them up to a light there is a pretty obvious gap between the seal and the inner race, so although they are correct dimensionally, they are not suitable for their intended use.
Well, darn. I was hoping I just got a dud. I'll take some measurements this weekend and see if I can come up with a seal that will work in them.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

@Overtorqued
Let me know what I can do to get it right with you, please....

Whether it be store credit or a refund

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Overtorqued

Thanks Duke. I'm not too worried about it at the moment. I will send you a pm in the new year and maybe we can work something out. It was a good try on your part to try fill a hole in Husqvarna's parts supply.

Someone here mentioned trying to source a seal. I have a couple oem seals here - maybe I will try popping the seal out of the new bearing and see if an oem seal will fit in there.

Overtorqued

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Overtorqued

No need, the bearing itself seems good quality. I'm going to poke around some seal manufacturers and see if I can come up with something to seal them up.

If you happen to get a new batch in with a proper seal let me know and I will buy another, maybe the manufacturer had a bad run of seals.

Thank you for trying to bring some NLA parts back to the market!

Overtorqued

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Duke. I'm not too worried about it at the moment. I will send you a pm in the new year and maybe we can work something out. It was a good try on your part to try fill a hole in Husqvarna's parts supply.

Someone here mentioned trying to source a seal. I have a couple oem seals here - maybe I will try popping the seal out of the new bearing and see if an oem seal will fit in there.

If they do fit please report back, I think I've seen the OEM seals for sale somewhere.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My current inventory of OEM seals all came from my dealer about a year ago. Definitely worth checking, they were available and an active number again when I got them.