Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never tried to get one apart before. Now I will have to have a look at the couple I have here and see if they too can be split like that. It sure would simplify doing a muffler mod.

I have to confess that I was getting ready to wire wheel and paint it when I dropped it on the floor. The halves were loose and a couple of taps with a rubber mallet, it came apart.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://youtube.com/shorts/DJ3VBQGY4EE?feature=share

Finally got around to finishing up my 238SG. I think I'm going to have to try and track down a carb or bush the throttle shaft, has a bit of a leak there so it's got a flat spot on acceleration unless I set it so rich it won't idle, but otherwise it runs well.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Overtorqued

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
First time poster, I recently acquired a very nice 93 model 42 special, unfortunately it's plagued with a bad PTO side crank bearing. I ordered an aftermarket bearing from saw salvage but to my surprise there's a pretty large gap between the seal and the inner race of the bearing, has anyone else ordered one of these bearings from saw salvage? Hoping I can get a replacement that seals properly or at least find a factory seal and attempt to swap it into the aftermarket bearing. It's really a shame so many parts are NLA for these saws!

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep him and I were emailing back and forth...

I've sold a pile of these bearings (about 50, including to a handful of members here) with no reported issues, but he's reporting there is a gap in the bearing.

I'm at home right now so I don't have much reference material available.

I'm not a full bore expert on these saws and their nuances, so I'm going to ask a little help from the community here on this one.

Are the seals supposed to be integrated into the bearing on this machine?

I can't tell much from the photo he sent other than the gap noted.

Also, we've sold through the stock that we had so I have nothing to compare to in my hands.

@Overtorqued , let's get to the bottom of the issue here and if we can determine there is an issue with the bearing we'll get it right with you.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First time poster, I recently acquired a very nice 93 model 42 special, unfortunately it's plagued with a bad PTO side crank bearing. I ordered an aftermarket bearing from saw salvage but to my surprise there's a pretty large gap between the seal and the inner race of the bearing, has anyone else ordered one of these bearings from saw salvage? Hoping I can get a replacement that seals properly or at least find a factory seal and attempt to swap it into the aftermarket bearing. It's really a shame so many parts are NLA for these saws!
Welcome to OPE Mr Torqued.
Any pictures of the saw, some of the bearing others would probably like to see too.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought one of the saw salvage bearings and have run it on a 42 special, maybe a couple hours of run time no issue. Here is the pic of my Duke bearing on the left and the OEM on the right.

View attachment 318668 View attachment 318669
Can you explain how the seal works in these particular bearings?

It appears that there are some spaces where it could potentially leak when looked at from the "outside" angle. The seal doesn't look like it butts against the inner and outer races...

Overtorqued

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's a couple of the saw, I actually found this still in the case with the original bar and some extra parts in a storage shed on my property. The case had water in it and the saw looked terrible until I started cleaning, still can't believe it cleaned up that well!

As for the bearing, this is the best picture I can get to show the issue, you can see light passing through the gap between the seal and bearing race. I'm not claiming to be an expert on the 42's it just seems they should be more air tight than this.

Attachments

• 20211130_200702.jpg
    20211130_200702.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211009_133639.jpg
    20211009_133639.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211009_133646.jpg
    20211009_133646.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 22