The Husky 42/42 special/242/246 thread

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
probably at Magnus, someone described a new bearing and seal combination / I read somewhere / you would have to ask

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I need shelf mine until I can look at it and make sure I didn't tune out an air leak. Lots of NLA NOS parts on this rebuild.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anybody has the part number I'd be happy to look them up.... If they do work, I'll order some seals and send them out to you guys at no cost

84e58422eeb5a585f4d6e42ac4be63f9.jpg

501 61 49 01

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you ever tried the 18" .325 narrow kerf setup? Thats kinda what I want to go to for a limbing setup.
Nope.

I run standard 325 (semi-chisel on the mtronic or Autotune saws so the chain will stay sharp a couple tanks) on my stock or muffler modded 50cc saws for limbing as I like the reach, ported 50cc saws I like to run a 20x3/8. I use the 40cc saw when working small trees on hills or on invasives most times, although sometimes I'll break them out for limbing just because they have fuel and a sharp chain.

I see no reason why that wouldn't work just fine though.
Just be careful that you do not put a standard 325 chain on a narrow kerf bar as it will rub the chassis on certain saws.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
narrow kerf is 0.50 "?

No, that is the width of the chain drive links.
The kerf is the width of the cut, basically the measurement from the outside of a left cutter to the outside of a right cutter. The kerf must be wider than the rest of the chain and the bar or the saw will bind in the cut.

Edit. Narrow kerf chain could be .050, but that's not where its different.
Sorry if I misunderstood.

Last edited:

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If they do fit please report back, I think I've seen the OEM seals for sale somewhere.
Well I finally got around to popping a seal out of the @Duke Thieroff bearing to see if an oem seal will fit. Unfortunately, the oem seal has a smaller o.d. and smaller i.d. than the seal that came with the Duke's bearing, so the oem seal is a no-go in this situation.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I finally got around to popping a seal out of the @Duke Thieroff bearing to see if an oem seal will fit. Unfortunately, the oem seal has a smaller o.d. and smaller i.d. than the seal that came with the Duke's bearing, so the oem seal is a no-go in this situation.
Thanks for that!

Anyone who purchased the bearings please get ahold of me at the shop (number listed in signature) and we'll work out a way to get it right.

Thanks!

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone find a fix for the seals.
Ran a few tanks thru mine a couple weeks ago, she's a little beast.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone find a fix for the seals.
Ran a few tanks thru mine a couple weeks ago, she's a little beast.
Husqvarna still sells the seals for the pto side in Europe, but I haven't been able to find a seller that will ship them to Canada, USA. There is also a supplier in Sweden that is selling the complete bearing/seal for the pto side, but it is similar to the Duke bearing, and I don't know if it would actually hold pressure/vacuum. If the oem seals were available here, it would be easy enough to buy a cheap 44 (or 2 or 3) with known good bearings and swap out the bearings to your 242/246.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got around to re-looking at a 42 Special I've had sitting around.

Decided to look at the clutch today and noticed on this spur sprocket, the needle bearing is one with the drum.

Is this standard, or did it overheat and stick to the walls of the housing?

I've only ever dealt with rim sprockets. Ultimately, I'd like to put a rim setup on.

20230122_144751.jpg