Stihl Hexa file and sawchain

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job Rich. They all seemed to cut well. Tough to cast a decision without feeling each chain cut. They all looked smooth too.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which chain cut the smoothest for you Rich?

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pay more for zero gains, I cant wait to try it.
Stihl are masters of marketing, this seems to target people who cant even roundfile with a guide, so 98% of weekend warriors. :)

Question's:

Is there any gain against square filing? Have Stihl this done, because Forest worker are not allowed to use square filed Chains in Germany? Yes Square Filing is not allowed in Germany.

Does the Stihl Hexa Chain not cut cutprotection? Square Filed Chains cut through it! Like a hot Knife through Butter. You can't protect your legs, ore use this:
ritter.jpg

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
11:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question's:

Is there any gain against square filing? Have Stihl this done, because Forest worker are not allowed to use square filed Chains in Germany? Yes Square Filing is not allowed in Germany.

Does the Stihl Hexa Chain not cut cutprotection? Square Filed Chains cut through it! Like a hot Knife through Butter. You can't protect your legs, ore use this:
View attachment 344772
I can’t imagine that 9 layer chaps won’t stop square ground but maybe not. The chap’s always get cut and that’s the point because the fibers bind everything up in a fraction of a sec.

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
9 layer chaps i havent seen, we have her cut through class 1 -3 cutprotection, that we can get here, no one has stopped a sqare filed chain. No fiber has gone along with the chain to stop it, all cutten.

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question's:

View attachment 344772
I believe it cuts depending on the square ground I believe it cuts a little behind or very close to it?
What I have seen
I think the big gains on it is that it’s easier to file.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
we have got results like this:

go forward to 12:45

I think if he were to lay the chaps loosely around something soft (like a leg) to where they could move (like around a leg) that the outcome would be different. Cutting right next to the tape doesn’t allow the chaps to pull into the saw

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
9:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My theory is is that round filed is stopped by chaps because the hook grabs the fibers and pulls them down into the gullet which is not sharp. Square doesn’t have much hook so it just cuts the fibers. Hexa is in between, so…

Also much agree with @huskihl