Stihl Hexa file and sawchain

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
12:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I teach a chainsaw maintenance and safety class for the state park service, lm definitely going to check out one of these files if it works and is as simple as it looks I'll be incorporating it into my class for danm sure!
You know how hard it is to teach someone how to even round file with any accuracy in a day ? Sure I don't need it but ,boy it could make my life easier.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes assumptions based on whats clearly there, no magic here, like I tried to explain although putting it in text in a language that is not native to me so not sure I can do any better a second time.
I get it they are trying to make it easier for anyone to get acceptable angles but I doubt anyone here needs that.
Tell me whats new and revolutionary about it without being brand loyal and sounding like a commercial.
I honestly dont understand what people get exited for... :confused:

Stihl is not tryin to make it easier for the user. That's the end result and the attractiveness of the product.
Companies launch new products to add or maintain sales and market position AND make money.

Profits are good. No profit no company.

Plus, who doesn't like to add a new toy to their hobby, business or whatever.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl could launch a new improved mobile pooping bucket so one doesn't pollute the woods taking a dump in the field and as long as the thing isn't available world wide everyone would want one no matter the pricing, performance, built quality, etc. :p

Human beings always run after the newest thing, it has become their herd mentality even when they don't even need it! :confused:

I asked three times for the Hexa system at my local Stihl dealer since the topic started here, neither time did they know what I was talking about.
Honestly, I don't want it nor need it - I just asked about it because of this forum!
I have numerous round file filing guides and jigs, and now I have a grinder, that is more than I will ever need to get my chains sharp to my liking. :)

Any one of You that feels the need to try/use the Hexa system, go ahead it's Your choice.
But one thing needs to be said, the Stihl round files lost their longevity/durability years ago.
I don't expect the Hexa files to be any better - and You can't "roll" them to spread the wear.

Cheers and have fun :beer-toast1:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at the pic in the first post it sure looks like it has a square corner to me!

That said, I'll bet performance can be further improved by "cleaning the gullet" on the bottom portion of the tooth.

I'll tell you something else large successful companies usually don't do ... introduce new products that don't work!

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at the pic in the first post it sure looks like it has a square corner to me!

It wont have a cutting chisel corner. Hope you like my drawing skills. Maybe you see what my point is.
20220523_193612.jpg

I'll tell you something else large successful companies usually don't do ... introduce new products that don't work!

I beg to differ... But Im not talking about it not working but there are about a million examples of "inventing" the wheel. With a twist ofc else no one would buy it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is my take on it. :p

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has none of the properties of a square filed/ground chain. It doesnt have the cutting angles or chisel corner. It has the same angles as any round filed cutter.
Every demonstration I have watches have had about the same cutting speed as round filed.
No chance I will pay for stihl hoax chain.
Not true.
Hexa (top plate) has a "chisel" grind, just like square. Does the angle change at the sideplate corner, no it does not but those top plates themselves have the same geometry.
Knife-Blade-Grind-Types-Chart.jpg

Hexa is in no way same angles as a round ground/filed chain. That would be hollow type grind, its round... not straight.

hollow-grind.jpg

images

Hexa just takes the flat profile of the top plate and goes straight through the sideplate with it.

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was trying to explain that, I said hexa chain had a straight edge compared to the concave of round filed, thats the only difference.
The proffessional terms well I have no clue... o_O
Anyway I am starting to feel like a parrot.

Not true.
Hexa (top plate) has a "chisel" grind, just like square. Does the angle change at the sideplate corner, no it does not but those top plates themselves have the same geometry.
Knife-Blade-Grind-Types-Chart.jpg

Hexa is in no way same angles as a round ground/filed chain. That would be hollow type grind, its round... not straight.

hollow-grind.jpg

images

Hexa just takes the flat profile of the top plate and goes straight through the sideplate with it.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For all my work chains with the round file I can sit down and touch up all the cutters within a few minutes. In dirty wood I may touchup the chain in a day a dozen times right up to shutting down for the day, chain's ready for the next morning.
But seeing I can use a Hexa file like a round file I can see some advantages like less touch ups in a day.
A cutting edge with a flat chisel profile is stronger then a concave or hollow ground profile a round file makes especially with that rough weak layer of chrome on the cutting edge.

Here I am round filing in my shop, (at the stump in the bush I'd have a stick or chunk of bark on my knee while filing those right hand cutters.)
This is what 50 years experience looks like:D

20220529_100502.jpg20220529_100427.jpg

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good points. Go with what you know and what works. Round works good enough for me and what I do.
"Good enough for who it's for"
I just try new styles for sh!ts n giggles. Do something different. See what all the hype is about.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For all my work chains with the round file I can sit down and touch up all the cutters within a few minutes. In dirty wood I may touchup the chain in a day a dozen times right up to shutting down for the day, chain's ready for the next morning.
But seeing I can use a Hexa file like a round file I can see some advantages like less touch ups in a day.
A cutting edge with a flat chisel profile is stronger then a concave or hollow ground profile a round file makes especially with that rough weak layer of chrome on the cutting edge.

Here I am round filing in my shop, (at the stump in the bush I'd have a stick or chunk of bark on my knee while filing those right hand cutters.)
This is what 50 years experience looks like:D

View attachment 338212View attachment 338213

Time for the old "milk crate" seat upgrade!

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experience with the Hexa mock up which I copied from Bryan Marks video, was that the time was close with the round filed chain a tiny bit faster than the Hexa mockup.

I ran both on the same chain and bar on a rigid mount Homelite circa 1980.

The difference was that the Hexa was noticeably smoother.
I guess that the small difference for those that run saws for a living may not be worth the cost of files.
Depends what the Hexa files cost or buying expensive three bit files from Pferd or Valorbe.

For guys like me that seldom cut, it's fun to play around with chains.

I learned a lot from you guys in this forum. I'm really happy with my chains now.