Plastic member
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might as well use a Goofy file

How much are they

Looks like a raker file with rills on the edge?

There dam expensive flat files with a round edge. :(

a file is a file if it does the job you want. Why use the expensive files when you can go cheap :cool:

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There dam expensive flat files with a round edge. :(

a file is a file if it does the job you want. Why use the expensive files when you can go cheap :cool:
right! I've seen pics on here..thought that's what they were. The price was comming up £18.
Must mean for one. Anyway ..buddy said half cost of a chisel bit. Must be about $5 to $6. You will have twice the area on the flat parts than you will on the sides (2 vs 4) so you will need a round file for the other side of the file. Soooo..maybe not use a goofy file

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :sconf:

, but far to complicated at this time of night for me :borra2::beer-toast1::dancing:

:SimpHomer:
Well I was fighting sleep so it wasn't the best witten. Edited some.

I was saying providing the files are wide enough then you have two fresh positions per side to file the cutter. On the sides you only have 2 total to file the gullet.
2 vs a possible 4 positions.

Likely at some point you would have to use a round file for the other half/side of the goofy.

Then there is the price thing???

Goofy's a bust!!!

Using a round file..you can advance the gullet slightly first, then sharpen with reg flat file

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The way I see it is you would still need a round gullet file with a goofy, anyway. No?

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The way I see it is you would still need a round gullet file with a goofy, anyway. No?

:sisi3:
Yeh I would think so.

also that’s what I was trying to say last night, why use an expensive goofy/double bevel when you can use a round file in the gullet and they are a lot cheaper

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
:sisi3:
Yeh I would think so.

also that’s what I was trying to say last night, why use an expensive goofy/double bevel when you can use a round file in the gullet and they are a lot cheaper

Hype-train hijacked!!!

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
OK I duplicated that grind on a Oregon bench grinder for round chain.
I flatten the bottom of the stone out and the grinder was set on 60 or 65° angle?
Looks like ya got the tooth a little hot. But that looks good. I just ordered a Simington so I’ll be testing the HEXA against square to see what the benefits are and to see if Stihls claims are correct.

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like ya got the tooth a little hot. But that looks good. I just ordered a Simington so I’ll be testing the HEXA against square to see what the benefits are and to see if Stihls claims are correct.
Yes I did get the one tooth hot. I wanted to do the test on square ground and I got lazy that day.

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am all for a guy giving it a try with an expensive file but It's an expensive file.
Spent $100 a box in 2008

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
People bag on ig but it’s just another platform, you can find bad and good/interesting. View attachment 326503
Yup same thing I did on YouTube I just used a jig. It’s hard to keep that small file at the right angle. I’m pretty meticulous and picky. I want it to be dead on from tooth to tooth. Same concept tho.