Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is quite safe as long as ventilating works and inside vapor barrier is ok. If there is no electricity for a long time loosing pressure difference does it job and moisture has more chance to find its way to insulating layer and frame itself.
It is still ok if building can get rid of that moisture due airflow. But if moisture has no way drying it will cause problems.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When my Dad built his last house, he didn't use a vapor barrier on the inside. He said a house needs to breathe. 10 minutes after the weather changed, you could feel it inside. He also had some huge heating and electric bills from the AC and furnace running too much. It also was not a very comfortable living space.
When we remodeled our old house, we used Tyvek on the outside and plastic sheeting inside. Very comfortable and stable temperature and humidity. We don't burn wood and the heating and electric bills are low. Our main concern otherwise, was to make sure there was enough air space under the roof deck to vent warm air and moisture in the winter.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, now I do understand. That plastic sheeting prevents inside moisture getting to the rockwool etc.
This tyvek is not 100% vapor-proof then?
Anyway - now it makes more sense.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, now I do understand. That plastic sheeting prevents inside moisture getting to the rockwool etc.
This tyvek is not 100% vapor-proof then?
Anyway - now it makes more sense.
Correct. Technical info can be had on the Tyvek site. Before they used housewrap, they used to use tarpaper.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Correct. Technical info can be had on the Tyvek site. Before they used housewrap, they used to use tarpaper.
I used tar paper in some places on my house, and Tyvek on others. I was building it out of pocket, so I used what I either had available, or could afford. I've been living in it for 25 years now....without air conditioning, and with wood heat. Its not perfect....but its ours.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used tar paper in some places on my house, and Tyvek on others. I was building it out of pocket, so I used what I either had available, or could afford. I've been living in it for 25 years now....without air conditioning, and with wood heat. Its not perfect....but its ours.
If it's yours and there is no place you would rather be........, then it is perfect.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In a log house that's sealed up too good with caulk Asianing and stain/sealer finish faced, I have to crack some windows in the fall especially and even some in the winter in the bath and kitchen or water will accumulate on the lower part of the windows and if left too long, black mold will grow on the wood sash and make us sick. Then bleach is needed for cleanup to kill it off. With heat coming from registers from the wood boiler there is no way to exchange air like with a forced air furnace. The shop on the other hand is just 2x6 stud walls with glass insulation and 1/2 douglas fir plywood inside and out and it stays wonderful inside it. Tin ceiling with blown in cellulose darn near to the peak keeps the warmth in. So yes, I do believe in a buildings need for breathing one way or another.
I'll give a couple of opposing examples from my youth...
In the energy crisis of the mid 1970's a big builder came along building new energy efficient homes, they were wrapped in plastic. By the early 1980's, they were being torn apart from the outside, siding removed, plastic torn off, rotten plywood, studs and soaked insulation taken out and all new except the for no plastic replaced again and the home's were then fine. I helped do a few of these "fun" projects.
When seeing my grandparents old(actually the new) house for the first time, I can remember being able to see through the cracks in the walls where the boards shrunk, there was no insulation or anything for that matter, just a big barrel stove in the middle that was kept red hot at all times day and night and everyone was just fine, even with the harshest winters Northern Wisconsin can bring sometimes.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is important to drain water from the roof as far away from the house as possible or into a rainwater tank

Nate.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I asked my boss about a moisture barrier on the inside and he said we are not putting anything there. The way he explained it was that because the outside of the house is sealed off the area in the wall with the insulation won’t see enough of a temperature fluctuation to cause condensation. Also keep in mind I’ve only seen temps in this area drop below 20* Fahrenheit twice in my life.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In a log house that's sealed up too good with caulk Asianing and stain/sealer finish faced, I have to crack some windows in the fall especially and even some in the winter in the bath and kitchen or water will accumulate on the lower part of the windows and if left too long, black mold will grow on the wood sash and make us sick. Then bleach is needed for cleanup to kill it off. With heat coming from registers from the wood boiler there is no way to exchange air like with a forced air furnace. The shop on the other hand is just 2x6 stud walls with glass insulation and 1/2 douglas fir plywood inside and out and it stays wonderful inside it. Tin ceiling with blown in cellulose darn near to the peak keeps the warmth in. So yes, I do believe in a buildings need for breathing one way or another.
I'll give a couple of opposing examples from my youth...
In the energy crisis of the mid 1970's a big builder came along building new energy efficient homes, they were wrapped in plastic. By the early 1980's, they were being torn apart from the outside, siding removed, plastic torn off, rotten plywood, studs and soaked insulation taken out and all new except the for no plastic replaced again and the home's were then fine. I helped do a few of these "fun" projects.
When seeing my grandparents old(actually the new) house for the first time, I can remember being able to see through the cracks in the walls where the boards shrunk, there was no insulation or anything for that matter, just a big barrel stove in the middle that was kept red hot at all times day and night and everyone was just fine, even with the harshest winters Northern Wisconsin can bring sometimes.
In the 70's they decided to put a vapor barrier inside and outside. No chance for the moisture to get out of the wall cavity. They also decided to pack vaulted ceilings tight with insulation. No air movement and produced black mold. I've seen some pretty nice shacks being torn down that were built in that system.
Cracking the windows for a bit of fresh air isn't a bad thing.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought you guy’s might enjoy the crawl space in this house as well. The whole thing is a concrete slab with about 38” of crawl space there.View attachment 400313
Nice, but the creeper would have to go. I got my pony tail stuck in the wheels once.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little more wood work today, and then back to the shop to figure out a game plan . Need to develop the confidence and patience to do what's necessary to get a few of these back into service. 2 are air leaks/crank seals. After that, it's a step at a time.
View attachment 400247View attachment 400248
Oooooh, I spot a Pro Safety wrap in good shape.......

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Using vapour barrier is code up here. If you don’t your insulation will get soaked anywhere the moisture gets through your interior walls and freeze.
My scrib log house breaths but is surprisingly tight for not being Asianed. I had it tested this spring with a door blower test and it came back just below a new conventional built house. I did seal the roof system as tight as I could. R120 in the roof

1 stihl nut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I made my first attempt at video editing.

Nice! I've edited a few videos on other topics. It's fun to share our experiences with people that have similar interests.

Hopefully I can get some footage put together of bucking and splitting and make it interesting.

1 stihl nut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the truck in the shop for an oil change.

I change oil every 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not.

The shop is my happy place. Grandpa built it in 1940 when he started a farm implement dealership . I've been working in it since early 70s and have so many memories of time with dad and grandpa in there. Most signs in there are from the shop and grandpa's general store. There is even a Remington chainsaw sign from when grandpa sold them. They passed away in 94 and 95, but when I'm there, I'm with them.20231213_165241.jpg20231213_165318.jpg

Also got to test a couple saws and my filing skills.