So what did you do today?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was dragging myself around under a flat bed trailer trying to figure out why the electric brakes didn't work. The controller was working and I had power back to the first brake but none of the four had any action. Removed all four hubs, freed up the pivots, cleaned the magnets, greased the bearings, replaced the rubber bearing buddy caps, aired the tires and then started cutting and resplicing wires. Those scotch locks are worthless and this trailer came with a lot of them. Eventually I got all four brakes working and was pretty happy until I found out the lights weren't working. Oh crap. That'll wait till tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's a ground issue as they're glowing a bit.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really good heat shrink and solder is your friend when doing trailer wiring. Most people can’t comprehend how much trouble five wires can cause on a trailer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, no kidding. I have 7 trailers not counting towed equipment and I've worked on the electrical of all of them.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the trailer's tail lights and clearance lights working by jimmy rigging a ground wire. I would have done a better job but it started raining. Only inop light now is the left turn signal/brake. It may have a burned out bulb in the none serviceable fixture but I didn't take the time to test for power as I wanted to stay dry. I've got a 600 mile trip planned for this trailer later this week...

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an interesting evening last night.

I went to church worship band practice, then stayed for our monthly board meeting. When board meeting let out a little after 8, there was a stranger sitting in one of the pews crying Nobody heard him come in from where we were in the community room. Pastor, two other men, and I stayed with him, and shared some of the Good News with him. One of the men left to get him some food from their house, and while he was gone, the stranger got up and said he needed some fresh air, so we let him walk out. After a minute, we heard a truck start up and leave, and we hung around to see if he would come back.

After a while, we got up to go home, and when we walked out, my truck was gone! A strange truck was still in the parking lot. We looked it over, and from some of the attributes of the truck, we decided it might be stolen as well. We gave him a few more minutes, then I called the state troopers in. We waited over 2 hours for them to show up, and I finished giving my report a little after 1:00 this morning.

Fast forward to 7:00 this morning, I was driving my company vehicle to work, when my phone started going bonkers. The stranger came back to the church, with my truck! After the pastor made him breakfast and talked to him, he agreed to surrender to the troopers, who showed up much more quickly when they were called this time. Before they took him, I was able to talk to him on the phone, and he broke down and apologized to me, and I got the opportunity to forgive him.

I am at peace with the whole thing, and I am so amazed at the call on his heart that God placed. He could have been long gone, but he realized it was time to face the consequences of his actions. Since the truck he came to the church in turned out to be stolen from Missouri, and wearing stolen Texas plates, he won't be seeing the outside of a prison very much for a long time, but I have hope that his heart is seeing redemption, and maybe he can begin the long road back to the straight and narrow.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally found the last gremlin in the trailer. Turns out it was a blown fuse under the hood of the truck for "left trailer turn signal". There's a lot of fuses in this vehicle... So now we're all lit up and ready to go. (yeah, I have a spare tire, lol)

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trailer, boat, low voltage DC wiring can be a pain.
On a trailer run a ground thru all lights back to the truck.
Don't count on just the ball/hitch ground.
I use uninsulated connectors then 2 layer of adheasive lined heatshrink.
Solder causes it's own issues.
Dielectric grease in the main plug or at least a good spray lube. No oxygen = no corrosion.

I do a little boat wiring , this method seems to work here in saltwater.
If you need a good source, Buyheatshrink.com

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finishing up on the hydraulic stainless.
bebfcb4f1bc6fa1e42953f02cfce94ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday .How a 20 minute job can turn into all day .Simple thing .installing 20 feet of 1/4" tubing for a refrigerator ice maker . Well the freakin crawl space had 6" of water in it.Two sump pumps failed .Off to Lowes,bought another sump pump.installed it .Come to find out my damned 4" drain was running slow ,WTF .With all the rain the 6" main out on the road was running full,no where to put it .Eventually got the water moved .Then played tunnel rat but found out I had to drill a hole through a foundation no longer used .The house was built in 1983 when interior brick was popular and below floor lever it's a maze of foundations .
I finally got it after about 3 hours of dragging a Hilti rock drill around in a 26" crawl space .
My word when I got out of bed this morning there wasn't a bone in my body that didn't hurt .I hate to admit it but I'm not as young,nor as strong and certainly not as limber as I once was .The refrigerator was delivered today .A replacement for a 25 year old Jenn-Air that died on the vine for some reason .I wanted a Kitchen -Aid but they stopped making the bottom freezer model in black . At my age that's most likely the last one I'll ever need to buy .

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Snapchat-290000320.jpg
I took the kids (026's) to work, then dropped them off at my local Stihl shop to get new crank seals. If I looked casting codes up correctly the left is a 1995, right is a 1997. Notice the differences in the cylinders.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 224291
I took the kids (026's) to work, then dropped them off at my local Stihl shop to get new crank seals. If I looked casting codes up correctly the left is a 1995, right is a 1997. Notice the differences in the cylinders.
Just an fyi...if you were interested in doing it yourself the Stihl seal install tools are probably cheaper than what your paying to get them done.