Setting up a grinder.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
1:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an old grinder. It is either an Oregon or Windsor brand. It will not grind evenly. I read about it not being parallel. What is not parallel and how do you fix it?

Tugg

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it is an older oregon bench grinder or a copycat. On the backside of the chain clamping rails, there is usually a screw that pushes the rails forward. That is the adjustment so it will grind evenly for left and right teeth. if that is what you're saying as "evenly

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Poast a picture of your grinder and the chain holder area. (use the attach files feature)

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an old grinder. It is either an Oregon or Windsor brand. It will not grind evenly. I read about it not being parallel. What is not parallel and how do you fix it?
It is probably because your chain vise is not set properly. There is a allen screw on the backside you tighten or loosen that depending on what gauge your chain is. Put your chain on the rails, use your finger, and see if it wobbles from side to side, turn the screw a little at a time checking the "wobble" as you go. If you get it too tight you will see the chain trying to ride up as it gets to the stop.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a Windor brand, the ser no is 1984 10. The Allen screw in the middle is what adjusts parallel right?

Attachments

• 20230917_092731.jpg
    20230917_092731.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 15

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Allen screw/jam nut adjusts the rear half of the vise in and out so your left and right cutters are the same length. But using a different gauge chain will require another adjustment if you want perfect. Most choose to set it up with .058 gauge so you’re in the middle and call it good enough. Or if you only grind one gauge of chain, set it up for that

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The first thing I did was clean the poor thing. The rails were worn unevenly so I removed them then bolted them together. I then ground them parallel. I reassembled it then I put in a new x cut chain. I messed with the center allen screw until each cutter tip just kissed the wheel. I then ground an old chain to check. The cutters look even to me.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The first thing I did was clean the poor thing. The rails were worn unevenly so I removed them then bolted them together. I then ground them parallel. I reassembled it then I put in a new x cut chain. I messed with the center allen screw until each cutter tip just kissed the wheel. I then ground an old chain to check. The cutters look even to me.
You can put L and R cutters side by side and compare visually. @Philbert does it and it works for him. He might still have a pic

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most full-sized chain grinders have some way to center the grinding wheel. But this changes as the wheel wears, or if you swap wheels.

A good thing to check periodically. But, best to have a way to compensate.

My method takes longer to read than to do. It becomes muscle memory:

- I grind all my Left cutters first;

- Rotate the vise and grind a test / sample Right cutter;

- Compare the sample Right cutter against any one of the Left cutters, for cutter length, gullet depth, angles, etc.

- Make any minor adjustments needed (this quickly becomes intuitive).

- Grind the remaining Right cutters.

I back off the tooth positioning dog and run the gullets on both sides, as needed.

Depth gauges require swapping the grinding wheel, so I often do these with a batch of sharpened loops.

Philbert

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cutters left to right are never 100% exactly the same length. I just turn the chain holder left to right, and don’t think about it much. One side is always a smidge longer than the other. Same on both my Super Jolly and my Simington.
I can’t say I notice anything not working right, or not cutting straight.
I’ve never looked into it, but if someone has tips to correct it, I’d take an extra look and try to correct it.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if someone has tips to correct it, I’d take an extra look and try to correct it.
See my notes, 2 posts above ^^^.

Since I know that my Left are almost always a hair shorter, I start with those. Easier to take an extra hair off of the Right cutters, than put metal back on the Left ones.

When I am sharpening several chains, I can pretty much predict what I need to tweak side-to-side (typically 1/8 to 1/4 turn of the chain back stop and the grinder head travel.

Figure out what works for you.

Philbert

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone do 10* down angle? Right side to the back and left side to the front?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone do 10* down angle? Right side to the back and left side to the front?
I tried that, didn't seem to affect anything bucking turkey oak so I went back to 0°.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cutters left to right are never 100% exactly the same length. I just turn the chain holder left to right, and don’t think about it much. One side is always a smidge longer than the other. Same on both my Super Jolly and my Simington.
I can’t say I notice anything not working right, or not cutting straight.
I’ve never looked into it, but if someone has tips to correct it, I’d take an extra look and try to correct it.
Custom wheel contact plate and shims of a variety of thicknesses.
Then You tinker a bit and figure out an approximate center of a specific wheel, repeat for wheels of other thicknesses.

I tried it, it works, but I don't bother with it as I keep swapping wheels for 3/8" , .325" and Carbide.
I simply adjust the tooth stop accordingly when switching from LH to RH or vice versa.

IMG_20230921_172301.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Custom wheel contact plate and shims of a variety of thicknesses.
Then You tinker a bit and figure out an approximate center of a specific wheel, repeat for wheels of other thicknesses.

I tried it, it works, but I don't bother with it as I keep swapping wheels for 3/8" , .325" and Carbide.
I simply adjust the tooth stop accordingly when switching from LH to RH or vice versa.

View attachment 390561
WOW!

Philbert