Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a raker wheel for my Stihl USG. It grinds the inside raker fine. The outside rakers produce a lot of chatter on the wheel (for some but not all the rakers). It looks like it wears the wheel out quick; I can feel small chunks of the wheel hitting me when it chatters and bounces.

Anybody else experience this grinding rakers (on any grinder)? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a fix?

The obvious solution seems to reverse the wheel direction for the outside rakers, but that is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
6:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s your settings. ? And Is the chain clamped good.
Ie stihl say ……
,see pics below…

I’ve got a usg and just got a new wheel as it never came with one when I got it 2nd hand. So I’m very intrigued, as I will be in your shoes at sometime in the near future 😉

Btw, If you don’t have the manual I’m sure i can send it .
IMG_3972.png
IMG_3973.png

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
1:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There might be some movement in the chain. When grinding the rakers on the back side, the chassis will flex slightly the way the wheel is spinning, which is away from the wheel. When you do the front side rakers, as they flex, that rocking action lifts the raker higher into the wheel causing chatter

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a raker wheel for my Stihl USG. It grinds the inside raker fine. The outside rakers produce a lot of chatter on the wheel (for some but not all the rakers). It looks like it wears the wheel out quick; I can feel small chunks of the wheel hitting me when it chatters and bounces.

Anybody else experience this grinding rakers (on any grinder)? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a fix?

The obvious solution seems to reverse the wheel direction for the outside rakers, but that is not an option.

Thanks in advance.
I turn the chain around in the vise for the second side ,presenting the raker away from protruding
and this avoids the chatter .

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There might be some movement in the chain. When grinding the rakers on the back side, the chassis will flex slightly the way the wheel is spinning, which is away from the wheel. When you do the front side rakers, as they flex, that rocking action lifts the raker higher into the wheel causing chatter
Probably the case. I was sharpening .063 chain; then went to .050 and .043. to do some rakers, without making any adjustments, because it is a minor inconvenience to do so.

Thanks for the input.

I turn the chain around in the vise for the second side ,presenting the raker away from protruding
and this avoids the chatter .
I don't see how this would work. Seems like the wheel will hit the cutter; and the wheel will be grinding the wrong side of the raker. got any pics?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s your settings. ? And Is the chain clamped good.
Ie stihl say ……
,see pics below…

I’ve got a usg and just got a new wheel as it never came with one when I got it 2nd hand. So I’m very intrigued, as I will be in your shoes at sometime in the near future 😉

Btw, If you don’t have the manual I’m sure i can send it .
View attachment 394880
View attachment 394879
My settings are correct.

Thanks for the input.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
6:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably the case. I was sharpening .063 chain; then went to .050 and .043. to do some rakers, without making any adjustments, because it is a minor inconvenience to do so.
Yes I agree with you.

In the manual, it says something about different guage chains and faffing about with spacers to clamp the thinner chains.

I didn’t get them spacers either 🤷‍♂️ and I thought about getting some washers instead 🤦‍♂️
Anyhow after all it was only about $350 I paid for my usg.. so I can’t complain to much.

But I’m still intrigued as I know I will be in your boots sometime soon 🤔😉

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
10:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just turn the chain around

Grind from inside like filing from inside

You might also be able to offset enough to get on the other side of the center of the wheel…but will probably affect depth