Getting Tired Of Oregon Chain

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After 2 or 3 loops of Oregon LPX destroying brand new files, I'm getting tired of it. I've been an Oregon fan for a long time, but........

It seems like I am getting 5 or 6 cutters in a row, on every chain, that are super-hard and they ruin a new file. I'm learning to skip over them and sharpen them with a die grinder and carbide bur, but that's not the way it should be.

If every loop costs me a new file or two, that drives the cost of chain way up.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After 2 or 3 loops of Oregon LPX destroying brand new files, I'm getting tired of it. I've been an Oregon fan for a long time, but........

It seems like I am getting 5 or 6 cutters in a row, on every chain, that are super-hard and they ruin a new file. I'm learning to skip over them and sharpen them with a die grinder and carbide bur, but that's not the way it should be.

Had some EXJ that had three or four that were pretty hard, enough to ruin a new Vallorbe file ,

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
12:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I’ve had EXL do this. I purchase 100’ rolls and it can happen on a few chains I make from the roll. Always Right Side cutters IME. What I found works is to get real aggressive and apply significant pressure to the file - it’s like it’s a build up of the chrome plating on the edge of the tooth, not the tooth itself. Once you break through it (2-3 strokes) it files normally.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last time I got lpx it definitely looked different from what I’m used to getting. Looked like the exl and it did have some hard teeth.

I liked the old Lpx, I know it’s the redheaded step child of Full Chisel chain but it didn’t cut any slower than Lgx in my experience.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been utilizing Oregon and Dolmar branded Oregon on most my saws, didn't notice any significant hardness throughout individual loops.
Although, the first two filings take a heavy toll on round files getting the factory grind to a round C.

I did notice the hard teeth issue on the few Stihl loops I have, it is annoying to say the least.

That been said, I don't think it is a mere matter of the chains, yet rather a matter of significantly softer new production (past decade or so) files.
I have an ages old Stihl file that comes out to handle things whenever a new/as new Stihl/Husqvarna/Oberg file just slides instead of biting - this thing IS dull and leaves a bur, but with pressure it still bites into what seemed like hard teeth.
FYI, old Stihl file = stamped markings made in Germany, new Stihl files = laser edged markings made in Switzerland.
I'd love to find a box of those old Stihl round files!

Getting my MAXX grinder is the best thing I did, already saved me hours of filing chains and I can grind my Carbide chains.

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon has always been B grade garbage.
Well, Oregon sells more of that "B grade garbage" to professionals than anyone else :). I like the EXL chain a lot, minus the fact it stretches like crazy. Of course I use a grinder so it doesn't really matter about hardened teeth to me...

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
12:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, Oregon sells more of that "B grade garbage" to professionals than anyone else :). I like the EXL chain a lot, minus the fact it stretches like crazy. Of course I use a grinder so it doesn't really matter about hardened teeth to me...
I only notice stretch after the first run of a loop, seems to “settle” after that.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl chain stretches worse than Oregon chain in my experience. I’d guess it’s to do with the hardness compared to Oregon.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was sharpening a 3/8 EXL chain on a tree service guy's 372xp couple weeks ago. My flat file danced right over the rakers like it wasn't even a file. Eventually took out a small diamond flat stone.

I use mostly oregon bars and chain, and have never experienced this. Must be recent?

Then the made in china oregon round files are always useless. So always try to grab round Swiss files made by whoever.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Baileys at one time offered files with different degrees of aggresiveness .For hard chain you need the less aggressive .Generally speaking the standard Oregon file will not stand up very long with hard Stihl chain . I haven't used Baileys in a long time so I have no idea what they offer these days .

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A big testimony for me was trying both new stihl 36rsf and 75CJX on a 50 inch cannon bar. Both tightened the same, after 3 minutes of piss revving, the oregon chain was sagging so much it about came off the bar. The stihl chain had only stretched slightly.
Fair enough, I don’t run chains of that size but I trust your experience with it. It’s too bad that Oregon is going down the tubes, it’s the only US manufactured saw chain that I know of.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fair enough, I don’t run chains of that size but I trust your experience with it. It’s too bad that Oregon is going down the tubes, it’s the only US manufactured saw chain that I know of.
That being said, I do see the quality of new stihl chain going down the toilet. Had a roll of 36rs that had several .050 drivers mixed in, and a few cutters on backwards.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been utilizing Oregon and Dolmar branded Oregon on most my saws, didn't notice any significant hardness throughout individual loops.
Although, the first two filings take a heavy toll on round files getting the factory grind to a round C.

I did notice the hard teeth issue on the few Stihl loops I have, it is annoying to say the least.

That been said, I don't think it is a mere matter of the chains, yet rather a matter of significantly softer new production (past decade or so) files.
I have an ages old Stihl file that comes out to handle things whenever a new/as new Stihl/Husqvarna/Oberg file just slides instead of biting - this thing IS dull and leaves a bur, but with pressure it still bites into what seemed like hard teeth.
FYI, old Stihl file = stamped markings made in Germany, new Stihl files = laser edged markings made in Switzerland.
I'd love to find a box of those old Stihl round files!

Getting my MAXX grinder is the best thing I did, already saved me hours of filing chains and I can grind my Carbide chains.

IMG_20230427_121342129.jpg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love Oregon chain. Haven’t bought any in a year or so though. Sure it does stretch first couple tightening. It always has. It’s not as durable as stihl or Carlton used to be but it’s my favorite on long bars. Only thing I buy