Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was talking with an Oregon representative on the phone the other day and it was made mention to me that the plant in Oregon is sitting idle and bars are now made in China. Don't know about the Windsor plant that makes chain whether or not it's still producing.
I also received no help with my inquiry either. :(

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was talking with an Oregon representative on the phone the other day and it was made mention to me that the plant in Oregon is sitting idle and bars are now made in China. Don't know about the Windsor plant that makes chain whether or not it's still producing.
I also received no help with my inquiry either. :(
That’s what happens when giant global investors, get involved in a company and turns into there own , happens to often these days ,

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I got my Echo CS-500P, I bought a new "Oregon" bar which turned out to be Chicom. I unloaded it on Fleabay and got a Tsumura for not much more. Japanese stuff is top notch, two of my Echo saws and my Shindaiwa weedeater were made there.

It’s silly how much those oem laminated Echo bars sell for.
Be cool if we had these Echo Sugihara and Tsumura bars in the US.

images (14).jpegimages (13).jpeg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If they are elusive about where it’s made, that usually means China.
Should be marked on the package.

Was talking with an Oregon representative on the phone the other day and it was made mention to me that the plant in Oregon is sitting idle and bars are now made in China.
Everyone with bad chains should contact Oregon directly:

1-800-223-5168, Monday through Friday 6:30 AM - 4:00 PM PST.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/contact-us-form#:~:text=We're%20here%20to%20help,AM%20%2D%204%3A00%20PM%20PST

They used to be very good about resolving issues, and need to hear about common defects.

Philbert

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update on oregon chain:
So as mentioned few months ago, lgx .325 chain bought in the late winter and spring was hard to sharpen, ruined files. Same with an occasional loop of 3/8 exl.

Just ran a loop of 3/8 EXL bought couple weeks ago. Cut well out of the box, Sharpened easily, stayed sharp, and very little chain stretch.

Was on the Yukon river cutting firewood and falling/milling white spruce into 16 ft long slabs.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was sharpening a 3/8 EXL chain on a tree service guy's 372xp couple weeks ago. My flat file danced right over the rakers like it wasn't even a file. Eventually took out a small diamond flat stone.

I use mostly oregon bars and chain, and have never experienced this. Must be recent?

Then the made in china oregon round files are always useless. So always try to grab round Swiss files made by whoever.
I had this happen for the first time a couple weeks ago. Was sawing up a big old horse chestnut that a friend had taken down. Was a yard tree in the city and I het metal twice. The one loop I was noodling with had 5-6 rakers that the file skated on. I had to apply a lot of pressure to remove that hardened material, then the file cut in fine.

Should be marked on the package.

Everyone with bad chains should contact Oregon directly:

1-800-223-5168, Monday through Friday 6:30 AM - 4:00 PM PST.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/contact-us-form#:~:text=We're%20here%20to%20help,AM%20%2D%204%3A00%20PM%20PST

They used to be very good about resolving issues, and need to hear about common defects.

Philbert
I can attest to this. April '21 I found a smokin deal on craigslist, I think it was 10 loops of 32" LGX for $100. Several loops had drive links that looked like this:
1691584870134.png

Emailed Oregon and within 2 weeks they sent me 4 brand new in the box loops of EXL to replace it, no further questions asked, and didn't want the old stuff returned.

I have since used the EXL a bunch and it's been fine IME. Even milling. Yes, [all]chain stretches initially... :buenrollo:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had this happen for the first time a couple weeks ago. Was sawing up a big old horse chestnut that a friend had taken down. Was a yard tree in the city and I het metal twice. The one loop I was noodling with had 5-6 rakers that the file skated on. I had to apply a lot of pressure to remove that hardened material, then the file cut in fine.

I can attest to this. April '21 I found a smokin deal on craigslist, I think it was 10 loops of 32" LGX for $100. Several loops had drive links that looked like this:
View attachment 386294

Emailed Oregon and within 2 weeks they sent me 4 brand new in the box loops of EXL to replace it, no further questions asked, and didn't want the old stuff returned.

I have since used the EXL a bunch and it's been fine IME. Even milling. Yes, [all]chain stretches initially... :buenrollo:
I’d run those rounded loops no problem.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon first choice, but getting a liking for Husqvarna X-Cut.

I don't know why, but I can not find a liking for Stihl RS.

IIRC, those rounded Oregon DL's were supposed to "anchor" the chain better in the bars groove, help make straighter cuts - or something like that.
I think oiling was a concern by customers and the feature didn't take root.
I'd use such a chain the way it is no questions asked!