High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

One more shootout discussion: 288xp vs 390xp

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
11:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I am already somewhat stuck in the 70's, I don't mind the feel of the stock AV. I don't have one currently but I even prefer a Ridgid frame motorcycle, so much that it wouldn't take much for me to trade my modern fuel injected bike for one! Only thing I would miss is the 6speed...
Example given just to explain my mentality and demonstrate that what most people see as the problem with the 288 is part of the appeal for me, that and the excellent power band...

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
12:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't say to get rid of your 288's. One thing you can do with your 288 I play with the av setup. Try it with springs, with the rubber, try it with springs and rubberor hell try it with missing some if the av mounts. @Spike60 would know but I believe there was also a hard and soft rubber mounts available for them. I think @mdavlee was playing with the mount setups to get a more "modern" feel out of them. It also depends what bar you are going to be running on it also. You dont want to soft of a setup with a long bar.
Spri vs were too floppy and felt like it vibrated more with the springs all flexed.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not really having a problem with majority of what I need, but stumpy was right it was the high top and related parts, I called you about maybe a year ago hoping you could work miracles,you did let me down easy so as not to damage my frail sensibilities :oops:
I had a cracked top and figured I would replace with what I wanted!
While you're here, tell me wether or not the rest of the body panels and fuel tank are still available? I do love my 288's
and with parts availability may just spring for a powder coating so they look as good as they run...
Everything plastics wise is still available except the high top just be ready to lay down some cash for them. I just bought new oem recoil, clutch cover and top cover

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Everything plastics wise is still available except the high top just be ready to lay down some cash for them. I just bought new oem recoil, clutch cover and top cover
What are we talking $200-250 bucks for the 3pcs.?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really having a problem with majority of what I need, but stumpy was right it was the high top and related parts, I called you about maybe a year ago hoping you could work miracles,you did let me down easy so as not to damage my frail sensibilities :oops:
While you're here, tell me wether or not the rest of the body panels and fuel tank are still available? I do love my 288's
and with parts availability may just spring for a powder coating so they look as good as they run...

I can do that with prices tomorrow sometime. I think the top covers are only about $30. Starters and chain brakes obviously a bit more. I think I still have a couple of the early small decal starters in stock, but don't have the small decals. (other than some 181SE decals)

Toad22t

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I have a powdered 288 case, nos high top, powdered clutch cover and a really nice starter and low top cover. Well is actually a builder with a bow saw.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The wrap handle is NLA is it not? Do any aftermarket manufacturers make one?

Pro-Safety made one for a while but it was a fairly short production run in the early-mid 90's. They pop-up on Ebay once in a great while. That was the only aftermarket version I know of.

USA brand made a sweet full-wrap replacement for the 266/268/272 for a time that I much prefer over the OEM handle but again they were only made for about four or five years.

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can do that with prices tomorrow sometime. I think the top covers are only about $30. Starters and chain brakes obviously a bit more. I think I still have a couple of the early small decal starters in stock, but don't have the small decals. (other than some 181SE decals)
Well in that case,you might as well check on the fuel tank and see if it's available at your convenience. Thanks. Matt....

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll not be trading my 288 away just because the 3 series have some engineering advantages. Old dogs gotta eat, and I intend to feed mine for a long time.
No, I wouldn't either, just stirring the pot! But I would also like to have a 390!

And a 395!

And a 3120 !

Not to mention a few more Dolmars!
And maybe even a few of those Orange Sherbet Saw's
Doesn't really sound like I have a problem doe's it?
I knew I was at the right place for people to
understand the ailments I suffer from...

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I kind of want a high top now. I ran a few tanks through my 288 today and I was not pleased with how bad fines were getting into the carb. Sucks the high top kits are so dang expensive when or if they can be found.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, I wouldn't either, just stirring the pot! But I would also like to have a 390!

And a 395!

And a 3120 !

Not to mention a few more Dolmars!
And maybe even a few of those Orange Sherbet Saw's
Doesn't really sound like I have a problem doe's it?
I knew I was at the right place for people to
understand the ailments I suffer from...
Same here brother, I still want a 390 and a 395. Oh and I want another 346NE. It never ends.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I kind of want a high top now. I ran a few tanks through my 288 today and I was not pleased with how bad fines were getting into the carb. Sucks the high top kits are so dang expensive when or if they can be found.

Once the dust has settled from outboard-mania, I would throw up a WTB for an HD setup for your 288.... Who knows, you might find someone willing to work a deal with ya on your ported 372XT top end????

As much fines in the intake as you say after not that much runtime... I would be chomping at the bit for an HD setup...

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once the dust has settled from outboard-mania, I would throw up a WTB for an HD setup for your 288.... Who knows, you might find someone willing to work a deal with ya on your ported 372XT top end????

As much fines in the intake as you say after not that much runtime... I would be chomping at the bit for an HD setup...
I'm searching the web for one as we speak.