High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Considering new 90cc class saw: stihl 661mtronic or non mtronic vs husqvarna 390xp

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
11:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys, all of the problems ive heard about with the 661 like m tronics, coils, seizing, intake boots etc... is that only the early versions? And in stock form between the 661, 390, and 395, which of the 3 is going to have the most wow factor as in pure power, ability to cut thru a big log like nothing
Raw power...395...ability to oil long bars through dry punky oak...395
Straight cookie cuts through level logs for rounds...395
Maneuverability... smooth....awkward grounds ...661
Felling a big somofibeach oak...661
Just personal preference for me as I'm a firewood hack with a Jones for big saws.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys, all of the problems ive heard about with the 661 like m tronics, coils, seizing, intake boots etc... is that only the early versions? And in stock form between the 661, 390, and 395, which of the 3 is going to have the most wow factor as in pure power, ability to cut thru a big log like nothing
The only mods i rele have planned is a good muffler mod maybe slight timing advance. I have also seen where 395's are coming from brazil now, is that a reason to stay away from that model if i so chose?

Quality wise, all of these saws have had initial querks that are solved now. All very good quality and durability. The power of all 3 saws is a little different. I forget which ones are which but someone will come along to clarify. All very powerful saws, just some are better for certain types of cuts

Magnumtipton

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know the 390 and 395 have been around a lot longer but also know the 661 has been out here for a while now. I guess i like to play it safe and have a tried and true design

SawNut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some would say in this application Mtronic could be a negative, especially if you throw the saw on a mill, I'd never run any auto adjusting saw on a mill.
I used to say the same thing, until I put some runtime on my 661. I specifically asked the dealer if he'd warranty it on a mill. He said sure, so I thought why not. Bought my 6 bottles of Ultra for a 2 year warranty. That was 7 years ago now. Have never had it back in the shop.

95% of its runtime has been while strapped to my Alaskan, with a 32" bar. Saw only has a muffler mod (no baffle and enlarged stock outlet). Everything else is stock. Mine is an "original" 661, that had the old Mtronic module. Never had an issue with that, but have updated it to the latest one, and it appears to run exactly the same. Piston wash looks just about right. If it were a manual carb saw, I may fatten it up a tiny bit...but no evidence of any piston scuffing in dozens and dozens of gallons through it. I've milled hundreds of board feet, sometimes WOT for 10+ minutes at a time. Only stop to sharpen the chain and fill the tanks.

As for bar oiling...I use an aux oiler. IMO, more bar oil from the saw would just fling off the tip anyway. It needs oiling just downstream of the sprocket. It definitely keeps the bar cooler.

Magnumtipton

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well thanks for that that sound reassuring, i know mill work is the toughest cutting a saw can do

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I used to say the same thing, until I put some runtime on my 661. I specifically asked the dealer if he'd warranty it on a mill. He said sure, so I thought why not. Bought my 6 bottles of Ultra for a 2 year warranty. That was 7 years ago now. Have never had it back in the shop.

95% of its runtime has been while strapped to my Alaskan, with a 32" bar. Saw only has a muffler mod (no baffle and enlarged stock outlet). Everything else is stock. Mine is an "original" 661, that had the old Mtronic module. Never had an issue with that, but have updated it to the latest one, and it appears to run exactly the same. Piston wash looks just about right. If it were a manual carb saw, I may fatten it up a tiny bit...but no evidence of any piston scuffing in dozens and dozens of gallons through it. I've milled hundreds of board feet, sometimes WOT for 10+ minutes at a time. Only stop to sharpen the chain and fill the tanks.

As for bar oiling...I use an aux oiler. IMO, more bar oil from the saw would just fling off the tip anyway. It needs oiling just downstream of the sprocket. It definitely keeps the bar cooler.

Hell yea. go stihl or go home

huskyhank

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like the 661 is the right saw for you.

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I've never milled with a saw but your experience is what I would expect.

Thinking I need an adjustable carb to mill to me would be like saying I want a carburetor on my new f350 with a 7.3 because the fuel injection wont keep up with me towing a max capacity. (all hypothetical, I dont have said truck)

I understand we are talking water cooled 4 stroke vs air cooled 2 stroke in my analogy but the saw was designed from the get go to be able to compensate for whatever was thrown at it from a fuel/oil/air standpoint.

Of course I've been wrong before but thats my logic

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lol 880 is way more than i want to spend or carry for that matter have cut with one before fully oiled, gassed, and barred up they are a heavy sumb***h

I know.. I know.. but still. It would be pretty fun

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Those were the early issues, later on it was the solenoid, which may have been cause by the fuel pickup not filtering down small enough, the newer filters "which are orange" seem to be getting the job done. I would say the 661 has been a solid bet for a couple of years now. Early on they were a total mess, I don't care what anyone says. I mean some liked the early 550xp and those were garbage too.

Sock the 661 will have the chain speed, 395 will out grunt it.

The 390 needs at least a mm and some timing to come around, preferably porting. Once ported the 390 is an animal and will hang with most any saw until you get in 32" plus wood, but definitely takes porting to get it there. The 390 is just a bit lighter and smaller than the 661, a good all around saw.

To me personally a 90cc saw is something to grab when I run into really big rounds, which is why I recommend the 395, for other tasks I'll grab a 70cc saw.

Now the 500i and old school 7900 make things more interesting as they're in the 70cc weigh class, but outclass them in power. The 390 "which is still one of my favorites" is an in between saw, hard to say where it fits exactly.

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never milled with a saw but your experience is what I would expect.

Thinking I need an adjustable carb to mill to me would be like saying I want a carburetor on my new f350 with a 7.3 because the fuel injection wont keep up with me towing a max capacity. (all hypothetical, I dont have said truck)

I understand we are talking water cooled 4 stroke vs air cooled 2 stroke in my analogy but the saw was designed from the get go to be able to compensate for whatever was thrown at it from a fuel/oil/air standpoint.

Of course I've been wrong before but thats my logic
The Mtronic and AT systems have had issues dealing with some fuels, oils and environmental conditions. In some of these cases running saws too lean, in others too rich. This is the history of these systems, they've been greatly improved over the past so many years. Because of this some still prefer non auto adjusting carbs.

Also if an engine does develop, say an air leak, this can be compensated for, and in doing so the operator may not notice something is wrong, until complete failure.

These systems are improving, over time trust will be gained. The fact early iterations from both manufacturers had flaws, greatly slowed acceptance.

Last edited:

Magnumtipton

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have an old sachs dolmar 112 i bring out only once in a while just to use and keep it running, love the old dolmars rock solid built dependable, and every bit the saw that a stihl is. ive heard nothing but good things about the 7900, had a chance to buy a very lightly used one but there is no dealer anywhere near here dont want the headache of chasin parts down.

Magnumtipton

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess i am old school i was thinking of getting the standard carb 661, my dealer seems to think the m tronic version is a little faster tho

Magnumtipton

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Most definitely a nice one i like the side tensioner, and the inboard clutch on the 390.