Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a quick update to this thread, I have about 200 blank rods at my machinists place now. They will be on that asap. Again they are being threadmilled on a mazak cnc lathe and cross drilled on a cnc mill. cool stuff.

I'm down to my last few kits in the meantime. I hope to have enough overlap that I don't run out, but who knows.

I keep having great conversations with people and meeting new people ... what an adventure.

Thanks again guys for the patronage!

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those people watching the video... just to clarify...

Position the bearings in the crankcase properly first. Once they are in the case...then grab the crank tools.

Rod on first....then sleeve...then handle ....then washer and nut. Junkwrencher was doing it a tad out of order.

Also ..the flywheel side rods now include a smaller diameter handle. Less likely to break the rod than the one shown in the vid.

Glad the tools work well for ya!

Junkwrencher

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those people watching the video... just to clarify...

Position the bearings in the crankcase properly first. Once they are in the case...then grab the crank tools.

Rod on first....then sleeve...then handle ....then washer and nut. Junkwrencher was doing it a tad out of order.

Also ..the flywheel side rods now include a smaller diameter handle. Less likely to break the rod than the one shown in the vid.

Glad the tools work well for ya!
Thank you sir.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need some help.
I assume one end of these rods work on a 394/5 flywheel side. I couldn’t get any of mine to fit. Does anyone know which end of which rod fits? Like, could I identify the correct rod by threading a known thread pattern bolt into the opposite end of said rod.
The fw nut turned on the crank ok. Just wondering if my 394 rod end has buggered threads inside, and if so, what tap I need to use to clean it up

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
M12x1.25 left hand is the one you want.

If you have a main kit... it's the middle size of the 3/4" rods. M10 m12 M14 are the main rod sizes for tapped ends.

Ship the m12 rod back to me and I'll retap or get u fresh.

I just ran out of rods but if it was a machining error I owe u fresh new.

New stock is a few weeks out :(

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh shoot...sorry... fw side not clutch.

M10x1.0rh ....small rod. I have a few of those left. Contact me and I'll send u fresh.....just send me the old so i can see what went wrong.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh shoot...sorry... fw side not clutch.

M10x1.0rh ....small rod. I have a few of those left. Contact me and I'll send u fresh.....just send me the old so i can see what went wrong.
No big deal yet Matty. I believe this could possibly have been from me trying to find one that fit a 661. And I may have buggered the threads up a little bit. I have a good set of taps, but I just need to be for sure which end of what rod I need to do it to. Do you know what’s on the other end of this rod?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
4/22/20 Quick update on tools. I started planning for the next batch of tools a few months ago. Since then we've had some... uh, global events. These have had an albeit minor effect on the tools ... a tad behind schedule. That said, the next batch will be in production early next week and again, will try to stay ontop of it from here. Some changes:

1: new jigs being made by my machinist to help speed up things

2: on a go forward basis I'm going to have my machinist make the aluminum sleeves if possible (instead of me making them on the old lathe I have access to)

3: NEW THREAD SIZE.... this is super important. I have been under the impression ...for many years that 075/076 family of saws have m14x1.0lh thread...similar to 880... I was wrong. indeed they have a unique thread size for the clutch side, m12x1.5LH... There indeed will be a solution to this. I'm trying to keep things super simple here, for my sanity as well as everyone elses.

right now I am taking preorders for the next batch and have one order already. first come first served per usual. I'm still getting emails on a regular basis, so I'm going to assume demand is still there for tools, and will be making these for the forseeable future. I haven't been keeping track lately, but I'm sure the number of kits sold is now over 300, worldwide. super exciting! been fun getting to know all kinds of new people!

thanks everyone!

-Mattyo