Octane Gas Test - 661

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
4:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
next thing I want to do would be to figure out when the tanker is coming. Then buy gas before it gets here and then buy the same amount of gas after it gets here. Mix each up and run each for time....

So see if there are differences (times & temps) between the "old" gas and "new" fresh gas just off the tanker.

Last edited:

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
what does the gas station attendant say when you bust out gallon milk jugs to fill up? :meparto: I believe thats illegal down here in my neck-o-the-woods

Last edited:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
next thing I want to do would be to figure out when the tanker is coming. Then buy gas before it gets here and then buy the same amount of gas after it gets here. Mix each up and run each for time....

So see if there are differences (times & temps) between the "old" gas and "new" fresh gas just off the tanker.

:facepalm:

stihlman441

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score

If i see a tanker filling a fuel sevo over here and i need fuel i go to another one all they do is lift and mix all the crap of the bottom of the tanks,no thanks.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All gas has its RVP measured at the refinery. As it gets shaken around in the tanker truck it looses rvp. Think of it like a bottle of soda, when first opened it is really fizzy but after a few days in the fridge being opened and closed it looses its fizz. Shaking gas and heat will reduce its vapour pressure. Serious racers know about this and will often turn up to a race meet with their gas in a cooler with ice. Their fuel container will be full not half empty. Why do this stupid stuff? Well to some racing is important & having the most volatile fuel will make most power. When you shake your mix can and then open its lid you first hear a tshhrrr then get that nice smell of the gas you have. This is bad from a performance perspective, that pressure coming out of your can is making it less volatile, its loosing what I call 'front ends'. Quality fresh gas should have a RVP somewhere between 4-6 but the average Joe is usually burning gas around 1-4. Redbull could test his gas and make a home made RVP (reed vapour pressure) tester with a long drink can, psi gauge, hose & JB weld. If you want to take gas seriously knowing its rvp reading is the data you want. A bit silly I know for cookie cutting with a saw.....but.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A fuel truck comes about every week to the station so gas stays fresh.
Whether your gas station is his first delivery or last is whats important and will determine how good it is.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
re ran the test yesterday in the big oak cant yesterday.

2345sj.jpg

cenex 87 - 46.4 sec 339F
cenex 92 - 46.3 sec 315F
BP 91 - 45.3 sec 322F
Fleet Farm 91 - 47.0 sec 328F
Fleet Farm 89 - 45.8 sec 309F

here are the previous results back in march... (or jump back to the first post for full details)

4zupE2b.jpg

There seems to be some patterns and consistencies. But doesn't seem real significant. I think the saw ran and sounded best on the 91bp. I think it ran and sounded worst on 87 cenex. That's about all I know.
We ran bp high octane in our crf450f when we practiced but ran vp race fuel to race. BP always worked well

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

the big thing that people say is that there is a lot of sediment in the gas stirred up by the tanker delivery.
I would love to see pre and post-tanker gas run through a cloth strainer :)