Huskyboy meets the ms462c

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Be worth it to grab a few muff covers Mike. Try 3/8's, ect. Experiment in different locations on cover. Test after each change.
See if it gains or loses.
All for the good of the order...lol

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good idea Jeff, but I'm not the one with the dyno!

It has been my experience, that on stock 70 cc saws, two quarter inch holes work well. (440; 460; 461; 462). (Note: Limiters must be removed on standard carb saws).

They provide a noticeable increase in performance w/o significantly more noise or significantly more fuel consumption.

Addl openings may just make more noise and burn more fuel.

I am not saying this is always going to be the case, but since I have experienced negative traits on some saws (with larger openings) I would rather remain conservative on work saws.

Ported saws will often need more outlet flow, but that is dependent on the nature of the porting.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I do a muff mod for a local tree guy or pro firewood guy, I want it to work well EVERY time.

This mod has consistently produced good gains w/o creating the negative effects, so I stick with it.

I would rather leave a little untapped performance in exchange for reliability.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put a stock muffler back on mine (had opened up the stock outlet a bunch on the previous muffler) and have been running it with a 20 inch and an 8 pin sprocket. Fuel economy has finally come right and she pulls well in most everything. I like how the 8 pin keeps it off the limiter, the sound of which I find irritating. Would be interesting to know if it affects fuel consumption.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike: no need for a Dyno. Just need a good test stick of wood and time the cuts. Real world use testing.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a whole lot of gain in cut speed... but definitely a improvement in torque imo. Before the muffler mod the saw would just stop when leaned on without much indication of lugging down. Now it’s much more forgiving if you push on it, giving the operator a chance to allow it to recover without stopping. I also noticed it doesn’t run as hot after a muffler mod. A good thing. I like this saw with a muffler mod, reminds me a lot of a 372xp non-xtorq.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
6:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a whole lot of gain in cut speed... but definitely a improvement in torque imo. Before the muffler mod the saw would just stop when leaned on without much indication of lugging down. Now it’s much more forgiving if you push on it, giving the operator a chance to allow it to recover without stopping. I also noticed it doesn’t run as hot after a muffler mod. A good thing. I like this saw with a muffler mod, reminds me a lot of a 372xp non-xtorq.
I had no idea that a tach worked on a 462

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never ran either of mine stock! Modded the muffler on the first one before I even fired it up, and the second one went directly to get ported before I got it.

While that was happening I had an opportunity to get the first one ported and jumped on it! Love em both!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He's just taking it for a test run. He wants to see and feel what FAST saw runs like...[emoji1787]

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s that power head weigh with fuel and oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunno. Probably 16-17 ish pounds. Just a guess. I don’t cut with no bar mounted so that pho spec doesn’t really matter to me.
I had no idea that a tach worked on a 462
Seems to work fine. It’s a fast tach tiny tach.

Last edited: