Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
1:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get a bunch of Archer FastFiler roller guide jigs in every pitch and be done with it!
Archer FastFiler filed chains are the fastest cutting chains I ever filed.
I increased durability once I made and utilized my own custom made side rollers altering the file angle.
The quite quickly wearing bottom rollers got replaced with easy "renewable" bottom rollers once I made and utilized my own custom made bottom rollers.

Just to be clear, the Archer FastFiler roller guide jig works perfectly fine factory stock!
And the jig is "mobile" and can be used both in the shop as well as in the field.

Just saying!
Why complicate things for people that do not understand the matter of filing chainsaw chains.
I would like to see pictures!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Archer FastFiler roller guides for 3/8" pitch chains.
Fits only full complement, not suitable for semi nor full skip.

Far right 100% OEM, works very good, generates a fairly aggressive cutter.
Middle guide features custom renewable side rollers (steel + fuel line tubing) and easy replaceable bottom rollers (acetal/delrin). The racker roller is OEM, as are all filing angles.
Far left guide features fully custom made rollers. Bottom rollers are renewable steel + fuel line tubing, side rollers are steel (small OD) and acetal/delrin (large OD). The difference in OD of the side rollers generates a less pointy top plate corner (about 35° instead of 25°) and makes the cutter much more durable without sacrificing any self feeding. The side rollers need to be swapped around for filing LH & RH cutters. This is my most used setup!

IMG_20221006_104256.jpg IMG_20221006_104235.jpg IMG_20221006_104201.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OEM Archer FastFiler for .325"
IMG_20221006_104344.jpg IMG_20221006_104337.jpg

OEM Archer FastFiler for 3/8"LP/Picco
IMG_20221006_104328.jpg IMG_20221006_104320.jpg

No FastFiler can be used for semi/full skip as the guide rest on the cutters in front and behind the tooth that gets sharpened!

The fast filers work on full complement safety chains, additional drive link and tie strap humps do not interfere with the guide!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna roller guide for 3/8" chain.
Flimsy to use, no side file guidance.
Didn't fit my Oregon chains and I had to file the slots wider.
Can file semi & full skip chain as the guide rests on the tie straps.
Can not file safety chains with humps on the tie straps.

IMG_20221006_104310.jpg IMG_20221006_104305.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Archer FastFiler guide generates identical sharpening results on any brand chain as it rests on the tip of the cutters and holds itself on the sides of the chains tie straps all the way down to the bars rails.

The Husqvarna roller guide generates different results on different brand chains due to variations in tooth and tie strap height between individual chain brands.
The Husqvarna guide holds on only to the sides of the tie straps and thus feels unstable and flimsy.

WCfirewoodguy

OPE Member
Local time
10:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get a bunch of Archer FastFiler roller guide jigs in every pitch and be done with it!
Archer FastFiler filed chains are the fastest cutting chains I ever filed.
I increased durability once I made and utilized my own custom made side rollers altering the file angle.
The quite quickly wearing bottom rollers got replaced with easy "renewable" bottom rollers once I made and utilized my own custom made bottom rollers.

Just to be clear, the Archer FastFiler roller guide jig works perfectly fine factory stock!
And the jig is "mobile" and can be used both in the shop as well as in the field.

Just saying!
Why complicate things for people that do not understand the matter of filing chainsaw chains.
I have never heard of this device, thanks for pointing this out. Not sure how old the post is but I found a video at the sponsor's site and watched all 3 this morning. I am sold. Going to get 2 for sure, maybe try and buy a set off Ebay or used if possible. Also was looking at grinders but for my once or twice per year firewood operation it's probably not worth it. Just spent my annual budget on new parts for my 372xp saw. (used to be an XPW but P/C got messed up so went to new OEM Gilardoni 50mm) Don't want to take any chances with the new parts, want to make sure chains are filed correctly down the road. Going with Husqvarna chain, no Oregon chain even though I was born in Oregon! State has gone to Crap as well! My dad moved to Wyoming years before he passed away because all the people moving to Oregon from California and other States. GO HOME! Lol... We moved to WA state in 1963 so I am no spring chicken! Old School... Rambling on again link to videos just google Archer Fast Filer if link doesn't work... https://www.hlsproparts.com/product-p/a246p.htm

WCfirewoodguy

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OEM Archer FastFiler for .325"
View attachment 350476 View attachment 350477

OEM Archer FastFiler for 3/8"LP/Picco
View attachment 350478 View attachment 350479

No FastFiler can be used for semi/full skip as the guide rest on the cutters in front and behind the tooth that gets sharpened!

The fast filers work on full complement safety chains, additional drive link and tie strap humps do not interfere with the guide!
Bummer as I use skip tooth... :( that was a short lived product for me.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bummer as I use skip tooth... :( that was a short lived product for me.
It’s worth it to get the husky roller guide kit to try out, if you ask me. It’s 16-20 bucks, has two round and one flat file, and a pretty ergonomic file holder.

Wilhelm is spot on with his criticism of it, but I found it really helpful to transition to full free hand filing. It helped me get the muscle memory needed for a consistent tooth.

WCfirewoodguy

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s worth it to get the husky roller guide kit to try out, if you ask me. It’s 16-20 bucks, has two round and one flat file, and a pretty ergonomic file holder.

Wilhelm is spot on with his criticism of it, but I found it really helpful to transition to full free hand filing. It helped me get the muscle memory needed for a consistent tooth.
That's what I have been doing is the full free hand filing. I have some old filing guides around just never use them. Maybe the key is to get the Husky roller guide and modify it somehow so it keeps the depth the same on every tooth. I don't file much per year so a grinder wheel would be nice but probably overkill. Actually I might be better off just buying new chains and having them sharpened at the local repair shop on the grinder. Maybe even learn how to use the grinder as I know the manager at the Husqvarna shop out my way. Some kind of part time gig, I'm close to retirement age and it might work out well for me.