Ferguson tractor Z134 valve job

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those cast iron Marvel Schebler carbs are pretty simple but they can have their moments .Needle float valve gets stuck then you have to give them a thump or two to free it up then it may not do it again for a couple of months . Old funky gas will cause you fits and if water gets in them long enough you have to deal with the rust .I boil them in a coffee can with strong detergent
for a couple of hours which usually cures them then run a torch tip wire though the passages .
When I rebuilt the carb for "Ollie" my OC 6 crawler I put the entire kit in it including running a tap through all the jet holes .BTW the main jet is 1/4" 40 TPI .It had the shaft with the bushings but I didn't need to change them .At the moment though I have no idea which tool box they are in .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Larry did an A+ job on rebuilding the original, I found a good deal on a Sparex aftermarket carb and so bought that too. I found the MF service manual chapter on carbs posted online. Turns out, the idle mixture screw might adjust fuel or air depending on which model number you have. My TSX 605 is supposed to be the air adjusting type. Not sure why they designed it that way, I just leave it one turn out.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
11:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Larry did an A+ job on rebuilding the original, I found a good deal on a Sparex aftermarket carb and so bought that too. I found the MF service manual chapter on carbs posted online. Turns out, the idle mixture screw might adjust fuel or air depending on which model number you have. My TSX 605 is supposed to be the air adjusting type. Not sure why they designed it that way, I just leave it one turn out.

Air bleed idle adjustment is the same as a fuel idle adjustment just backwards. Open it for lean and close it for rich.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1624656341667.jpg1624656341991.jpg

Before and after pics of the carb.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking good!. It looks like you have a paper cartridge fuel filter installed. Depending on the filter it may work just fine or it could when the fuel in the tank gets low it can stop flowing fuel. If it seems to run poor when the fuel in the tank is low check the fiel filter.

Looks like this is happening. I mowed with it some after work and after about 20 minutes it started cutting out and died. Wait a few minutes, start it up, then it would run for another minute and cut out. It looks like the fuel is slowly trickling through the filter into the carb not fast enough to keep it full while mowing. Ill remove the cartridge filter and try it again tomorrow.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know exactly how the fuel line is routed on the To 35 but on the TO 20 it was lousey .Ran next to the exhaust manifold where it could get hot enough to vapor lock .I cured that by

running a rubber line around under the battery with a large in line filter then to the steel line . Got rid of the sediment bowel and used a ball valve for a shut off .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The fuel line does run under the manifold but has several inches of clearance. I've never changed the routing of it or had any vapor lock problems before, but anything is possible!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My case might be both my machines have the big bore kits and not enough radiator for the extra 4--5 HP and higher compression .It only did in summer mowing tall grass .Winter no problems moving snow .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, took the fuel line off and found a big piece of crud stuck in the elbow from the fuel strainer bowl to the line. That cleaned out, it now runs without shutting off. I have another little problem that needs to be addressed. The proper engine speed for the 540 pto is 1500 rpm. It will do that no problem, however I have to hold the throttle lever back manually. If I pull the lever back and don't hold it, the machine won't do more than 1250 rpm. The lever won't stay back far enough without being held in place. How can I adjust the throttle linkage and/or governor to maintain 1500 RPM without holding the lever back? When I had it apart I did clean and lubricate all the external linkage and it is not binding or getting stuck.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, took the fuel line off and found a big piece of crud stuck in the elbow from the fuel strainer bowl to the line. That cleaned out, it now runs without shutting off. I have another little problem that needs to be addressed. The proper engine speed for the 540 pto is 1500 rpm. It will do that no problem, however I have to hold the throttle lever back manually. If I pull the lever back and don't hold it, the machine won't do more than 1250 rpm. The lever won't stay back far enough without being held in place. How can I adjust the throttle linkage and/or governor to maintain 1500 RPM without holding the lever back? When I had it apart I did clean and lubricate all the external linkage and it is not binding or getting stuck.

If it is similar to the ford tractors there should be a friction disc at the base of the steering column. It either needs to be tighten to increase the friction or the disc is broken and will need replaced.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a diagram of how this system works:

Adjust Throttle Linkage.pub (fergusontractors.org)

So, does it appear that I need to adjust the linkage connected to the friction disc? Or, maybe adjust the vertical plunger of the governor linkage? The governor seems to work just fine, it's the lack of enough RPM without holding back the throttle that is irritating.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those little 4 cylinder engines are capable of fairly high RPM's .When I resurrected the first TO 20 in 1975 I had it set so high that thing would run nearly 30 MPH on the road .When Hillary used the TE 20's on the trip to the south pole they had to bump them up to 4,000 RPMS to get enough power because of the altitude .
I might note on that first one I had to find rod ends to restore the linkage because they were so worn out plus use a heavier spring to tension the disk .
I might also add that tractor is a pain in the buttocks to work on because it has a Davis industrial loader .Way too much loader for a little tractor .It will lift it but you can't hardly steer it .Jeep front tires at 60 plus PSI air pressure .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what the throttle disc looks like. How would you put more tension on it?

0628210756.jpg

0628210755.jpg

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a diagram of how this system works:

Adjust Throttle Linkage.pub (fergusontractors.org)

So, does it appear that I need to adjust the linkage connected to the friction disc? Or, maybe adjust the vertical plunger of the governor linkage? The governor seems to work just fine, it's the lack of enough RPM without holding back the throttle that is irritating.

My brother in law has the same problem with a Ford 901. One of these days i will havr to get around to looking at it for him. Maybe.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I ordered a new friction disc and also the governor compensating spring. Hopefully I can get this thing straightened out before the end of summer!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it makes you feel any better Lance, my brakes fell apart and locked up my left wheel yesterday.:D

PXL_20210628_004820303.jpg