Let's talk plastics

cash192t

New OPE Member
Local time
6:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, talking plastics...the 192t I have has a cracked center section I just discovered. I have it cleaned up and roughed up. I was going to use the old jb weld plastic epoxy. Does anyone have a better idea? seeing how you have to disassemble the saw to get to it I would rather not do it more than once. Also, heat maybe a factor as it is close to where the muffler goes. thanks

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Epoxy doesn't play well with heat. Got a picture of what you are trying to repair?

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the 1970's early 80's, We used to sandpaper/buff out those hazy plastic gauge lenses on motorcycles.
There was some brand of clear liquid floor wax (danged if I recall the brand now) that did a really nice job of finishing things up.
The wax job usually lasted through the summer and then time to do it again.
I do the same thing to those #%&## plastic headlights on my truck nowdays.

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran a small experiment with two globs of PL Premium. Both cured for a week in air, then one was immersed in a 40:1 gasoline;oil mix for a week.
PL Premium Globs.jpg

Cutaway shows they look the same inside after gasoline exposure:
PL Premium Globs Cutaway.jpg

Both globs felt the same, so this little test shows that a gas/oil mix has no affect on PL Premium.

For something like a fuel tank split at the seam, clean and degrease throughougly, open up the split a bit with a thin cutter, and fill with PL Premium. Clamp together and let sit for a few days before testing.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can polish nylon with a series of finer sand paper and polishing compound like you would for aluminum or painted surface.

If you really want to make it pop, clear coat it.
20230925_174219.jpg
I couldn't find a before picture. But these polished up nice... But, the older plastic is different...20230910_123257.jpg
This 461 filter cover was pretty scratched up. I was able to grind the scratches off, but it wouldn't polish past 800 grit. So I can only assume there's a difference in fiber content. I did these saws before finding this awesome thread.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran a small experiment with two globs of PL Premium. Both cured for a week in air, then one was immersed in a 40:1 gasoline;oil mix for a week.
View attachment 397111

Cutaway shows they look the same inside after gasoline exposure:
View attachment 397112

Both globs felt the same, so this little test shows that a gas/oil mix has no affect on PL Premium.

For something like a fuel tank split at the seam, clean and degrease throughougly, open up the split a bit with a thin cutter, and fill with PL Premium. Clamp together and let sit for a few days before testing.
Good info! I would also recommend putting a mesh screen over the seam. I have had wood open up after being glued with PL Premium. Not often, but it has happened.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can polish nylon with a series of finer sand paper and polishing compound like you would for aluminum or painted surface.

If you really want to make it pop, clear coat it.
View attachment 397115
I couldn't find a before picture. But these polished up nice... But, the older plastic is different...View attachment 397116
... Because this 461 filter cover I used on this 440 was rough, so I sanded the scratches out. But after say 800 grit, it wouldn't take higher. I'm sure it had a different fiber content. And maybe the newer saws use different plastic too. Didn't think to check the numbers as I hadn't found this cool thread yet.