High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Another chainsaw dyno...

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Some dyno action the Aussie made 4-litre Barra engine is gaining a reputation for making big hp guy's are starting to import em into the US
Seen a vid on YouTube with a Barra powered Mustang in the US good stuff.
Those are really cool engines. Not many inline six performance engines around in the US, but some manufacturers are talking about bringing them back.

MERR6267

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He must have had some propane in there too, no?

I don't think so. I believe that propane is mostly used in a low fuel, stock-ish application where the amount of available injected diesel is the limiting factor. Most modern systems have plenty of diesel available to inject. 7.3 powerstrokes were limited on fueling in stock-ish form, and propane gave a good power improvement when using a stock-ish turbo. The danger with propane at higher levels is that it will autoignite prior to the diesel injection and cause detonation. (like using low octane fuel in a high compression gasser). Diesel static compression is 17:1+ and with the addition of few pounds of boost (50-150) you heat and ignite propane far before the diesel injection event is initiated on the compression stroke.

Nitrous, though is not a fuel. It's an oxidizer that allows much more rapid combustion than plain air being that it's a far higher concentration of oxygen. That's why you see his cloud clear up when he hits the nitrous. The danger is that when you spray so much, the injection timing requirements are reduced significantly and can also cause peak cylinder pressure to occur too early in the cycle, thus causing the head to lift, pistons to crack, rods to bend, and in this case, the block to split.

I could be wrong. I've been out of it for a bit.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't think so. I believe that propane is mostly used in a low fuel, stock-ish application where the amount of available injected diesel is the limiting factor. Most modern systems have plenty of diesel available to inject. 7.3 powerstrokes were limited on fueling in stock-ish form, and propane gave a good power improvement when using a stock-ish turbo. The danger with propane at higher levels is that it will autoignite prior to the diesel injection and cause detonation. (like using low octane fuel in a high compression gasser). Diesel static compression is 17:1+ and with the addition of few pounds of boost (50-150) you heat and ignite propane far before the diesel injection event is initiated on the compression stroke.

Nitrous, though is not a fuel. It's an oxidizer that allows much more rapid combustion than plain air being that it's a far higher concentration of oxygen. That's why you see his cloud clear up when he hits the nitrous. The danger is that when you spray so much, the injection timing requirements are reduced significantly and can also cause peak cylinder pressure to occur too early in the cycle, thus causing the head to lift, pistons to crack, rods to bend, and in this case, the block to split.

I could be wrong. I've been out of it for a bit.
Your description of how nitrous works is pretty good. I didn't know that about 7.3's, but I only recently started learning about diesel engines.

MERR6267

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What kind of rpm are they turning at that power? Must be huge torque for the crankshaft/gearbox to take.

I don't really know. It seems that the guys that know are pretty tight-lipped, but I think 5500-6500 might be a decent guess with 7k being a top number. I think the inherent behavior of the diesel injection event and burn time to be a limiting factor in ultimate rpm. The crank/rods/valvetrain 'could' be made to live a higher revving life, but the time for the actual fuel to burn takes too long in a diesel. (not just the oily fuel, but any Heterogeneous charge compression engine) where fuel is injected into a "dry" cylinder with ignition caused by compression alone.

My personal "wood getter" will boost to 70psi and still cloud 6 lanes of traffic with soot if you're not careful. It'll rev cleanly to about 4500 but it's still a pretty "mild" setup by modern standards. I know that I've broken my NV4500 transmission 2 times, once I stripped 3rd gear, the next time I broke the end off the mainshaft. It's not happy below about 2200rpm. If I run the revs up it's a lot nicer.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, higher revs make for longer life when you're making big boosted power. Steve Morris had to reconfigure his Drag-Week (gasoline/alcohol) engine from a lower revving (7500) high boost deal to a higher revving lower displacement, higher boost engine to make it live. I think his new combo is 9200rpm at the top, but he made that car run in the 5.7s and survive 1000 miles on the street. Rumored horsepower is 4000+ (Tom Bailey's "Sick Seconds 2.0")

Last edited:

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't really know. It seems that the guys that know are pretty tight-lipped, but I think 5500-6500 might be a decent guess with 7k being a top number. I think the inherent behavior of the diesel injection event and burn time to be a limiting factor in ultimate rpm. The crank/rods/valvetrain 'could' be made to live a higher revving life, but the time for the actual fuel to burn takes too long in a diesel. (not just the oily fuel, but any Heterogeneous charge compression engine) where fuel is injected into a "dry" cylinder with ignition caused by compression alone.

My personal "wood getter" will boost to 70psi and still cloud 6 lanes of traffic with soot if you're not careful. It'll rev cleanly to about 4500 but it's still a pretty "mild" setup by modern standards. I know that I've broken my NV4500 transmission 2 times, once I stripped 3rd gear, the next time I broke the end off the mainshaft. It's not happy below about 2200rpm. If I run the revs up it's a lot nicer.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, higher revs make for longer life when you're making big boosted power. Steve Morris had to reconfigure his Drag-Week (gasoline/alcohol) engine from a lower revving (7500) high boost deal to a higher revving lower displacement, higher boost engine to make it live. I think his new combo is 9200rpm at the top, but he made that car run in the 5.7s and survive 1000 miles on the street. Rumored horsepower is 4000+ (Tom Bailey's "Sick Seconds 2.0")

That's pretty high for a non Le Mans endurance racing diesel.

I'm good with my stock 06 cummins with just a billet stock turbo. I don't like breaking stuff!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're probably right. I was just guessing.

Propane isn’t used in any real high performance engines. Nitrous and water methanol is what the highest ones use.

The belt on that truck drives the CP3 pumps. It was a triple turbo setup on there as well. They’ll probably be back with another setup to break 3k I’m sure.

The pullers are running 5-6000 rpm down the track now. Some are even doing common rail setups except the biggest classes. They haven’t got the common rails to put out as much fuel as the mechanical injection setups with one big injection event yet

MERR6267

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Propane isn’t used in any real high performance engines. Nitrous and water methanol is what the highest ones use.

The belt on that truck drives the CP3 pumps. It was a triple turbo setup on there as well. They’ll probably be back with another setup to break 3k I’m sure.

The pullers are running 5-6000 rpm down the track now. Some are even doing common rail setups except the biggest classes. They haven’t got the common rails to put out as much fuel as the mechanical injection setups with one big injection event yet

P-7100 foreva!!!!1!!11!ONE!!!1!

(or similar)

MERR6267

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's pretty high for a non Le Mans endurance racing diesel.

I'm good with my stock 06 cummins with just a billet stock turbo. I don't like breaking stuff!

There's a reason that my "new" (340k mile desert truck) wood getter is a stock Ford V10 . . . cheaper, less compulsion to modify, pure stock, 310hp, automatic trans.

(I still have the old smoky truck for "summer fun")

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
P-7100 foreva!!!!1!!11!ONE!!!1!

(or similar)

Sigma pumps used to be all the rage back then. Just keep throwing more pump at it. Now they’ve figured out injectors a lot better and a 13-14mm pump priming dual CP3 that are bored and stroked are doing more with way less fuel

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where is this graph only thread??? I've looked all over and can't find chit.