Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remind me again what it costs? If these runs were affordable, considering shipping both ways, bet more may jump on board with
dynowars-1-1600x400.jpg

60$ + return shipping.

Shipping is killer :(.

They are just chainsaws too, so charging near car dyno rates seems a bit much:nusenuse:. $75-100 seems common enough for cars based on my limited googling. Not that $60 is a bad amount in person, but I'd rather run 3 saws for $60, or 5 for $100 at an in person opportunity. But it's a $80 round trip before the dyno cost. As cheap as I am, I wouldn't be too eager to spend $100 on shipping and dyno, except for a good reason, like if it was a hot build by Tree Monkey, and the saw was already there needing shipping to me anyway.

Shipping several at once would greatly reduce the cost per saw if you also had a 5 for $100 deal. It would still be $70 per saw if I sent 3 top handles & 2 big saws in one box at that rate. I think maybe cheap enough for pride, but not enough for my curiosity. I like the idea of bringing the dyno to a GTG, I was hoping to see it at the MMWS GTG, you probably would have run 100 saws or more on it.

Oh, and I can't get the thought out of my head of what if USPS looses or runs over my box of 5 saws :crybaby2:

Big thing with the car dynos is you can find one on every other corner. I know of a few engine dynos writhin 30 miles and a few more chassis dynos.

Shipping is the killer. And that is part of the reason are runs are priced the way they are.

It takes me longer to un-pack and ready most saws, then it does to make the pulls.

Then I clean, wrap and repack. Sometimes all new material/boxes for a fingers crossed safe shipping experience.

Sure show up with a truck full of saws I bet we could make a day out of it and be much closer to the 20$ a saw Mark.

But when I have over 1hr into the whole process. I can't just give away hours.

Yep, end goal is to help Joe make money with this thing. That's the only intent I had with my comments.

Appreciate that.

Once I get my setup dialed in I'll prolly have a dyno day gtg.

Last edited:

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love dyno day gtg’s. Went to plenty of them with my Dodge Cummins.

Out of eight dyno’s I've tried, only one worked the way it should for diesel pickups.

That one dyno worked like joe’s and my dyno. Load style.

All the others were inertia and Eddie current styles.

The guy with the Eddie current could’ve tried different setups but that dyno was new to him at the time so he was learning then.

The inertia style dyno couldn’t spin the turbo to make boost until the upper rpms, but by then, the pull is over. Junk.

But I’ve learned that if I use the fastest spooling
Turbo, the power numbers were far better.

The sled pulling trucks with big turbos couldn’t spool up unless they had a dyno that loads the engine.

Overall, I still had a lot of fun. :cool:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On those inertia dynos you gotta ride the brakes to spool up into your window and then let it go. Still not as good as a true loaded dyno like a mustang but way better then waiting for the turbo to light with no load so late in the run. You loose the big torque number in the meat of the run

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you look at all the work Joe has done, and the money he has spent to get to where we are now, it is a wonder he can do it for what he charges.

This is my favorite thread.

That said, it is obvious that shipping is the real killer, and if Joe is able to be at a GTG that I am at in the future, I'd love to dyno some more saws. I'm sure there would be a huge market for that.

One of the things that Joe does that I like the best is to dyno the saw stock, then ported, and show the gains. It has always been obvious to me that some models benefit a lot more from porting than others.

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On those inertia dynos you gotta ride the brakes to spool up into your window and then let it go. Still not as good as a true loaded dyno like a mustang but way better then waiting for the turbo to light with no load so late in the run. You loose the big torque number in the meat of the run

You’re exactly right.

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you look at all the work Joe has done, and the money he has spent to get to where we are now, it is a wonder he can do it for what he charges.

That said, it is obvious that shipping is the real killer, and if Joe is able to be at a GTG that I am at in the future, I'd love to dyno some more saws. I'm sure there would be a huge market for that.

One of the things that Joe does that I like the best is to dyno the saw stock, then ported, and show the gains. It has always been obvious to me that some models benefit a lot more from porting than others.

That’s the one reason I built a dyno too.

I don’t have the time to go look for wood to cut and I live right in town. I’m sure the people would start complaining about noise if I was always out cutting wood and making a mess.

I run the machine inside the garage.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

You should come on out to a Michigan gtg sometime Mike.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have cousins there ... but as you get older, you start to lose your appetite for long drives!

Also, our one dog is getting older and needs help getting in and out, and the wife is not happy when my adventures away exceed a day.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was reading from page 15 forward and there was a bunch of discussion about stroke and torque, but no one mentioned that stroke can effect the angle of a piston being better in some Engines?, because as the stroke gets longer the crank has less of angle which makes it easier for the engine to turn.
Not to be a "pot stirrer" but that is a major benefit for a small engine.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was reading from page 15 forward and there was a bunch of discussion about stroke and torque, but no one mentioned that stroke can effect the angle of a piston being better in some Engines?, because as the stroke gets longer the crank has less of angle which makes it easier for the engine to turn.
Not to be a "pot stirrer" but that is a major benefit for a small engine.

Maybe you're thinking of rod length rather than stroke...?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, a longer rod will better align the piston movement with the direction of the rod, but will result is a larger engine.

Everything is a balance!

In most car engines, the piston pin is slightly offset to give it a smoother idle. With racing engines (like the 427 Ford) the piston pin is dead on center (note: this applies to engines of the late 1960s, things may be different now).

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rod length, stroke, piston pin offset. Crank/cylinder centerline offset all play into what angle of the dangle and how it effects power stroke.

RockiesRider

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 500i don’t make much high rpm power stock. Narrow powerband (about 7500 - 9500rpm). Gotta gear them up to 8 pin or just tune the chain to the saw better with a 7 pin. Got to make up for the lack of rpms if you want to cut small-medium sized wood more efficiently without it bumping the rev limiter slowing it down constantly lol. The peak torque for the displacement really is amazing once you load them in a real piece of wood with a longer bar though.
My modded 046 beat a friend's 500I by 3 seconds in the cut