Which 70cc plus saw would you buy?

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
9:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gonna get one pre-stuffed with sausages?
1182f1a3b306618c46a87960d6764ca8.gif

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So went to our two cycle dealer in Knoxville- Cox Power. Price on 572 is $1199 with 28” Husq bar (not lite) chain and scabbard. Add 3% for CC or take off 5% for cash. Brings it down to somewhere around 1140 I think. If I want power head only take off $100.

The 462 is $1319. It is the carb model- if I want mtronic they have to order (if they can even get from distributor). He of course tried to talk me into the carbd model criticizing the auto carbs reliability.

I do want the west coast version so maybe should shop out west? Im out of the loop on saw buying as I’ve taken going on a 5 year hiatus from the hobby.

I will say that I handled both saws with a 28” bar and the 462 was very bar heavy. The 572 was almost perfectly balanced. I guess that has to do with the design/ layout of the saw. I did not feel the .6lb difference between the saws. They felt the same other than the fact that the Husq balances better with a 28”

I forgot you were pretty local to me! Cox has went down hill lately. They want to bad mouth Mtronic and Autotune, but their tech can’t tune a saw for *s-word. The guy that had been there for years retired and the sales guy/assistant manager/whatever he is is trying to work on saws the last time I was in there. I’ve quit dealing with them and just use my Co-Op in Claiborne county for all parts I need. They want to cater to the big tree service companies, KUB, and City of Knoxville now. I asked to get the same government pricing for a blower for work (state agency) and was told those prices were for the city only. Hopefully you found what you want/need. If not, let me know, I can usually get 10% off at the co-op.

Reactions: Lnk

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So went to our two cycle dealer in Knoxville- Cox Power. Price on 572 is $1199 with 28” Husq bar (not lite) chain and scabbard. Add 3% for CC or take off 5% for cash. Brings it down to somewhere around 1140 I think. If I want power head only take off $100.

The 462 is $1319. It is the carb model- if I want mtronic they have to order (if they can even get from distributor). He of course tried to talk me into the carbd model criticizing the auto carbs reliability.

I do want the west coast version so maybe should shop out west? Im out of the loop on saw buying as I’ve taken going on a 5 year hiatus from the hobby.

I will say that I handled both saws with a 28” bar and the 462 was very bar heavy. The 572 was almost perfectly balanced. I guess that has to do with the design/ layout of the saw. I did not feel the .6lb difference between the saws. They felt the same other than the fact that the Husq balances better with a 28”

I wish stihl would space their handles farther apart like Husqvarna does.

Matt Schmitt has/had a 462R for 1035.00 on here.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot you were pretty local to me! Cox has went down hill lately. They want to bad mouth Mtronic and Autotune, but their tech can’t tune a saw for *s-word. The guy that had been there for years retired and the sales guy/assistant manager/whatever he is is trying to work on saws the last time I was in there. I’ve quit dealing with them and just use my Co-Op in Claiborne county for all parts I need. They want to cater to the big tree service companies, KUB, and City of Knoxville now. I asked to get the same government pricing for a blower for work (state agency) and was told those prices were for the city only. Hopefully you found what you want/need. If not, let me know, I can usually get 10% off at the co-op.

Usually you either "Are" or "Are not" a state vendor its really not a choice thing, the vendors are required to fill out paperwork for a state number to be put on the list.
Sounds like there's some BS going on there?

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just get an 084 then, I think it's got the most distance between handles that any other modern saw. Loved running my 084 cutting timber with a 50 inch cannon. Stock it was more comfortable to run than the 088 I tried at the time

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually you either "Are" or "Are not" a state vendor its really not a choice thing, the vendors are required to fill out paperwork for a state number to be put on the list.
Sounds like there's some BS going on there?
They are NOT a state vendor and the Red Max blower isn’t available on state contract. I have a good friend that is a supervisor for the city and he told me what they pay. They wanted me to pay nearly $150 more. Keep in mind, I took everything to them for repair work when they had a good tech and I didn’t have time to deal with it. No big deal as I went to another vendor and got it below what the city was paying.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another note on handle spacing. In my earlier days cutten timber, I mostly used huskys, 371,372, 288 394 2100 because they balanced better with longer bars. But I always loved the 044 046 for their flat torque curve, it made the saws real useable in real world conditions. Now with those lightweight bars available, that brings a whole new life to those older stihls, that's why I'm going back to them. Those huskys did have longer spacing between handles, which I'm a big fan of, and most people overlook that aspect.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just get an 084 then, I think it's got the most distance between handles that any other modern saw. Loved running my 084 cutting timber with a 50 inch cannon. Stock it was more comfortable to run than the 088 I tried at the time

Why would I get an 084 ?

I just think it would be a better layout on stihls bigger saws. :lol:

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Do u mean the handles of the full wrap?

Reactions: Lnk

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
8:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From tank handle to handle bar. It's not a big deal to me, but I think it would be an asset.
Balance means more to me than lightest weight. If a saw balances right for me, it won’t fatigue me near as much as trying to counter a nose heavy saw all day.