High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What are you building with your milled wood?

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
4:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I needed a workbench and a project to distract me from my job. I milled this poplar in the fall. Surprisingly it only took six months to get the MC to 9%. It will be staying in the garage where the humidity matches the outdoors and I expect it to take a beating. I figure I’ll know more about what I want from a work bench in the next six or so months and start a new design. Long story short, I was after a roubo split top style work bench, only I miscalculated what I needed to mill from the start. Inexperience with stacking, stickering , and species lead to losses that resulted in a narrower, non-split top.
This is a shot of the dry fit. The through mortises are tight enough to leave as is. I still am not sure if and how I could wedge it together so it could be disassembled or if I should glue it up. At the very least I still need to trim and wedge the tenons coming through the top and set up a router sled to flatten it. She looks incredible from five feet out, closer in and you’ll see the mistakes of a newb.

13B879E9-24CF-4BBE-886B-62DD082E0E01.jpeg

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I needed a workbench and a project to distract me from my job. I milled this poplar in the fall. Surprisingly it only took six months to get the MC to 9%. It will be staying in the garage where the humidity matches the outdoors and I expect it to take a beating. I figure I’ll know more about what I want from a work bench in the next six or so months and start a new design. Long story short, I was after a roubo split top style work bench, only I miscalculated what I needed to mill from the start. Inexperience with stacking, stickering , and species lead to losses that resulted in a narrower, non-split top.
This is a shot of the dry fit. The through mortises are tight enough to leave as is. I still am not sure if and how I could wedge it together so it could be disassembled or if I should glue it up. At the very least I still need to trim and wedge the tenons coming through the top and set up a router sled to flatten it. She looks incredible from five feet out, closer in and you’ll see the mistakes of a newb.

View attachment 345025

We were all newbs once. When you start building, you start learning from making mistakes, and fixing them. Even experienced make mistakes.
If the tenons are tight, I would leave it, if it's temporary. You can always glue it up later.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang Eduardo,
That is a nice bench! Very nice work!

Built an 8 ft tall standing canoe paddle from Alaskan birch couple weaks, to muscle around a 22 ft canoe.

Brought it to a point, so the blade won't slip when I need to jam it into a river bank or into shallow creek gravel.

Tapered on the planer, coated with teak oil.

20220913-174411.jpg

20220913-174712.jpg

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
4:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you have mounted on said transom? I’ve seen duck hunting rigs with similar prop setups, like go devils, I’m just having a tough time figuring out the drive type and size dimensions from the pic. I’m guessing that’s a four to five footish beam on that boat (referencing the osb on the ground)?
I had a buddy who was a salmon guide up there. He said he’d run up to 60 miles a day in a jet boat getting his clients on fish. He said his rig could do 40 knots in a puddle, basically if it looked like water it was navigable, as long as he was on plane.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eduardo,
Yep, similar to go-devil but lighter Simpler. Not to mention, dmn flawless welding and metal fab like dr256's:

Backwater swomp lite

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got some Australian Rosewood out of my timber stash I cut this timber well over 15 years ago.
Am going to make a few shelves.
I guess Rosewood got it's name as the timber smells exactly like roses has a beautiful smell when working with it.

20230130_155814.jpg 20230130_155840.jpg

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got some Australian Rosewood out of my timber stash I cut this timber well over 15 years ago.
Am going to make a few shelves.
I guess Rosewood got it's name as the timber smells exactly like roses has a beautiful smell when working with it.

View attachment 363177 View attachment 363178
That Is Some Simply Beautiful Aged Rosewood, Just A Simple Oil Finish, Set it out in the Sun Towards the End of drying, Let that Sun Gently Warm up that Wood to help crystallize the oil Deep into the Wood Fiber, & When it Can't Take Any More Oil. Wipe it Down With A Clean Dry Cloth, and Get As Much oil off as Possible. and Place it in A Warm, Dry, clean area, preferably with Decent sunlight, But Not Burning Hot Late Afternoon sun. When you're relatively Certain the oil is Fully Curred, Wipe it Down once, or twice more, Then a Final Wax paste coat, a buff and Done, and that initial treatment should last a minimum of 5 years before you have to do anything unless you live in really f***** up environment.

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I Really Like the Plank on the Right, Followed by the Far left, The Center is Nice, but plain in comparison.