Dumb things your friends do with saws

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to help the neighbor and dumped a new chain out of the box, naturally it was tangled. As I straightened it out the neighbor proceeds to tell me that all you need to do to untangle it is hold one end between your thumb and finger and crack it like a whip, it’ll straighten right out! Let me know how that works for ya.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to help the neighbor and dumped a new chain out of the box, naturally it was tangled. As I straightened it out the neighbor proceeds to tell me that all you need to do to untangle it is hold one end between your thumb and finger and crack it like a whip, it’ll straighten right out! Let me know how that works for ya.
It didn't.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I looked for an hour, and I couldn't find the end.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my coworkers and a friend of mine turns chains inside out, bare handed.

It is hilarious to watch people try "untangling" it unsuccessfully!!! :risas3:
I recall that @jacob j. said he or his dad would do that to folks back in the day, and I was sharing that with a friend a few weeks back when he tried to pull a different trick on me. I was helping them with some clearing and I'd brought my falling axe over with my kit, and when he saw it he asked me how good I was with an axe. I said I was a decent hand with one, so he told me to prove it using a method his dad and grandpa taught him for testing your axe skills. You get on your knees, pick a stick, and line up your axe with the middle of the stick. Then, your co-worker blindfolds you and you see if you can split the stick down the middle. In the meantime, he switched the stick out for my saw hat (you can substitute a thermos or any other piece of gear) and I was supposed to put my axe through the middle of my hat instead of the stick. Fortunately I knew old guys can't be trusted and my gear remained intact, but now you know a fun trick you can use on your soon-to-be-ex friends.

I'd steer this back on topic, but most of my friends know their stuff when it comes to saws so I don't have any funny/stupid stories to share.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My dad always had a rat's nest of tangled up chains marinating in bar oil on the bottom of the case for his Homie Super 2.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Had a senior moment a few weeks back, spun up a chain and not sure how I did it but after I spun the rivets I realized it was inside out, sucks getting old.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a senior moment a few weeks back, spun up a chain and not sure how I did it but after I spun the rivets I realized it was inside out, sucks getting old.
Ship it to me, I'll have my coworker turn it inside-IN and ship it back to You.
Will most likely cost about 50$ and take 2 to 3 months in shipping both ways. :p

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ship it to me, I'll have my coworker turn it inside-IN and ship it back to You.
Will most likely cost about 50$ and take 2 to 3 months in shipping both ways. :p
Was much easier, cheaper and faster to re- break and spun again. But thanks, you always have my back.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I actually do that to myself semi-regularly, not sure how.

I've gotten pretty good at flipping them back, though it's honestly kind of hard to visualize how it works without having a chain in my hands.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually do that to myself semi-regularly, not sure how.

I've gotten pretty good at flipping them back, though it's honestly kind of hard to visualize how it works without having a chain in my hands.
I have somewhere a video clip of my coworker doing it, inside out and back again.
I may upload it, then again I was always reluctant to upload it due to someone hurting themselves trying to replicate it.