High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What are you building with your milled wood?

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This was one of my favorite threads from the other site. Figured we ought to have one too.

Show us what you've made!

Here's a couple of my recent projects. I made some new slats for this park bench out of black locust. The road sign was a wedding gift for some friends of mine - also black locust.

20160813_183635.jpg 20160814_095722.jpg 20160814_095800.jpg 20160729_184225.jpg

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think I found my next victim today. Big old ash tree killed by the EAB. Looks like about 3' in diameter at the bottom. Need some longer rails and a longer bar now.

04e41025085d633747c4c42fd3a08151.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. One big solid slice with character.

I'm pretty sure that is two piece, with nice character!

Speaking of, I want to build some work benches out of the 2" Hickory. Any advice on how to cut is straight enough to join the ends? My skill saw skills don't seem to be as good as I thought they would be, I'm thinking of making a guide for the edge. Wouldn't you know, junk day just passed, and I saw several metal bed frames and did not take one (the wife goes nuts when I bring home junk). One of those pieces of angle iron would be perfect for it!

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

TimRD

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The other thing you may want to look into is a track saw. You can get them from DeWalt, Grizzly, etc. They are pretty flexible for making nice straight line cuts, and you can make the track as long as you want. Their max cut is still a little over 2" usually. It might be a better option if space is a concern. You can use them for anything you can clamp a rail to also, so it's probably more useful than an end planer or straight line rip saw may be.

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Speaking of, I want to build some work benches out of the 2" Hickory. Any advice on how to cut is straight enough to join the ends? My skill saw skills don't seem to be as good as I thought they would be, I'm thinking of making a guide for the edge. Wouldn't you know, junk day just passed, and I saw several metal bed frames and did not take one (the wife goes nuts when I bring home junk). One of those pieces of angle iron would be perfect for it!

You could get a nice clean edge using a circ saw and edge guide, however, if the faces of these boards are not perfectly flat and squared to the edge, it's going to take an awful lot of work to flatten them afterwards.

My local HS has a wood shop, and a community ed program available most of the year. If I didn't have my own set of machinery that's what I'd do.

cease232

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This is what I made years ago. Been meaning to get a track saw but this works fine. I've done a lot of glue ups with just a circular saw, fine toothed blade, and this edge guide before I owned a jointer. I still use it occasionally on slabs too big to run over the jointer.
5643ed5095a3b942abf5066740354184.jpg

Just use the factory edge of the plywood for the side that the saw rides against. Leave the base wider than needed and it'll set itself on the first cut.
You can also get good results by setting two pieces of wood side by side and cutting out the "gap" with the circular saw and edge guide. Even if the cuts not perfect they will mirror each other because they were cut simultaneously on each side of the blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what I made years ago. Been meaning to get a track saw but this works fine. I've done a lot of glue ups with just a circular saw, fine toothed blade, and this edge guide before I owned a jointer. I still use it occasionally on slabs too big to run over the jointer.
5643ed5095a3b942abf5066740354184.jpg

Just use the factory edge of the plywood for the side that the saw rides against. Leave the base wider than needed and it'll set itself on the first cut.
You can also get good results by setting two pieces of wood side by side and cutting out the "gap" with the circular saw and edge guide. Even if the cuts not perfect they will mirror each other because they were cut simultaneously on each side of the blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That'5s a great idea!!!

TimRD

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I did make this little table out of scraps from a friend's mill. Center is cherry from my parents place, and the outer two pieces black walnut. A little bit of live edge in one corner.

49618eb8b1665073cc3917635d0be62c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can also get good results by setting two pieces of wood side by side and cutting out the "gap" with the circular saw and edge guide.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing! I also made guide, but I think I like yours better, mine is more difficult to use, and I'm still not thrilled with how it came out. 2" X 8" Hickory is not easy to bend with a clamp (least not in the 8" direction).

And I just bought a 2 X 10 to make my guide, didn't check my email before acting! Oh well! I will get it right eventually!