High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What are you building with your milled wood?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome Evan! Nice work.

What saw/mill are you using?

How long did you let it dry?

What finish are you using?

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is all tulip poplar. Milled with a G660 with a 36” or 52” bar. I am going to preface the rest of this with, I have four kids 10,7,5, and 2 and a full time job that transitioned to working from home last March (did not realize how much use the “homework counter” would get), so all decisions were made by “how quickly can get this done good enough”, knowing poplar is soft, kids are hard on everything, we live in the middle of the city, everything had to carried by hand 300’ from where the tree fell to the house, and I drive a mini van

Dry time was 8 months for the the kitchen table and counter both about 10’6” long thickness was about 10/4. Finish is triple thick varathane with a gloss poly on top. They were my first slabs milled in July and end sealed with latex paint. Left with one end in the sun. I got them flat enough with the cheapest power planer on Amazon. They were pretty warped.

Thiner slabs and crotch, 6/4, I milled this winter let “dry” (we had 18” of rain between dec 1 and February 1) 10-12 weeks. End sealed with anchor seal and kept out of the sun. They were still wet when they were mounted/used in their final positions. Got one back check on one bench.

Exterior is finished for swings and benches with GF 450 sprayed on. Interior is paste wax finish. Ready for use within the hour.

Standing desk needs a real finish but I only had 4 hours to assemble frame flatten to the not flat slab to flat enough, sand and finish it. So it got one coat of wax and that was not enough as it shows water rings.

This may not be the right way but it has worked out ok for me. My thoughts are if it’s flat the faster I seal it and get it fixed in place the flatter it will dry.

Happy to answer any specific questions

Evan

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have the same questions. I also have a tulip poplar log to mill.
I think it looks really pretty finished. It’s really soft. Kids banging cups and silverware dents it easily. It’s light. I can lift an almost green 11’ by 32” slab to flip it over by myself.
It’s not hard cutting at all. In fact I was pulling a 42” cut full house ripping chain with my g660 My next project is making 12’ of barn doors and a an L shaped bunk bed loft or two.

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm working on debarking my logs, not easy

View attachment 297511
Let em sit in the hot and humid south for a year or two and you can kick it off. I sent the kids out with a metal shovels and my blue super bar and a crow bar. It didn’t take long. The sap wood shows signs of decay but it adds character. It’s super super soft though. We have a metal post hole digging pole that has a sharp flat bit on one end it works well if it’s stuck on well.

Attachments

• B4EB33EC-3669-449B-8CDB-512E537E3C79.jpeg
    B4EB33EC-3669-449B-8CDB-512E537E3C79.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 23

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Last fall when we moved in this ole farmhouse, I noted the bilco door for the basement was missing. There's just a couple 2x6s and a reinforced 1/2 sheet of plywood covering the opening. Couple layers of EDPM rubber to keep it all dry. PITA every time to gain access for restocking firewood for the furnace. Anyway, last fall i had my buddy put aside a 30'' dia white oak about 9' long.
It's very rot resistant. I hate the manufactured metal billco doors. An oiled white oak door should be eye pleasing and tough.
I have yet to bring this log to the Amish mill down the road from me...... just so much to do.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a couple logs to play with. Cant wait to get at them, been wanting to get the mill out again. Been a while.
3d49360b12140c2d37c530ff911dba6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk