MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my perspective the two mufflers on the left side of the picture are the best ,less the reed cover .The flats are not made for performance .If you can find one of the left style it really makes a difference in how the saw runs .On that though I'm really not certain other than the exhaust or maybe the carb or playing with the points exactly how to add some soup to a 10 series .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20200530_191619.jpg

av8or3 - all of the LH start 10 Series saws use the same spring. Often times you can heat up the end of the spring and reform the hooks if need be. Part number is 87680 .

Mark

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By the way, the reed muffler is very effective. I have a NOS muffler on an SP70 and I was really disappointed in the saw judging by the sound it made...then I ran it against other 70 cc McCulloch saws and discovered it was noticeably faster.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So evidently then this reed gizmo must work similar to a "power valve "exhaust on a dirt bike ? Except for the fact it's not a tuned pipe .Hmm

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So evidently then this reed gizmo must work similar to a "power valve "exhaust on a dirt bike ? Except for the fact it's not a tuned pipe .Hmm
The power valve goes in the cylinder, and is ued to alter exaust port timing, it allows more low end and more top rpm power and if timed correctly, timed to open when the power comes on to the pipe, I will smooth out the power curve making the hit more trackable.In my opinion the reed valve exhaust is more for sound, an it May help keep the transfers from over scavenging fuel out the exhaust, and potentially creating some more torque but that is purely speculation

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one I referred to was on a KTM motocross bike, maybe 200 cc if that large .It was a tuned pipe but it didn't run correctly .It belongs to my neighbor and if I'm not mistaken was over 25 HP .I can't exactly remember but it seems the gate, relief or whatever it's called was stuck shut .I had to put some heat on it to unstick it .That little rascal would certainly scoot though .I rode it but I didn't really get on it .Old ya know, slow reflexes cause broken legs .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By the way, the reed muffler is very effective. I have a NOS muffler on an SP70 and I was really disappointed in the saw judging by the sound it made...then I ran it against other 70 cc McCulloch saws and discovered it was noticeably faster.

Mark

That was my experience Mark. Years ago we were fixing up a 7-10 Automatic for a customer and the only muffler I could find was a new reed muffler on Ebay, so we used that. That saw definitely ran better with the reed muffler. That old boy was a happy camper as he'd bought that Mac brand new in the 70's and wanted to cut wood with it for the rest of his days.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 2 pm700s that I run but had "issues with the reed in the muffler, cracked ,missing half of the reed . I removed them and they run well.
I haven't run the creeam puff 700 I bought last December but it still has everything original. I might have to try it out to see if the reed makes a difference? Shouldn't be too difficult to replicate one if it's noticeable.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have to look at my 700 but I think it has the curved bottom with a big plate .It does fine .However I do have a cream puff of one of the last 10-10's ever made which I've done exactly nothing to .I'll check it too .I don't remember if I've ever even had the bar off of that one so what muff it has really don't know .Isn't that a hoot 10-10s I've almost never used .--well. WTH if I use it it will get ugly .It's just a pretty shelf queen now .:)

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mark
I'm thinking the reed valve muffler was designed mostly for sound remediation. At that time, Stihl and Husky were players in the game with a vertical cylinder and a better platform for a larger(quieter) muffler with their vertical cylinder platform.
I have a PM 700 and a 1010S with Power Reed mufflers. Both are broken. Reeds cracked and sheared off in such a way that I would never have even known they existed, had it not been for this forum discussing it.

StihlThe1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
94AD648B-28C4-498E-AA11-6691ACA81158.jpeg 229DD907-C9FC-4485-B7CA-B58C2905E242.jpeg 499367CF-1F14-42D8-926B-FEB3541A4D83.jpeg F6F8FA44-0FA5-4594-920D-0F3D095615F4.jpeg Gotta borrow a saw because I’m away from home and have to help out the homeowner I’m staying with. Close friend I worked with 10+ years gives me 3 options, a Stihl 029, Homelite & a McCulloch of unknown vintage. Grabbed the Stihl, made short work of the fall limb cutting and brought it back to my friend.
“Let me check out the McCulloch” pulled out from under the bench...where did you get it? (Hand me down in the family) Does it run? (Think so, just I’ve never tried to use it). Rubbed the dirt off to see if I could find any identifying markings (top label obviously gone)
Only see a stamped “64L” on the bottom. Here’s some pics, and also a photo I took of an Anniversary McCulloch poster a guy had at the Kart races last year, couldn’t quite match up the saw though.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 263772 View attachment 263773 View attachment 263774 View attachment 263775 Gotta borrow a saw because I’m away from home and have to help out the homeowner I’m staying with. Close friend I worked with 10+ years gives me 3 options, a Stihl 029, Homelite & a McCulloch of unknown vintage. Grabbed the Stihl, made short work of the fall limb cutting and brought it back to my friend.
“Let me check out the McCulloch” pulled out from under the bench...where did you get it? (Hand me down in the family) Does it run? (Think so, just I’ve never tried to use it). Rubbed the dirt off to see if I could find any identifying markings (top label obviously gone)
Only see a stamped “64L” on the bottom. Here’s some pics, and also a photo I took of an Anniversary McCulloch poster a guy had at the Kart races last year, couldn’t quite match up the saw though.
Looks like a 300, but I am not 100%

StihlThe1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a 300, but I am not 100%
Agree. The handle on the 300 in the poster is not a wraparound so not sure if they were changeable to suit the customer.
Otherwise the 600 looks similar and the one in the poster shows a specialized bar of some type.

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a wrap handle available for that series of saw. I didn't realize that I passed up one for my 250 at the time thinking it was for a different saw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree. The handle on the 300 in the poster is not a wraparound so not sure if they were changeable to suit the customer.
Otherwise the 600 looks similar and the one in the poster shows a specialized bar of some type.
The 600 series is a gear drive, and in the pic it has a bow bar. I am not super familiar with these series of saws

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did pop the clutch cover off the 10-10S today .It has the curved bottom muffler with a louvered cover with a down shot deflector .No reed .I have no intension of doing any modifications on this saw. Stock it is and shall remain .I just need to find a brake handle .It was bought by a tree trimmer and used very little .Most of them removed the brake handles .It has a 20" Oregon bar and chain which he might have bought it new that way .I don't think that semi chisel chain ever even had a file used on it .Judging the age perhaps 1996 to maybe '98 or so chisel chain was not even sold in this area .I think '98 was the last of McCulloch as we knew it .-----correction it seems that model was from 1982 until 1998 .

Last edited:

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did pop the clutch cover off the 10-10S today .It has the curved bottom muffler with a louvered cover with a down shot deflector .No reed .I have no intension of doing any modifications on this saw. Stock it is and shall remain .I just need to find a brake handle .It was bought by a tree trimmer and used very little .Most of them removed the brake handles .It has a 20" Oregon bar and chain which he might have bought it new that way .I don't think that semi chisel chain ever even had a file used on it .Judging the age perhaps 1996 to maybe '98 or so chisel chain was not even sold in this area .I think '98 was the last of McCulloch as we knew it .-----correction it seems that model was from 1982 until 1998 .
Al, does that saw have the black recoil cover, clutch cover, and air filter cover?
Dad has one that seems to be a late model. Not sure what that front decal had on it. Looks to have some red and silver crisscross stripes in the pattern. Think ive seen it before. Maybe a Special Edition or some such?0612201552b.jpg 0612201552.jpg