MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today I got the throttle handle that I bought on Feebay.So,I thought that maybe I could get the 4th saw running in as many days.I put the throttle handle on the saw & found that the throttle lock didn't work - the lever was broken up on the underside.I figured I could jam something in between the throttle rod & the back of the carb box to act like a throttle lock.A 5/16 deep well socket fit the bill perfectly.I put my 2nd last Walbro carb on the saw (I found another Walbro yesterday) that was supposed to be good as it held pressure.The carb turned out to be crap as it wouldn't pull fuel.I pulled the recoil off to make sure the fuel line wasn't kinked & I noticed that this saw was a late model saw.It had the weird torx screws instead of the regular slot head screws & the same was in the air box.I also noticed that this saw had no sawdust on the engine anywhere.This saw is brand new & has never seen wood! Now if I could only get this bugger to run,Lol.I've got a couple of Walbro carbs coming from Mark H.,but I'd like to try to get it running sooner.I can't remember wherer I picked this saw up.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today was successful.I got the throttle handle operational again with Mark H.'s parts that he sent me.Thanks for the advice on getting the throttle rod out & back in again! My son was kind enough to lend me a hand & his eyes,Lol.I was able to take the throttle lock out of the handle with the broken trigger & put it in the handle I bought on Feebay.Now that gives me the handle I'll need to get the 5th 610 running (I hope).
I put a different carb on saw #4 today & within 7 or 8 pulls it fired.The next puill it was running.I had to really step up the idle adjustment to keep it running.This saw is by far the best of all 5.I was able to hunt up some parts for the other 610s.I still can't find the dang skid plate for the bottom of saw #5.I know I have at least one extra floating around here somewhere.I looked on Feebay to see how much they are now & almost fell out of my chair - $25 + shipping! A few yrs.ago they were $10 all day long.The same for air filter covers.Here are some pics of saw #4.

thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today was successful.I got the throttle handle operational again with Mark H.'s parts that he sent me.Thanks for the advice on getting the throttle rod out & back in again! My son was kind enough to lend me a hand & his eyes,Lol.I was able to take the throttle lock out of the handle with the broken trigger & put it in the handle I bought on Feebay.Now that gives me the handle I'll need to get the 5th 610 running (I hope).
I put a different carb on saw #4 today & within 7 or 8 pulls it fired.The next puill it was running.I had to really step up the idle adjustment to keep it running.This saw is by far the best of all 5.I was able to hunt up some parts for the other 610s.I still can't find the dang skid plate for the bottom of saw #5.I know I have at least one extra floating around here somewhere.I looked on Feebay to see how much they are now & almost fell out of my chair - $25 + shipping! A few yrs.ago they were $10 all day long.The same for air filter covers.Here are some pics of saw #4.

View attachment 330933 View attachment 330934 View attachment 330935

Good job , looks like a nice saw.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found a good supply of the snap in sawdust guards (screens) for the RH start saws. The same part is used on the 10 Series and large frame saws.

20220319_150319.jpg

20210103_153313.jpg

McCulloch 840-5.JPG

I also found a supply of bar plates specifically designed to fit gear drive saws with the bar mounted on the left like the one shown above.

20220315_151905.jpg

Lastly, I found these AF covers for the SP60 models fit with the cold weather kit.

20220319_140515.jpg

If anyone has a need for any of these, let me know.

Mark

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A guy I work with has this on a rotten old wooden boat behind his barn. He says it been there since he bought the place. He’s never heard or seen it run.
I thought it was pretty cool and figured I’d share a couple pics View attachment 330952View attachment 330953View attachment 330954View attachment 330955
Boat is long past done-for, but I bet that motor will run if you file the points and get it to pump a little fuel.
Like that. Thanks for sharing.

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 7-10 saws with a similar cover only they are painted with a textured black paint and have a 7-10 sticker on them. Those are pretty cool.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found a little blurb about Scott Atwater----In 1956, they sold Scott Atwater to Robert McCulloch, boat racer, maker of aircraft, auto superchargers, and chainsaws, among many other things. He was rich due to his grandfather’s success with Edison Electric, and did everything in a big way. Much of the lecture will cover this brilliant, colorful character’s history. He was married to the daughter of Stephen Briggs, who, with Ole Evinrude, owned and managed OMC, so McCulloch was competing against his in-laws in the outboard motor market-------

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can anyone tell me how to test a Super Pro 125 coil to tell if its good? Thank you in advance.
I always keep a chip on hand just for this purpose.Disconnect your points wire & put a chip in your saw temporarily.Pull it over like you would to start it & if the saw has spark your coil is good.If no spark,your coil is bad.
If you're having trouble with no spark it could be your saw's condenser has gone bad,or is breaking down.In this case you'll need to leave the chip in permanently.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well guys,I'm on 610 #5! I had to replace a lot of parts on this saw due to me using it as a donor because I was too lazy to go into the garage searching for parts on the other 4 saws,Lol.I had to put another clutch & drum on & part together a recoil with a flag.I also had to replace the oil pump that I'd cannabalized for another saw.I put on the throttle handle that I'd repaired yesterday.When it came time to put the recoil on I didn't have any screws,so I took one screw out of each of the other 4 saws.In my search for air filter covers I kinda hit the jackpot between yesterday & today,I found 3 of 'em altogether.I still have another one that's MIA.I'm sure it'll turn up eventually.All that's left for me to do on 610 #5 is for me to put the carb on tomorrowe.
Mark,those 2 HDB carbs I got from you don't even need a kit.One of the carbs had the gasket & diaphragm in the wrong order on the metering side & both carbs are missing the fuel inlet screen.Both carbs held pressure,or had a very minimal leak down.One of them will be used on the last 610 & the other will be used on my first Mac saw I ever bought in '95 - a Timber Bear.
As I said earlier,I found 3 AF covers in 2 days,but one of them has a sizeable hole in the front left side.I'm thinking of putting a piece of duct tape over the hole & then put some JB Weld plastic bonder over it & let it set up.The tape should peel off without incident (I hope).Another hole free cover on Feebay is $25.Here's a pic of the hole.

thumbnail.jpg

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't remember if I posted anything when I found the first bits a month ago, but I did locate the seat cutters to complete this set.

Actual part number are 92130 guide, 92128 seat cutter, 92126 step tap, 92129 driver

20220225_155313.jpg

I do not have any of the inserts but if anyone is interested in a set of the tools let me know.

Mark

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's now official,all 5 610s that were baffling me 3 1/2 yrs.ago are now runners! Some of them were more complex to fix than others,but they're all good for wood.Here's a pic of the last one.I'll gety a pic of all 5 that I got running in the last week soon.

thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's now official,all 5 610s that were baffling me 3 1/2 yrs.ago are now runners! Some of them were more complex to fix than others,but they're all good for wood.Here's a pic of the last one.I'll gety a pic of all 5 that I got running in the last week soon.

View attachment 331206 View attachment 331207
You gonna repopulate the local firewood cutting scene with McCinderblocks Ed?:D
Nice work BTW!

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gonna repopulate the local firewood cutting scene with McCinderblocks Ed?:D
Nice work BTW!
Thanks for the compliment Dream.I'd like to re-populate the area with Macs,but everyone around is either a Stihl or Husky fan.
I'll never forget last yr.on July 3rd we had a bunch of people at the house because my son was doing a pig roast for the 4th,& there were a couple of guys that had to be 35-40 yrs.old who told me they'd never heard of a McCulloch chainsaw.I laughed at them & thought they were pulling my leg,but that wasn't the case.They were dead serious.Obviously they led sheltered lives & lived under a rock.