High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Clint53

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Clint,3 yrs.ago in Feb.I bought a truckload of saws & parts too.I still haven't gotten through all the saws yet,but I bought others too.In that truckload was my nearly completely destroyed DE80 that I parted back together & a Super 6-10A.I think there were only about 5 Macs,the rest were all Homies.Lots & lots of parts,Lol.Take your time going through things & it'll keep you busy for a looooong time,Lol.
Thanks Ed. I'm lucky. Nothing but yellow and black in this load.
I will start unloading it today and start separating it into categories.
Clint

Last edited:

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for clearing that up Mark.The carbs either healed themselves overnight,or I had some elves come in in the middle of the night & repair the Walbro carbs.I did nothing to them & they lay on the table overnight.I pumped up one carb to 7 psi & it held for about 15 min.The other carb was just as good.Now the Zama carb is being a real biotch.I put a couple coats of nail polish on the welch plugs thinking that might help & it didn't.I put a different needle & lever in after I cleaned the seat & still it leaks down.
I bought another used Zama from chainsawr for $20 & also bought the insulator I need for $4.75.I hope that carb works out better than the one I have here that's giving me fits.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Steve - Awesome thanks for including the paint code!

One last quick question - do I need to coat the tank with a liner after cleaning / blasting?

I use Mopar valve cover paint which is not bothered by oil or gas ,but it is more wrinkled than factory.
I also use a stihl 034 fuel line instead of a kit or McCulloch type line . Its just a touch shorter in the tank.
If I repair the bottom of a fuel tank I seal it with Red Cote now , I really hate messing around with taking them apart after painting.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted this over on AS as well, thought I might put it here for those who don't wander over...

Here is a bit of a head scratcher for you. As I am sorting through things I seem to become more confused by the way McCulloch changed parts and part numbers when they all served the same function. Consider the intake boot used on the various AV 10 Series models...so far I have identified at least 7 different part numbers and at least 4 different configurations for the same functional part.

Add 213897 to this list...

20220309_132004.jpg

As best I can determine:

20220309_131631.jpg

20220309_131752.jpg

20220309_131909.jpg

20220309_131918.jpg

To be continued...

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And this week I found yet another permutation. See the difference between the two?

20220309_132530.jpg

The good news is I have plenty of each type if anyone has a need.

With The Duke and others providing boots for the CP/SP125 type saws we should be set for a while.

Mark

Clint53

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just a update on the truck load of McCulloch saws and parts I bought yesterday.
I worked on separating and scuffling saws all day.
I'm a tired weak puppy.
The two vids are 20 and 28 seconds.

upload_2022-3-11_22-32-39.png

upload_2022-3-11_22-33-8.jpeg

Full length vid coming Saturday or Sunday.
Thanks for looking.
Clint

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I got around to putting a "good" carb on 610 #3 today.It wanted to run really rich.I pulled the carb off & checked the metering ler & it seemed to be set right.I lowered it a tad to see if it'd make a difference on another saw.I then put another "good" carb on the saw & had it running for a short time & the damn throttle rod keeps popping off.No matter which way I bend the rod it keeps popping off.It came back to me that I had a prtoblem with a 610's throttle rod the last time I tried working on this PITA saw about 3 1/2 yrs.ago,so I just set it aside.I tried looking for a new throttle rod,but it seems they're extinct.
I finally got the gaskets I needed for saw #1 & #2.I was able to put saw #1's throttle handle back on & that's as far as I got.I'll see about putting a carb on it tomorrow & see if I can get it to sputter.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a good day again today.While trying to put a carb on the best of the 3 saws I ended up breaking the throttle trigger.It seems that most of the throttle rods are bent out of shape.I suppose I could swap out another throttle handle from another 610 to see if I can get this one to run.
After that disheartening stunt I moved on to the other 610 that had a badly bent throttle rod & fiddled with it till I thought I had it.I went to start it & it came off the carb about 3 times & I finally said SCREW THIS! I'm about ready to put these evil yellow devils back into storage for another 3 or 4 yrs.till I feel either brave or stupid enough again (that is if I'm still alive.These things will be the death of me due to a heart attack or stroke.)

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went out to the back shed today to see if I could find a recoil for a 610 that I put in there last fall.Not only did I find the recoil,I also found another 610.That makes it 5 610 that I have to try to revive.I think I finally figured out the throttle rod bend.I' bought another throttle handle that's in excellent shape for $20 on Feebay.I'll put that on the saw that I broke the trigger on.Then I'll have a good throttle rod to use on the saw with the buggered rod.I'd like to get one or two of these saws up & running again.I've got till early Nov.,so lots of time.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went out to the back shed today to see if I could find a recoil for a 610 that I put in there last fall.Not only did I find the recoil,I also found another 610.That makes it 5 610 that I have to try to revive.I think I finally figured out the throttle rod bend.I' bought another throttle handle that's in excellent shape for $20 on Feebay.I'll put that on the saw that I broke the trigger on.Then I'll have a good throttle rod to use on the saw with the buggered rod.I'd like to get one or two of these saws up & running again.I've got till early Nov.,so lots of time.

How did the original throttle rods get bent ,they seem to be pretty strong?

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the saws was like that when I bought it.Apparently someone fiddled with it & got it screwed up.The other one I bent about 3 or 4 yrs.ago when I was trying to work on it.Amazing how much one can learn by looking at a saw with a carb already attached.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I might've finally gotten lucky today with the 610s.I pulled the throttle handle off saw #5 today.The gaskets were in good shape,but there was gunk/sludge in the impulse groove.I cleaned it all out & put it back together.Then I had to pick out a carb to put on it.I chose a Walbro that held pressure.This carb was a bit strange in that it had a stinger type inlet elbow.I've never seen one on an HDB before.I think someone changed it out.
Things started coming back to me as the saw fired up on about the 7th pull.The throttle /trigger wouldn't let the saw idle down.I remember changing the throttle hasndle out abouty 4 yrs.ago because the throttle lock on the other handle was broken.(either that,or I put the throttle lock lever in it & it never worked right afterwards).I had to turn the lo screw out to about 2 turns (or more) & also turn out the idle screw almost all the way,otherwise it raced at too high of a speed.It's possible that it might need a crank seal or two..I can probably use this throttle handle as a parts handle to try to swap out the broken trigger on the other handle.I bought a nice looking throttle handle on Feebay for $20 last night.I've also got some parts coming from Mark H.

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
125s are so much fun. I bet you smile when its used just because of the sound and feel. They can be very impressive. I remember the first time i ran one. It honestly kinda scared me. Man that thing ran strong. Now i have a cp125, sp125, sp125c. Not so scary anymore.