MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the compliment Dream.I'd like to re-populate the area with Macs,but everyone around is either a Stihl or Husky fan.
I'll never forget last yr.on July 3rd we had a bunch of people at the house because my son was doing a pig roast for the 4th,& there were a couple of guys that had to be 35-40 yrs.old who told me they'd never heard of a McCulloch chainsaw.I laughed at them & thought they were pulling my leg,but that wasn't the case.They were dead serious.Obviously they led sheltered lives & lived under a rock.

I'm 45 now and I've only heard of a McCullough last year or so... I've never seen one in person.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm 45 now and I've only heard of a McCullough last year or so... I've never seen one in person.
I'm not trying to be anal here,but this is one of my biggest pet peeves.The name of the saw is McCulloch.Notice the last 2 letters are CH,not gh.It's pronounced McCullock,not McCullah.Don't worry,I knew 2 guys who ran saw shops & they couldn't pronounce McCulloch properly either.I'm sure there are collectors who can't pronounce McCulloch properly either.Poor Bob McCulloch is probably rolling over in his grave.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
McCulloch

For something a little different, here is a 2-10G with a full wrap bar.

DSCN5143.JPG

DSCN5146.JPG

I saw the full wrap kit on eBay (as you can see from the date on the photos, that was a long time ago) and bought it before I ever had a 10G saw. Once I had the saw I realized what the kit was for.

10 G Handle 3.jpg

10 G Handle 4.jpg

I had never seen another of those kits....until I started unpacking the parts from Discount Marine. Now I have several available if anyone is interested.

Mark

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not trying to be anal here,but this is one of my biggest pet peeves.The name of the saw is McCulloch.Notice the last 2 letters are CH,not gh.It's pronounced McCullock,not McCullah.Don't worry,I knew 2 guys who ran saw shops & they couldn't pronounce McCulloch properly either.I'm sure there are collectors who can't pronounce McCulloch properly either.Poor Bob McCulloch is probably rolling over in his grave.

Sorry to offend, I wasn't sure of the spelling so auto correct took over.

I should have paid more attention and proof read, but probably would not realized the error.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been sometime now but maybe 10-12 years ago I rounded up several old Macs for my departed wife's nephews .They lived new Detroit and were cutting firewood .One was a PM 610 the other was a 7-10 ,both $75 saws at the time .Those guys buddies could not believe how those things walked away from their Poulans ,consumer grade Stihl's and others .25-30 year old saws at that .All well and good but on the rare occasion they needed some attention I had to do it because they could not find a shop interested .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think what has happened with these older once prominent brands is they have very little replacement parts available . It might be simple fix but say a Stihl dealer and others really have no desire to work on them .Many even 30 years old can operate nearly as well as a brand new item but because of the nuisance in finding the parts nobody wants to fool with them .It's became a niche market as far as resale .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been said the prices have gone up but I think and have said it's more a regional thing .With regards to those old red wood slayers which are obviously mainly found in the big timber areas of the west coast would be more abundant and thus on like flea bay would fetch more in areas like I live in .Fact is they aren't made anymore which of course adds to what they might fetch .Now this business of Mac PM 610's ,10-10's etc I don't understand because they made millions of them .Now of course in some cases it's like restoring grandpa's old saw about like restoring his 55 Chevy or John Deere model A tractor .So that could be a small factor also .

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Resale lately is crazy. Mac saws are very pricey. As are the larger pioneers. I blame youtube. Lol
Ya it’s true, lots of videos, lots of people doing builds, bucking Billy dose something, then others follow. An parole are rediscovered how good the old stuff was. Vintage late 80’s through the 90’s 2t mx stuff has gotten crazy too

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to offend, I wasn't sure of the spelling so auto correct took over.

I should have paid more attention and proof read, but probably would not realized the error.
Don't be sorry man, nothing to worry about. There's no law stating how you're supposed to say it. We all have the freedom to say it however we want. Can be easy to mispell it too. What's more important is the interest in the brand. Always nice to have new faces and different perspectives in this thread. If you ever want to try and pick up some literature on Mac saws or others there's a book called Chainsaws: A History written by David Lee and in conjunction with Mike Acres. It has a lot of cool stuff in it! Of course it's not the end all be all of chainsaw knowledge it's still a really cool book!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya it’s true, lots of videos, lots of people doing builds, bucking Billy dose something, then others follow. An parole are rediscovered how good the old stuff was. Vintage late 80’s through the 90’s 2t mx stuff has gotten crazy too

I think there's a lot of truth to your statement. I wonder if the shortage of saws and parts from Stihl and Husky dealers has some part to play? I do know that some folks over here are saying screw it and using the old saws again. The 10-10's, XL-12's, Super XL's, and some older poulans are gaining traction again over here.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well who DOESN'T want to be like Buckin?!!!
Pass.
What I think is crazy is the there's a company or companies that own the rights to build any McCulloch, Poulan, Homelite, or Pioneer from the line up and they choose garbage? If we have learned anything about the immense sales of the Chinese clones is that nostalgia sells!
Hell put out a Super Pro 81 with a plastic tank and a chainbrake and it would sell like mad . Models are limitless and could be sold as replica saws.
I could give 2 squirts about the new models coming out but a NEW 125cp or 2100 Homelite,( even if Made in Sweden) bring it on! That would stop clone saw sales dead for awhile.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pass.
What I think is crazy is the there's a company or companies that own the rights to build any McCulloch, Poulan, Homelite, or Pioneer from the line up and they choose garbage? If we have learned anything about the immense sales of the Chinese clones is that nostalgia sells!
Hell put out a Super Pro 81 with a plastic tank and a chainbrake and it would sell like mad . Models are limitless and could be sold as replica saws.
I could give 2 squirts about the new models coming out but a NEW 125cp or 2100 Homelite,( even if Made in Sweden) bring it on! That would stop clone saw sales dead for awhile.

I want to be like buckin... :partyhat:

He had some good content when he was below 20k subscribers. Then the theatrics set in and he pretty much is now just another influencer like the Kardashians in my opinion.

I am guilty of the brand name for nostalgia. Husqvarna has the rights last I checked for McCulloch and they sold the black and yellow 240 440 and 445 husky in Europe under the Mac name. Those aren't bad saws and wouldn't mind having one with the mountain on the recoil.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to be like buckin... :partyhat:

He had some good content when he was below 20k subscribers. Then the theatrics set in and he pretty much is now just another influencer like the Kardashians in my opinion.

I am guilty of the brand name for nostalgia. Husqvarna has the rights last I checked for McCulloch and they sold the black and yellow 240 440 and 445 husky in Europe under the Mac name. Those aren't bad saws and wouldn't mind having one with the mountain on the recoil.
Ya I hear ya, I like the small channels, that are great but haven’t made it. The early Cletus McFarland was good, 80% of the new stuff is junk, I liked watching mullet break into the 6 second zone…

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pass.
It’s the epa….can’t have nothing cool! Put some some smoke on the street today, won’t be able to register that kinda thing again! F26EA9CB-6CC0-4368-8E34-05E48CF9A80E.jpeg

Last edited:

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty typical of most people on youtube. Start out doing one thing then get paid to make more videos. Then it turns into something weird. I used to really like his videos. Informative and neat to see. Then they turned into 10 straight minutes of him playing drums? I mean its great for him to get paid to do that stuff. Really is. But i just dont watch it much anymore. Im not a subscriber to anything on youtube but i enjoy watching videos of stuff there. Lots to learn from others experiences. But i did like watching billy ray use a sp81 to cut things with. Maybe he could play drums with it?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s the epa….can’t have nothing cool! Put some some smoke on the street today, won’t be able to register that kinda thing again! View attachment 331367
Yup ,there you are single handedly saving the planet buy not driving that little motorcycle?
I don't want to get political over chainsaws ,but I dont remember voting for any of the laws that keep people from running 2 strokes? And I'm pretty sure that most of the EPA laws are only hurting the lower income bracket. The represention of people who are affected by emission laws are working class ( or rather used to be) and I'm pretty sure that they didn't vote themselves for a inspection sticker for a couple hundred dollars a year.
The EPA is arbitrarily getting laws passed that according to climatologists haven't made an impact in 40 years ? I can tell you that if I had 40 HOURS of unproductive work i'd be fired! The taxsation without representation is still unconstitutional.
Anyway, rant over , reproducing the old chainsaws as replica would get around the laws.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The EPA was instrumental in the demise of the big chainsaw companies here in America.I have quite a lengthy write up on this that I found about 3 yrs.ago.This happened in the early '90's (or late '80's,it's been a while since I read the article) when the EPA went to the saw mfgrs.& told them they had to run their saws at 50:1.Of course it didn't help that the ""engineers" (or those who called themselves engineers) threw their hands up in the air like a bunch of little school girls & said "it can't be done".It was shortly after that when Homelite sold to John Deere,McCulloch went belly up,Pioneer & Poulan got gobbled up by Husqvarna,& Remington just fizzled (the latter was never really a competitor in the big saw market,probably more concerned with their electric razors).
But the amazing thing is the European saw makers stepped up to the plate & said "bring it on".So much for good old fashioned American know-how & Yankee ingenuity.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The EPA was instrumental in the demise of the big chainsaw companies here in America.I have quite a lengthy write up on this that I found about 3 yrs.ago.This happened in the early '90's (or late '80's,it's been a while since I read the article) when the EPA went to the saw mfgrs.& told them they had to run their saws at 50:1.Of course it didn't help that the ""engineers" (or those who called themselves engineers) threw their hands up in the air like a bunch of little school girls & said "it can't be done".It was shortly after that when Homelite sold to John Deere,McCulloch went belly up,Pioneer & Poulan got gobbled up by Husqvarna,& Remington just fizzled (the latter was never really a competitor in the big saw market,probably more concerned with their electric razors).
But the amazing thing is the European saw makers stepped up to the plate & said "bring it on".So much for good old fashioned American know-how & Yankee ingenuity.

The 80's was a very difficult time for American manufacturing abroad. I seriously doubt 50:1 was the killer of American saws. Lots of strong American companies disappeared around that time for lots of reasons. Many, including McCulloch where just behind the times. Look at a Stihl or Husqvarna saw from the mid 80s compared to McCulloch offerings. Also America was entering a global market for consumers. Americans bought American exclusively because that was what was on the shelves. Start putting an over seas comparable product next to an American product at a lower price and you have what we have today.