MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Historically at one time you had two main brands, McCulloch and Homelite .However the playing field changed and the lighter faster European models took over the lead .The older brands through both marketing and refusal to change with the times are in my opinion what caused their demise .Even today you have two main brands ,Stihl and Husqvarna .The later is not a popular brand in my area though because of a power play by Husqvarna 20 plus years ago . Which is better depends I suppose on brand loyalty which I have none .

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Historically at one time you had two main brands, McCulloch and Homelite .However the playing field changed and the lighter faster European models took over the lead .The older brands through both marketing and refusal to change with the times are in my opinion what caused their demise .
You are TOTALLY right. From the 80s both husky has 162, 181, 2100 that kind of stuff with AV. Stihl has 038, 034, 064, 084. And homelite and mcculloch has nothing but old designs adding some modern plastic to them.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think maybe McCulloch attempted to get back in the game with models like the Titan series and for larger a rebadged Partner P-100 .I think by then R.P. McCulloch was out of the game and the board of directors just drove it in the ground . What ever happened to Homelite I have no idea but the name is still in use but I rather doubt the Homelite of old has any thing to do with it .

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think maybe McCulloch attempted to get back in the game with models like the Titan series and for larger a rebadged Partner P-100 .I think by then R.P. McCulloch was out of the game and the board of directors just drove it in the ground . What ever happened to Homelite I have no idea but the name is still in use but I rather doubt the Homelite of old has any thing to do with it .
I believe Mac was on top until the death of R.P McCulloch. 1977 is when he died and was also the the death of the 125. They sold to black and decker in late 1974, I don’t think much development happened after that

Last edited:

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 80's was a very difficult time for American manufacturing abroad. I seriously doubt 50:1 was the killer of American saws. Lots of strong American companies disappeared around that time for lots of reasons. Many, including McCulloch where just behind the times. Look at a Stihl or Husqvarna saw from the mid 80s compared to McCulloch offerings. Also America was entering a global market for consumers. Americans bought American exclusively because that was what was on the shelves. Start putting an over seas comparable product next to an American product at a lower price and you have what we have today.
Steve,I'm unable to get the link on here to the article I wrote about above.If you read that article you'd do a 180 on what you wrote.I'll continue to see if I can get it here for you & others to read.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve,I'm unable to get the link on here to the article I wrote about above.If you read that article you'd do a 180 on what you wrote.I'll continue to see if I can get it here for you & others to read.

Sounds good. I'm always open for a good read.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After reviving the 5 610s last week,I dug out my Timber Bear today for a crank seal install.I was only able to get the FW side pulled today & then I ran out of time.I'll install the new seal tomorrow & do a test run.I may get away with changing out the ""easy" seal.FWIW,I bought a Lisle seal puller & IMO it's the biggest POS out there.I can't get it to hook under the seal for squat.I ended up getting the old seal out with a screwdriver.Also,I don't know much about seals & bearings,but the ball bearings were dry as a bone.Shouldn't there have been some residuasl oil on them?Or is that a sign it was sucking air there?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The EPA was instrumental in the demise of the big chainsaw companies here in America.I have quite a lengthy write up on this that I found about 3 yrs.ago.This happened in the early '90's (or late '80's,it's been a while since I read the article) when the EPA went to the saw mfgrs.& told them they had to run their saws at 50:1.Of course it didn't help that the ""engineers" (or those who called themselves engineers) threw their hands up in the air like a bunch of little school girls & said "it can't be done".It was shortly after that when Homelite sold to John Deere,McCulloch went belly up,Pioneer & Poulan got gobbled up by Husqvarna,& Remington just fizzled (the latter was never really a competitor in the big saw market,probably more concerned with their electric razors).
But the amazing thing is the European saw makers stepped up to the plate & said "bring it on".So much for good old fashioned American know-how & Yankee ingenuity.

So I did read that article. EPA never told anyone they had to run 50:1. They just tightened tail pipe emissions. The article goes on to explain what some manufactures did to meet standards. It does however say that instead of McCulloch heeding the warnings they just went bankrupt. According to the article most the emission technology was pioneered by japanese companies. Of which the European manufacturers ended up using under licence or through purchasing the entire company.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well this entire emission thing most likely was at first was promoted by that pain in the behind Ralph Nadar .The numbers on chainsaws related to the internal combustion engines is about like pissing in the Atlantic ocean trying to raise the water level .Which quite frankly there isn't enough beer in the entire world to make that happen .

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well this entire emission thing most likely was at first was promoted by that pain in the behind Ralph Dadar .The numbers on chainsaws related to the internal combustion engines is about like pissing in the Atlantic ocean trying to raise the water level .Which quite frankly there isn't enough beer in the entire world to make that happen .
Yes by the way I have peed in the Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean and the Med and places I can't talk about --plus the great lakes .

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup ,there you are single handedly saving the planet buy not driving that little motorcycle?
I don't want to get political over chainsaws ,but I dont remember voting for any of the laws that keep people from running 2 strokes? And I'm pretty sure that most of the EPA laws are only hurting the lower income bracket. The represention of people who are affected by emission laws are working class ( or rather used to be) and I'm pretty sure that they didn't vote themselves for a inspection sticker for a couple hundred dollars a year.
The EPA is arbitrarily getting laws passed that according to climatologists haven't made an impact in 40 years ? I can tell you that if I had 40 HOURS of unproductive work i'd be fired! The taxsation without representation is still unconstitutional.
Anyway, rant over , reproducing the old chainsaws as replica would get around the laws.
Don’t get me going Steve!! It’s all silly!! They were saying lawn mowers were putting off more emissions than cars like 10-15 years ago….that’s why the 066/660 meet it’s end, they kept making the exhaust outlet smaller until there was no longer a way to
Pass. The auto industry can’t keep a motor in production for very long because of this

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After reviving the 5 610s last week,I dug out my Timber Bear today for a crank seal install.I was only able to get the FW side pulled today & then I ran out of time.I'll install the new seal tomorrow & do a test run.I may get away with changing out the ""easy" seal.FWIW,I bought a Lisle seal puller & IMO it's the biggest POS out there.I can't get it to hook under the seal for squat.I ended up getting the old seal out with a screwdriver.Also,I don't know much about seals & bearings,but the ball bearings were dry as a bone.Shouldn't there have been some residuasl oil on them?Or is that a sign it was sucking air there?

Is it the seal puller like the one I posted with the red handle and pivot?

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too much emission control WILL backfire.
Look at all those new diesel with DPF and the smog pumps!
Those who set the emission rules are not engineers. Just some jackasses.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it the seal puller like the one I posted with the red handle and pivot?
I don't know what you have Ira,but your description seems to fit the one I have.The one I have is made by Lisle & has a red handl;e & pivot.I thought it was just too big for a smaller saw like the Homie SEZ,but I had the same problem with the big FW side seal on the Timber Bear.The angle of the bend on the hook is the culprit.I tried to tap it in with a hammer - no dice.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know what you have Ira,but your description seems to fit the one I have.The one I have is made by Lisle & has a red handl;e & pivot.I thought it was just too big for a smaller saw like the Homie SEZ,but I had the same problem with the big FW side seal on the Timber Bear.The angle of the bend on the hook is the culprit.I tried to tap it in with a hammer - no dice.

I have the same tool and it works great if you grind the lip smaller and put a radius in it. Will pull even a mini Mac seal with ease after the work. I can get a pic of it after work today.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
R. McCulloch was out of the picture in October 1974 when Black and Decker bought the company.
B&D sold it to a private investors group in 1984 and McCulloch went into chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1999.

Textron decided they didn't want to be in the saw business and sold Homelite to John Deere in 1994.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then Homelite was sold to some investors group in China I believe??