Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice!! :coleman::applaudit:
Thanks! I've been waiting for a reasonably priced one to show up when I had the $ to buy it, and the stars finally aligned! I'd recently picked up a Mac-branded 36 inch D176 bar, I'd just sold a few saws earlier that day, and I saw the ad less than a minute after it was posted! Now I just need to fab up a H & S tribute dawg and she'll be the SP81 of my dreams.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been years and before restoring old saws became popular that I landed my SP-81 .It was cheap but was missing the entire ignition system .That I found on flea bay from Ontario from a scrapped out 10-10 the seller sent it from a post office in Maine which I thought was amusing .All told I don't think I had more that 80 bucks in the whole thing .Although it's one of my many
"shelf queens " it is a good runner .The old gal is not pretty ,just an old well used war horse with a lot of life left in it .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless I'm mistaken most parts from one 82 will fit another .Although ,again if I remember I might have had to alter something using an 850 cylinder on an 805 .I either had to file down or shim out the mounting for the coil because it didn't align quite correctly .I think the crankshaft length was a tad different on the flywheel side .It worked until I smoked the engine with a straight gas prime .A sad day that was .
I also think the 82's pretty much ran about the same which normally is good .Some might debate that though to some degree .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 82's used several designs of mufflers .The ones with a screen gizmo are the worst for performance and the curved bottom are the best .With the baffles pulled they really wake up and can make dogs howl and blow out ear drums .Ear plugs ,muffs mandatory .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot can be said with regards to magneto ignition systems .Other than the application they all work the same from chainsaws to 2 cylinder John -Deere tractors .The later having an
impulse mag with a spring loaded armature that snaps it over at a higher speed on start up .That said they can all have the same problems which could be the points or the condenser ,However they can go for decades with no problems of any kind . I've got a model 12 Mall that came over on the Mayflower in my shed ,boat anchor ,spark less .I'd make a safe bet it's one of the two problems I just said .As for the saw I may or may not ever get it running . Who knows I might muster a spark of energy and give it some spark .

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SP80 maybe but I think it's an 81. Divider in the transfers.

View attachment 317174
I have one without the divider thats missing all the chrome below the exhaust, the shop owner down the road gave me a divided transfer cylinder to put in it . Its a very strong saw, but I'd like to see how the open transfers one runs some day.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only reason I thought mine was an 80 is because of the label on the AF cover. It's wearing an SDC-18 carb which crosses to the 2-10 series so I have no idea if it's an 80 or 81.
I welcomed it into my little stable of Mac's though. I do have an 81 for sure and a PM850.
The 80, 81 and PM850 were the 82cc saws I wanted to get.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one without the divider thats missing all the chrome below the exhaust, the shop owner down the road gave me a divided transfer cylinder to put in it . Its a very strong saw, but I'd like to see how the open transfers one runs some day.
I just want to know where your local shop is.:)
Nobody across the river here seems to even remember who Mcculloch is, much less have 82 cc parts lyimg around...

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its in the upstate, but his father was the McCulloch dealer for forty years.
They played around with model planes when the now owner was a kid so some 82cc engines were still hanging around as a result of those projects.
Its a rare thing today but they had real brand loyalty to good products back in the day and one saw wasn't just as good to them as another . The current owner laments the loss of the McCulloch company and often tells me Dolmar was also a very good product.
Georgia definitely had alot more Poulan and Husqvarna dealers from what I can tell?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As the story goes when McCulloch finally circled the drain there were people who scoured the country side buying up all the old stock .Other than that one might get lucky finding this stuff from old shops long closed the original owners have long been pushing up daisys .The good thing if any is McCulloch made millions of them and as so often you can find a donor buried in a dealers dead pile .It's still out there you just have to find it .However as I've often said restoration of anything is not for all .We are a different breed of cat so to speak .

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, when my uncle came up for Thanksgiving he left a few gifts! The little guy on the far left was bought new by my grandpa in the 70's, my dad used it around the house for awhile, and it has languished in my uncle's garage ever since. He wants me to completely restore the saw, sand blast it, powder coat it, the works. Not pictured are its case and an Eager Beaver 2.0 I'm also supposed to fix.
IMG_8966.JPG IMG_8967.JPG

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, when my uncle came up for Thanksgiving he left a few gifts! The little guy on the far left was bought new by my grandpa in the 70's, my dad used it around the house for awhile, and it has languished in my uncle's garage ever since. He wants me to completely restore the saw, sand blast it, powder coat it, the works. Not pictured are its case and an Eager Beaver 2.0 I'm also supposed to fix.
View attachment 317543 View attachment 317544
Awesome..always nice to get stuff like that.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 317543 View attachment 317544
Nice bunch of yellow goodness!
Whats the one with the socked filter?
Did he bring the SP81 as well?

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its in the upstate, but his father was the McCulloch dealer for forty years.
They played around with model planes when the now owner was a kid so some 82cc engines were still hanging around as a result of those projects.
Its a rare thing today but they had real brand loyalty to good products back in the day and one saw wasn't just as good to them as another . The current owner laments the loss of the McCulloch company and often tells me Dolmar was also a very good product.
Georgia definitely had alot more Poulan and Husqvarna dealers from what I can tell?
There used to be plenty of Mac dealers.
Minish mower in Commerce GA was our local dealer when I was a kid, and I think there was Riverside mower in Athens.
I guess nobody kept anything for too long after they went under.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice bunch of yellow goodness!
Whats the one with the socked filter?
Did he bring the SP81 as well?
The socked filter guy is a 5-10 I traded an axe for, the SP81 was a purchase from a guy on AS. To clarify, all but the pure yellow guy are my collection I had down in the shop, only the pure yellow guy and the not-pictured case and Eager Beaver are new.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The socked filter guy is a 5-10 I traded an axe for, the SP81 was a purchase from a guy on AS. To clarify, all but the pure yellow guy are my collection I had down in the shop, only the pure yellow guy and the not-pictured case and Eager Beaver are new.
I was thinking you had just gotten the SP81.
Was gonna say you could send one over here if you had extra.:)
Axe for the 5-10 was a pretty good trade. Axe may never run out of gas, but I sure do, especially these days. Dang Birthdays!:rolleyes:

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As the story goes when McCulloch finally circled the drain there were people who scoured the country side buying up all the old stock .Other than that one might get lucky finding this stuff from old shops long closed the original owners have long been pushing up daisys .The good thing if any is McCulloch made millions of them and as so often you can find a donor buried in a dealers dead pile .It's still out there you just have to find it .However as I've often said restoration of anything is not for all .We are a different breed of cat so to speak .
I've been told many times over that when McCulloch had their auction on inventory out of their Tuscon,Az.office that they didn't sell everything they had.What was leftover was loaded into tractor trailers & sent off to the landfill.
I also remember reading about a landfill that was dug up back in the later '90's-early 2000's around the Phoenix,Az.area & they found newspapers that were dated from the early '60's that were as fresh as the day they were printed.The reason for the newspapers & other material in the landfill not breaking down over the course of 40 yrs.was due to lack of moisture.Tuscon & Phoenix have much the same climate,so any of those parts that were buried in that landfill should in theory be like new.
So,who's up for doing a little investigation to find out where the goods are buried & investing in a couple of metal detectors?