MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t find those tygon fuel like kits with the aluminum button and oring. Are they no longer available?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t find those tygon fuel like kits with the aluminum button and oring. Are they no longer available?
I heard talk to that effect. Do you need fuel lines for a 10-series saw or one of the big guys? I have some grommets/tubing that are a good generic type of fuel line, I'd be happy to send you a kit if you need one.

Battle Cross 2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20211128_075551.jpgI know it's nothing special but I have some questions about this timber bear.20211128_134449.jpgIs this grinding on the cylinder fins normal? Seems odd to me.20211128_133654.jpgAlso someone was in this saw before I got it. Theres no base gaskets and this hacked up exhaust Port. I was planning on cleaning it up but I'm wondering if it would hurt anything to widen it to match the muffler if theres enough piston sleeve to cover it.

If this is not the place for this please let me know.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I heard talk to that effect. Do you need fuel lines for a 10-series saw or one of the big guys? I have some grommets/tubing that are a good generic type of fuel line, I'd be happy to send you a kit if you need one.
I’m ok on stock, just trying to stay ahead of the curve! Thanks for the offer! And I did like the kits

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bigmac - Jason Powell (one2machine) no longer makes any of the kits, he found it was just not cost effective so he sold his equipment. I still have a couple of his kits, some drawings, and some aluminum material if I would ever have time to try and set up to make some. I will need to make a tool to cut the o-ring groove as I don't currently have anything that narrow on hand.

Battle Cross - that is the stock design for the exhaust, McCulloch called it a "Q" port designed to reduce compression for easier starting and improve flow for enhanced performance. You need to be careful if you widen the exhaust that you don't go too far and allow the ring to catch since there is no bridge to offer support.

There is no base gasket since they are a "clamshell" design, just use some Dirko HT, Threebond, or similar sealer when you put it back together.

Hard to say what was going on with the modifications on the fins.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW on those clam shells from my experience used Indian Head gasket shellac on the older models and some type of silicon sealers on the newer models .So far I've never experienced a case leaker because of this .

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just in case anyone is interested I'm going to be having a look at a couple 2 man macs and a 1-71 as well as a 39. I don't know that I want all of em but if someone else does I can potentially pick it up for said person and ship it. I'm located over in north Idaho. The two man macs are a model 99 and a 940(could be a 1-93). Price is up in air and I won't have an idea of whether they run or not until I can make it out to look at em.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was cranking up my SP81 the other day (just to hear it run) when it locked up tight. A quick examination of the recoil showed me the problem, and I fixed it by stealing the pulley off of my SP60 in-a-box. I'll still need to source a new one later, but for now my SP81 lives again! I also used that opportunity to install a @heimannm chip guard instead of the damaged Mac one.
IMG_8981.JPG IMG_8982.JPG IMG_8984.JPG

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan - Be sure your rope diameter matches the groove in the pulley, and use the compression release. Too small diameter on the rope will potentially let it get crossed up and bind exerting a lot of extra force on the sides of the pulley.

Mark

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan - Be sure your rope diameter matches the groove in the pulley, and use the compression release. Too small diameter on the rope will potentially let it get crossed up and bind exerting a lot of extra force on the sides of the pulley.

Mark
Twasn't my rope, but I re-used the original Mac rope on the other pulley. I kinda suspect the crack happened long before I got it, maybe even before Kevin got it.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those chip guards are pretty slick aren't they! I just got the same one from the Duke for my pm700. They seem very stout!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's way more protective and durable than the original ones. I hope I don't have to test its durability anytime soon, though.

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone ever tried to over bore an old 10-10 cylinder? I have one with some bad scoring. Was ruminating on the possibilities of up-sizing the piston to 56mm for a hybrid like a super pro. Just some crazy thoughts.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone ever tried to over bore an old 10-10 cylinder? I have one with some bad scoring. Was ruminating on the possibilities of up-sizing the piston to 56mm for a hybrid like a super pro. Just some crazy thoughts.

I'd say no because you would completely bore the iron sleeve out of a 10-10 cylinder. You may be able to bore a 70cc cylinder out to that but the sleeve will be paper thin and the ports will be constricted.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah , being 2" is about 50mm a 70cc saw could be pushed for a more common 52mm ,but all the 70cc McCullochs I own are chrome bore.

Yeah, you would have to have a 4-10, 5-10, 6-10, super early 7-10, or a CP-70 to bore it.

And none of those are models I'd be willing to destroy for science!