Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brothers silage pile got a coating of corn syrup this morning

View attachment 434764

Hopefully tomorrow we can fire up on running soybeans tomorrow, maybe get Dad knocked out & get moved to my brothers FIL’s place.
What does the corn syrup do?I've never heard of putting it on it.

Reactions: Lnk

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What does the corn syrup do?I've never heard of putting it on it.
It’s supposed to seal it up, helping with the fermentation & decreasing rot on the top & sides. Lots of people here are using it instead of covering their piles with tarps/liners.

It’s less of a pia than pricking around with the liners & top covering.

This is all new to me, my brother has only had chopping done for 2 years now.

The last time I helped chop before my started, the neighbor had an 826 IH & a 2 row pull type chopper, we had to rake the chit out of the wagons & it was blown into a up into a 100’ tall concrete silo.

It didn’t make any difference what direction the wind was out of or where you tried standing/working from, the damn stuff blew up into your face & ultimately your eyes were full.

Last edited:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The raccoons here are destructive at about the milk stage in the corn. They never attack the outside rows, always about 8-12 rows into the field. The place I live on, we figured about 5 acres that they wrecked 2 years ago.

There are folks in the Iowa legislature that have tried passing a $5 year round bounty on coon tails but it never passes.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s supposed to seal it up, helping with the fermentation & decreasing rot on the top & sides. Lots of people here are using it instead of covering their piles with tarps/liners.

The last time I helped chop before my started, the neighbor had an 826 IH & a 2 row pull type chopper, we had to rake the chit out of the wagons & it was blown into a up into a 100’ tall concrete silo.

It didn’t make any difference what direction the wind was out of or where you tried standing/working from, the damn stuff blew up into your face & ultimately your eyes were full.
If I remember right you said you were doing 400 ton. Have you ever tried bagging it?

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I remember right you said you were doing 400 ton. Have you ever tried bagging it?
There are some folks doing that also, my brother doesn’t have the patience to mess with that.
It is much slower process bagging & he would have mess with the bag getting it out.

greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well I learned something today, yeah that's better than plastic and anything is faster than an upright.before we quit and everybody else around us quit we all went to trenches.

Reactions: Lnk

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone is bagging here now. They’re even bagging dry corn piles as of last year. We had a huge crop last year and everyone filled up pretty early in the season. The mill was actually bagging. Along with big corn pikes

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IIRC, There used to be a $2 bounty for a pair of coyote ears but I was just a little tyke when that was going on.
I HATE COYOTES

I kicked all deer hunters off here 2 years ago because for 40 fuching years, since 1984, at the end of deer season, when they had what they wanted, they would blow smoke up my father and my arse saying they would be back in the winter to kill coyotes.. We never saw hide nor tail of the guys til next deer season.

I HATE COYOTES

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are some folks doing that also, my brother doesn’t have the patience to mess with that.
It is much slower process bagging & he would have mess with the bag getting it out.
It is really not all that slow if you have a good bagger. Most here have tunnels to do at least a 12 ft and some to 14ft. We have knocked out 200 ton in a 12ft in lickety split time. I think you could get 400 ton done in 1 day in 12 ft if your haul distance was close.. As for unloading it yes it can be a hassle but if you have a dedicated site that you will use year after year you can pour a concrete pad and help a lot.

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone is bagging here now. They’re even bagging dry corn piles as of last year. We had a huge crop last year and everyone filled up pretty early in the season. The mill was actually bagging. Along with big corn pikes
Bagging corn right in the field has been going on for 5-8 years here. My brother has yammered about doing it but always changes his mind.

I have watched a few guys absolutely destroy their fields & equipment because the frost has gone out of the ground or it starts raining when they are selling/scheduled to sell.

I have yet to see any co-ops bag any, they all use ground piles. One ethanol plant has a rather large place for a ground pile as well.