greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hopefully we will get Dad’s beans at home out today & get moved to his FIL’s ( 20 mile jaunt ) tonight or tomorrow to start on his beans. With any luck his corn will be ready & we can have get that out of the way too.
Since Monday we have got 6 inches of rain.supposed to get 3 to 5 more tonight.its gonna be awhile before we get in the fields to do anything.

Reactions: Lnk

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s going to be a long harvest season if we only run 35 acres of beans a day with a 35’ Draper & don’t even fire up the other machine.

IMG_0557.jpeg

I believe they will finish up tomorrow & try to move tomorrow evening. I told them I had more productive things to do.

I am going to go cut some trees tomorrow & likely help a cousin cut some firewood Saturday & Sunday, if he isn’t ready I will just work on cutting & splitting some of my own.

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eating soybeans finally. Between sensors and chasing wiring problems we’re starting 4 days later than I wanted and it shows. They’re running 10.5% already. Grrrrr. This little 7a field averaged 73bu/a so no complaints there. We’ll see how the next few fields do but I think they’ll do even better yet.
IMG_2215.jpeg

On another note we had a load of tile dropped off and the moron dumped it on a hill. Three rolls ran into a corn field, one ran into a corn head and the other two ran into my irrigation well and pump panel. Not real happy about any of that. Every roll has serious damage in multiple spots that’ll need to be cut out or thrown away.
IMG_2216.jpeg

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
73 bushel beans are damn good in my book. I don’t usually get to 60 on an average
Same here. If we hit 50 on a normal year we’re dang happy.

I windrowed the straw to bale up so time will tell how that works out. I like soybean straw for bedding but raking it up always gets so much dirt in the bale that I hate doing it. These beans are dry dry dry but the stems were a tad green so we’ll see how they dry out to get baled. I plan to spread the rest of the straw like normal because I don’t want everything in windrows holding me up if I can get it baled for some reason.

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Several folks here have beans that are dry but still have green stems & green leaves on them.

When I say dry/ready that is the grower’s opinion. Ranges are from 9% up to 15% on the green stem/green leaves beans.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eating soybeans finally. Between sensors and chasing wiring problems we’re starting 4 days later than I wanted and it shows. They’re running 10.5% already. Grrrrr. This little 7a field averaged 73bu/a so no complaints there. We’ll see how the next few fields do but I think they’ll do even better yet.
View attachment 435015

On another note we had a load of tile dropped off and the moron dumped it on a hill. Three rolls ran into a corn field, one ran into a corn head and the other two ran into my irrigation well and pump panel. Not real happy about any of that. Every roll has serious damage in multiple spots that’ll need to be cut out or thrown away.
View attachment 435016
What a fudging knucklehead

Last edited:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
73 bushel beans are damn good in my book. I don’t usually get to 60 on an average
Back when drilling was really taking off we were still on 38 inch rows. The seed guy wanted to run a yield check on some of the wide row beans to prove how bad they were compared to drilled beans. The went 65 to 67 bushel on several areas. Of course the field average was no where near that

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You fellas that grow garlic. What do I need to grow a little plot in my yard??? It’s bout time to plant I think?
IIRC There was a thread on this forum or maybe it was a discussion in this thread.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You fellas that grow garlic. What do I need to grow a little plot in my yard??? It’s bout time to plant I think?
I know not anywhere enuf. Bad year for me. And I harvested way to late. Very little paper covering.

@karrl is the garlic master, but he hasn't said hi for over a year.
I hope he's OK.

Karrl garlic harvest link

Last edited: