The Husky 42/42 special/242/246 thread

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've mentioned this somewhere before but didn't really generate any discussion about it...

Typical open port transfers are more or less a slot that feeds in a straight line right up from the crank case, so a slab sided piston is all that's required for efficient flow and windows are not only unnecessary but may even cause unwanted turbulence.
Where a typical closed port feeds from the side primarily through the piston windows and it would seem that a slab piston would inevitably impede flow.

That 42sp cylinder is open port and they seem to run fine with the factory slab sided piston but unlike most op transfers it's side fed like a closed port and would seem to me to be much more efficient running a 242 type windowed piston.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
12:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope Tor is around still, but I hope someone can answer my question. I bought the 42 Special from above post knowing that the piston was bad and thinking that somebody made a piston for it. My ignorance! The saw is in pretty good shape so I'd like to keep it going. After readin 23 pages of this thread, I still have that question. What piston will fit in this thing? The piston itself was 35mm in height. The jug said Gilardoni 6, not 241A. Its a 1993 Special. Closed window or open? Its got a closed on it now. Ebay has a 242 Meteor piston that is closed but will it require some work to get it right? Base gasket delete or machining the base? All help would be appreciated.
With the meteor piston which is very similar, you have to drop the cylinder. Meteor found out that they were going to make something unique, we probably haven't found out yet what they made the piston for.

241A has slightly shorter skirts compared to the year model you have, so you get a better IN timing out of the box.

246 has quad open ports and windowed piston and it works, so I would buy a 242 AM piston and give it a try, at least that's what gives you less work as I see it.
I've never tried it myself though.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Magnus has a thread with cylinder numbers / there was also a Gilardoni 7 & 241C
Yep, he has, but there is very little information about which piston and kit versions existed, and even less about the timings.

At 42 I know of three versions, the old one from the start, then when Hva threw away the Gilardoni pistons and used KS, and finally 241A. Do not overlook the fact that there may be one or two versions around 93-94 in the transition to 214A.

On the 242, there were almost annual changes.
Actually one of the reasons why I like these series, the IPLs give very little information about which changes were made along the way.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the meteor piston which is very similar, you have to drop the cylinder. Meteor found out that they were going to make something unique, we probably haven't found out yet what they made the piston for.

241A has slightly shorter skirts compared to the year model you have, so you get a better IN timing out of the box.

246 has quad open ports and windowed piston and it works, so I would buy a 242 AM piston and give it a try, at least that's what gives you less work as I see it.
I've never tried it myself though.
How you doin Tor, Its been a while since we talked. Hope you're doing alright.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How you doin Tor, Its been a while since we talked. Hope you're doing alright.
I'm doing fine mate, but not many chainsaws these days.
That said, I took the house wood with a 242 this year, as usual.
Hope it goes well with you too.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only AM piston I've seen is from the Little Red Barn. The only other piston I got from them was terrible. I guess I could give it another shot.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only AM piston I've seen is from the Little Red Barn. The only other piston I got from them was terrible. I guess I could give it another shot.
I'm doing well my friend. Just trying to catch up on all the wood I've got to cut and stack....

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know their quality.
Once you have the cylinder off, 93 if I remember correctly, measure the crankcase opening so you know if a 246 can fit if you are lucky enough to come across a set.
Nobody really knows exactly when HVA got ready for 44mm.