Stihl Hexa file and sawchain

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still think that the ‘Hex’ file might be a Halloween marketing thing, for witches (and, maybe sawyers that curse).

But seriously, if they work, that is great. If they work better for some folks, or under certain conditions, than that is good too. We really won’t know until they become widely available, and have a lot of time in the hands of a lot of users.

Philbert

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pay more for zero gains, I cant wait to try it.
Stihl are masters of marketing, this seems to target people who cant even roundfile with a guide, so 98% of weekend warriors. :)
Pretty much, Stihl knows customers are buying generic chain and Oregon files. How do they fix this, convince folks they need a setup that can only be found in store at a Stihl dealership.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In terms of file life, given the poor durability of Stihl round files for several years now I doubt ONE Hexa file will make it through ONE full complement 72DL chain! :confused:

With a round file One can at least roll the file and try find a "sharp side" , the Hexa file is completely fixed and all wear will be always on the files exact same locations. o_O

Thread derail: :D
What is the consensus on BAHCO round file quality?
I may have found a shop selling them for 2/3 the price of Stihl/Oregon/Husqvarna round files.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In terms of file life, given the poor durability of Stihl round files for several years now I doubt ONE Hexa file will make it through ONE full complement 72DL chain! :confused:

With a round file One can at least roll the file and try find a "sharp side" , the Hexa file is completely fixed and all wear will be always on the files exact same locations. o_O

I may have found a shop selling them for 2/3 the price of Stihl/Oregon/Husqvarna round files.
I think the hexa file is grit impregnated not a standard file hut might be wrong.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
9:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Never cared for Stihl files. I heard they have 3 grades but I think I have only seen the fine grade. Maybe better off with a small 3 sided file and a 4 sided rectangular file for your money or double or single bevel? About 12 yrs ago I used reg tri files before and double bevel with a beak. Not as grabby as round files even with a more aggressive cutter. didn't seem quit as fast as my aggressive slashing hook that I used with my ported 357 slashing saw. I had to drop the rakers more.
this style file likely would be good for angled felling cuts with the use of dogs. less chain throws. I haven't tried the husky chain. I would like to file and try the difference between the hex or Flat top with round gullet.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just buy a few Bahco files and try them out for yourself Wilhelm. Only real way to know for sure.
I already got one!
I have one of every diameter in the works.
Just stirring the pot. :p

Didn't try it yet.
The chains I am currently using are mostly *s-wordty, converted some from round ground to round filed.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Secondary thread derail...

Here is a confusing pic off the Bahco website

I thought Oberg was a completely separate brand from Scandinavia and several threads on some other non chainsaw forums say the same thing

Files are stupid...

upload_2021-10-17_8-5-57.jpeg

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The new round file I have says BAHCO OBERG on it.

BAHCO apears to be part of SNA Europe which is part of SnapOn?!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahco

I saw a link to Snap On when googling Bahco and Oberg

Getting to the point you can’t tell the players without a score card as my dad used to say

I guess change is the only constant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
9:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I like the idea with experimenting with a flat file and 4 sided cornering file at 1/4" and smaller to see what different angels can do.
The hex will obviously always remain at a set 60 degree apart if you do tweak the top plate
The hex have 2 fresh sides and you would get 4 off the square and A left and a right for each side of the flat which makes 4 again. That' twice the fresh surface but with two files. so its equal..But how 'bout those angles boys? And i hear they are in stores now

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the idea with experimenting with a flat file and 4 sided cornering file at 1/4" and smaller to see what different angels can do.
The hex will obviously always remain at a set 60 degree apart if you do tweak the top plate
The hex have 2 fresh sides and you would get 4 off the square and A left and a right for each side of the flat which makes 4 again. That' twice the fresh surface but with two files. so its equal..But how 'bout those angles boys? And i hear they are in stores now
I thought not till November