Country flag

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to try this out. Thanks Bryan.

I bought two Pferd three square files and two Save Edge three square files.

They have different profiles.

I've filed a pretty worn Stihl RS chain with the Pferd file And it gives about the same profile as Bryan's pics.

The files are very small diameter so they don't get into a tie strap when the cutters are pretty far back.

The files are about 0.162" flat to flat in diameter. They are hexagonal (sort of) with three narrow flats (side plate and three wider flats for the top plate.

The Pferd files seem to be about the same price everywhere in the US and the Save edge files are about half the price from Northwood Saw.

I'll let you know what I think of the performance as far as speed goes over a fast round filed chain I have.

I am by no means a great chain filer so the Granberg helps.

I did try to file a square filed tooth with absolutely no success so I think I'll buy a double bit file and see if I can get some success there.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's my take on the Bryan Marks "Hexa" filed chain vs a round filed chain. Well worth the try.

Thanks Bryan!

Although the round filed chain cut a hair faster the "Hexa", the "Hexa" was extremely smooth and pulled very hard.
The chips looked about the same from both chains.

I need to play with it a little more when I can get one decent logs to test with.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got off the phone with Pferd Canada and they do not have any double bit files 17082 either here or in the US and can't get a delivery date.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Tim. You take that saw out of the museum for this test? Lol Just kidding. Could you post pics of the cutters on both chains??? Close ups.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Tim. You take that saw out of the museum for this test? Lol Just kidding. Could you post pics of the cutters on both chains??? Close ups.

Yep. The only later model saw that would take those 70 DL chains is a Jred 630. I could have stuck them on a MAC PM850 but the Homie was handy.:)

I was wondering about tilting the 3 square file a bit or raising the file if there would be any use in doing that.

DSCN1834.JPG DSCN1837.JPG DSCN1826.JPG DSCN1829.JPG

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both cutters look good sir. I was just funnin ya aboot that cool saw...lol

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Pics taken from another group I’m in (not mine). Looks like they need to make a smaller file for when you get back far on the cutter. I wouldn’t cut with that.
View attachment 323473 View attachment 323474
Ya that looks tricky. Looks like they need to hog out the gullet as far as you can. With a little lay file. Down to the tye straps to get that corner down on the cutter. In the pic it looks like they can take the gullet down a bit

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Here's my take on the Bryan Marks "Hexa" filed chain vs a round filed chain. Well worth the try.

Thanks Bryan!

Although the round filed chain cut a hair faster the "Hexa", the "Hexa" was extremely smooth and pulled very hard.
The chips looked about the same from both chains.

I need to play with it a little more when I can get one decent logs to test with.
Nice looks good man. I like the way it cuts especially on big double cut trees here out west. Nice test.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It's got a big beek to start but it will tame down when the tooth gets shorter

What would be interesting would be if you file in a small round gullet in the top of gullet and see the difference in cutting?
My guess is none, therefore, you can file it with a plain raker file and round file

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Or are they like a double bevel