High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

So what's the current two stroke oil favorite?

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run Dominator at 32 to 1 for the past few years. I have run Klotz R50 and Motul 800 in the past. I found those oils are too thick cutting in cold temperatures. On larger saws that are just bucking trunks or noodling they are fine. When using those oil in small saws for limbing such as Husqvarna 550xp's I found the throttle response was poor. I switched to Dominator and there's no looking back.

Attachments

• 20240405_153128.jpg
    20240405_153128.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 7

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. I contacted Amsoil and asked them what they recommend for the Stihl 500 and if there is anything they offer that is superior to their Dominator and their reply below...

"Thank you for your inquiry. For 2 stroke tools we recommend AMSOIL SABER Professional 100% Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil. PRODUCT CODE: ATPPK-EA."

Do any of you have any experiences with Saber Professional vs Dominator?
Over on another chainsaw website (Arb*********) a member there posted this about Amsoil Dominator vs Saber...

"Dominator is an injection oil designed for high performance 2-stroke snowmobiles and similar engines. I've run it often in my snowmobiles. It is not designed as a mix oil as Saber is. I'm not saying it won't work, but I'm saying it's not formulated to stay mixed in suspension in gasoline as well as Saber is.

So abandon the Dominator for mix applications and stick with the Saber!"

Amsoil Saber
Red Armor
Motul 710 2T
Honda HP
Maxima K2
Schaeffer’s 7000

I think I'm all about set with oil. Whichever one above I get the better deal on I'll use at a 40:1 ratio. Thank you for the info.
Amsoil makes Saber for air cooled OPE. That being said, they make Dominator for High Performance 2 cycles and racing situations. Dominator CAN be premixed.

I run Dominator at 32:1 and have for quite a while.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Amsoil makes Saber for air cooled OPE. That being said, they make Dominator for High Performance 2 cycles and racing situations. Dominator CAN be premixed.

I run Dominator at 32:1 and have for quite a while.
Same here. I’ve been running dominator for a few years now at 32ish:1. I’ve never had a problem with it mixing or separating. It’s great oil.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over on another chainsaw website (Arb*********) a member there posted this about Amsoil Dominator vs Saber...

"Dominator is an injection oil designed for high performance 2-stroke snowmobiles and similar engines. I've run it often in my snowmobiles. It is not designed as a mix oil as Saber is.
Lots wrong with that statement.

I’ve used both and seen both inside lots of saws. Dominator is cleaner, but I doubt Amsoil’s secretary knows that

Last edited:

Woodsman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots wrong with that statement.

I’ve used both and seen both inside lots of saws. Dominator is cleaner, but I doubt Amsoil’s secretary knows that
Between the Dominator vs Saber which had less engine wear?

Woodsman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Either one will prevent metal to metal contact....
Have you ever noticed a difference in engine wear and carbon build up between 32:1 vs 40:1 ratio? Any ratio superior to the other for long term engine life?

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not trying to start an oil war or super long post but I know there is a good chance I do.

I need to buy some more and want to know what folks are useing. Several years back I used some bel rat, the. Uses a few quarts of amsoil, then got some Lucas but quit when someone told me it left their says dryer and less oily residue than other worse oils so I quit useing it. I got a qt of Raiseman semi syn that I just used up last I mixed. I am going to have to use the last of the Lucas that I have untill I buy something else and was wondering what folks are useing these days.
Always ran Pennzoil Air Cooled two stroke, mineral, i purchased the last of it here in Australia a fair while back now, cant get it these days. The closest thing to it here is Gulf Western Air Cooled two stroke oil- mineral (dunno but i never had success with semi or synthetics for longevity so i dont use them) run all my saws 25:1 other than the autotune 592 and 562 they are 32:1 no leaner. No engine failures in three decades so i’m not likely to start changing! Seen plenty of failures at 50:1 on stihl oil or believe it or not valvoline outboard oil!!! Thats right some twits will run that stuff in an air cooled motor 🤦🏻and two pallet loads if stihls from 009 through to 084’s and many between prove to me what to not do! But its up to you

Woodsman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On Stihl's website they recommend oil changes at the intervals below...

Heavy Use: Every 3 months
Moderate Use: Every 6 months
Light Use: Every 9 months

Do you guys follow those intervals above or has anyone done any testing where they found better results with changing oil sooner?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't use a 32:1 ratio.
I should revisit my statement here. I don't USUALLY use a 32:1 ratio. But if I were milling or cutting big stumps, I'd run 32:1.

After seeing Eggshooter's oil testing I believe 40:1 is plenty of oil in most situations. What Kevin said about strato engines is spot on too. Far less mix is directed thru the crankcase...which means less oil.

Those of you who are set on using high viscosity oils....and more of it might see a loss of performance over a thinner oil.

To me, those oils are for milling....

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On Stihl's website they recommend oil changes at the intervals below...

Heavy Use: Every 3 months
Moderate Use: Every 6 months
Light Use: Every 9 months

Do you guys follow those intervals above or has anyone here done any testing where they found better results with changing oil sooner?
Changing oil? In a chainsaw?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should revisit my statement here. I don't USUALLY use a 32:1 ratio. But if I were milling or cutting big stumps, I'd run 32:1.

After seeing Eggshooter's oil testing I believe 40:1 is plenty of oil in most situations. What Kevin said about strato engines is spot on too. Far less mix is directed thru the crankcase...which means less oil.

Those of you who are set on using high viscosity oils....and more of it might see a loss of performance over a thinner oil.

To me, those oils are for milling....
I agree.
Some oils work better than others at leaner ratios. Red armor at 50:1 is likely enough for any saw with the amount it leaves behind. There are other oils that are known for not leaving anything behind in the case at 50:1. I’m not entirely certain if it’s the viscosity or if there are a few oils like red armor that inherently leave lots of oil behind

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have their email reply and the name of the rep who you talked to? I have Motul's email reply they sent me, name of their rep in my email saved box. They recommended Motul 710 2T for the Stihl 500.
i asked fot autotune husqvarna, not stihl