High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

So what's the current two stroke oil favorite?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s awesome, I love it! hey you’ve mentioned you use both garden 2t and their 2t active oils. Which is your preference and why?
I've got threads on here with work saws worked hard not babied with a couple of thousand hrs on em still running run only on Active, the Garden is good oil also but only run it a few years.
Have always run it at 25:1 in saws over 90cc have for decades.
I wouldn't run synthetics at 25:1 in saws what a mess that would be unless milling or something extreme.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard work. How much did he get paid?
He got paid enough to build a buzzsaw to help speed up make it easier cutting his next sleeper order ya have to start somewhere and slowly work ya way up.
Yeah he's an old school hard worker and still is in his 70's although retired can't help himself still runs saws most days a ms661 is what he calls a little saw lol

He put us kids to work early lol
20220917_082155.jpg View attachment 348708

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He got paid enough to build a buzzsaw to help speed up make it easier cutting his next sleeper order ya have to start somewhere and slowly work ya way up.
Yeah he's an old school hard worker and still is in his 70's although retired can't help himself still runs saws most days a ms661 is what he calls a little saw lol

He put us kids to work early lol
View attachment 348707 View attachment 348708

This is him around 2010 ish
View attachment 348709

Men.

There aren't many left.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just don't use castor very often or in conditions where the engine will get very hot. Klotz says their castor can separate at low temps. I know castor can also make a winter cold engine hard to even turn over it gets so thick and sticky.

I have seen a perfectly clean engine after running castor in a saw for a few short cuts at a time, but given a lot of high temps cutting big wood will do this: stuck rings and lots of carbon after 50 tanks of a 20% castor 80% synthetic blend. It still ran well.
View attachment 348691
It's all hearsay until you try it in your own personal saw, climate & altitude.
The best oil is a regional thing, similar to your carb tune.

Broken

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never knew there was more than one Ultra.
Yeah the 1st generation "Ultra"was introduced for 4mix trimmers & blowers not chainsaws ! It was for air cooled 4mix engines & was a basic FB rated oil . The new "Ultra HP" as some refer to it is a full FD certified oil much more suitable for saw applications . I refer to the new Stihl oil as "HP Super" I do not buy anything "Stihl" however have heard horror story's from some very knowledgible people of the pros & cons of Stihl 4Mix oils brother !

Last edited:

Broken

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, maybe... So I decided to look for myself: stock ms261 & ms461 - gray bottle HP Ultra @ 50:1, 91 octane gas for the past few years, tuned to 2-stroke in the cut. Both piston tops covered edge to edge with carbon.
The year old ms461 plug looks like this:
View attachment 348684
The six year old FS90 trimmer plug looks like this:
View attachment 348687
Lots of carbon , though I have seen much worse .

Broken

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve run klotz benol. It’s castor. My opinion is if steer clear of castors in chainsaws. I’ve read it can lead some nasty deposits. My reason for avoiding it is if it gets very cold out the oil will separate from the gas some how. It happened to me. Fouled plugs made for a really crappy day. I used up a quart of it and won’t buy it
Ran castor in race sleds for yrs when it was the rage & only oil that prevented galling or complete seizure in fully modified race sleds , it was dirty and required between race weekend tear downs , however it did prevent engine failures . Yes it required mixing in heated race trailers & would quickly separate when not in use . It was & is what it is old technology , with proven results both good & bad !

Broken

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the Ultra gets a bad wrap.
I've used it a couple a three years with no issues or obvious problems.
I switched to Saber & Red Armor a couple of years ago & am gonna stick with those.

I'm building a couple of saws now & used the Ultra to lube everything (lower rod bearing & wrist pin bearing ect).
I have no doubt it will be fine.
I love Amsoil & Red Armor results when mixed in a properly tuned saw !

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve run klotz benol. It’s castor. My opinion is if steer clear of castors in chainsaws. I’ve read it can lead some nasty deposits. My reason for avoiding it is if it gets very cold out the oil will separate from the gas some how. It happened to me. Fouled plugs made for a really crappy day. I used up a quart of it and won’t buy it

I'll never understand what makes people want to run a castor oil in a chainsaw.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saber is recommended at no richer than 50 :1 by the manufacturer . I run Interceptor or Dominator @ 44:1 & 40:1 in all my Professional or Milling saws applications .

I ran saber at 40:1 in everything for a couple years. No problems at all. Just switched to dominator because that's what all the cool kids are doing now.

Broken

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran saber at 40:1 in everything for a couple years. No problems at all. Just switched to dominator because that's what all the cool kids are doing now.
Yeah , you can run it that rich , no reason to , its has a high viscosity index but is an ester based oil with additives . If your saw is tuned for it , you would not see any negative results. Interceptor & Dominator are also fine oils , even without Jaso certification imo .

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got threads on here with work saws worked hard not babied with a couple of thousand hrs on em still running run only on Active, the Garden is good oil also but only run it a few years.
Have always run it at 25:1 in saws over 90cc have for decades.
I wouldn't run synthetics at 25:1 in saws what a mess that would be unless milling or something extreme.
I’ll grab some garden 2t while I’m on this oil mission. Do you use a stabiliser?

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll never understand what makes people want to run a castor oil in a chainsaw.
I think there are better choices for OPE, but castor has its place in certain 2 strokes. I just want to burn it in some cheap OPE I have here for the smell. @Trains and @rogue60 who both use saws a lot run castrol 2t and 2t activ. It’s really cheap and neither have a bad word to say. I’ll grab some garden 2t rather than the active as they don’t sell the active in 200mls. Just to try it out. Always nice to save a little $ where possible in equipment I repair and onsell too. I bet, after all of this I’ll return to stihl hp ultra:risas3:… I did it with sealants, started with Dirko, tried everything else and returned to it being my favourite :risas3:. I’d return to ultra mainly because I use motomix for my own quality equipment (doesn’t get used a lot) and having hp ultra oil on hand I can increase the oil ratio of the motomix. Always interesting to try something different and learn from others though. I have a cheap hedge cutter that just gets 50:1 ultra and 91 unleaded. Been sitting in the tank for 6 months so far and still starts.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll grab some garden 2t while I’m on this oil mission. Do you use a stabiliser?

No I don't use any stabiliser if a saw that has been sitting and has old stale fuel in it I'll just dump it out and put fresh fuel in before running it.
I've not really had many problems with ethanol in fuel with saws only in summer it boils and vapor locks it's a pita for that.
Not saying I like pump fuel with ethanol it's chit it's not even designed for running in ope but It's cheap and saws run ok ish on it lol
The garden is good oil being a mineral oil burns clean good ring seal no carboned up exhaust port or gummed up stuck rings.
Mineral oil is good if saws sit for long periods of time the oil doesn't magically disappear leaving the internals dry like some of the synthetics do.
Anyways lots of 2T oils out there try em all lol careful you don't go to far down the rabbit hole I don't think there's any cure for chainsaw oil maina lol

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just happen to be porting a local’s MS361 today. I have ported a couple saws for him and I know that he was running 100 LL from the airport and Stihl Ultra in the grey bottle at 50:1. Saw has been sitting on my bench in the upright position for approximately 6 weeks. I just pulled the cylinder off and thought I would take some pics

View attachment 348459 View attachment 348460 View attachment 348461 View attachment 348462 View attachment 348463

I believe the phrase for the crankcase is "Dry as a Popcorn Fart"