High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

So what's the current two stroke oil favorite?

Broken

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little update, I tried a tank of castor 927, the stuff that everyone says smells amazing. I couldn’t smell anything and it just left me with a sore throat LOL.

It was super windy though so it may have just been blown away from me. Not enough that it didn’t give me a sore throat though!!

This wasn’t a new plug, but here it was after a tank. It’s interesting to see that this castor oil actually leaves a plug coffee brown like everyone says. Ultra would always leave them ash grey with the same tune and ratio. Both are fine as I under stand it, it’s just because one is a synthetic and other is castor. Everything gets tuned the same way. Not a fully true representation of the exact condition because it wasn’t a new plug, but gives an idea. I have now cleaned it off with the wire wheel and will re test for curiosity. 4E393AF2-9B11-4156-89F0-8240ACB4B561.jpeg

Last edited:

North by Northwest

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chevron Techron doesn’t have alcohol in it, just saying….
doesn't need it with the wash that the Stoddard solvent composition provides , have used Marvel Mystery oil , a little more viscious than Seafoam likely more lubricity also . The Chevron is not widely available locally , actually never have used it , with the carcinogenic properties not likely too either !

Last edited:

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
12:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
doesn't t need it with the wash that the Stoddard solvent composition provides , have used Marvel Mystery oil , a little more viscious than Seafoam likely more publicity also . The Chevron is not widely available locally , actually never have used it , with the carcinogenic properties not likely too either !
Hmm, so there’s this….9FC54ADC-CEBD-436F-8C27-7A2787AB9BD7.png

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In racing applications or hot saws castor is suitable , however in saws that run off the peg , deposits will be attrocious . Castor is old school technology before to days modern synthetic pol & ester based oils , which are a much better choice .
The castor 927 is a modern synthetic ether base wjth castor. I’m not sure if this makes it a modern version of the dirtier classic castor oils?

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sea Foam’s main ingredient is Naptha. Naptha is a very strong solvent, and actually fights with the oil in the mix. Although in “small” amounts it is “safe” to use in 2 stroke engines, it literally washes the oil from the mix off of all the parts.. And since most (not all) people just add a couple glub-glubs to their can without measuring, it’s more times than not added at a rate that is too strong and does more harm than good..

That’s what I was taught at a Stihl update school in Hayward, WI.. They had a whole chapter devoted to fuel and fuel additive failures. At any rate, it was an eye opener seeing the picture that accompanied it. I no longer use SeaFoam in chainsaws. It’s great at absorbing moisture from straight gasoline, but not worth the risk in mix fuel in my opinion.

I appreciate your post and it got me to thinking. Is gasoline not a solvent as well? I know seafoam helps keep carbs clean, it also helps to prevent carbon build up. Do you think Stihl doesn't want people to use it because it will knock them out of carb repair and spark screen replacement business?

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate your post and it got me to thinking. Is gasoline not a solvent as well? I know seafoam helps keep carbs clean, it also helps to prevent carbon build up. Do you think Stihl doesn't want people to use it because it will knock them out of carb repair and spark screen replacement business?
Interesting perspective. It’s always a possibility that there is an ulterior motive. In my opinion however, the way the information was presented did not seem to be at all in a way to “keep business” but rather to truly inform on the dangers of mis-use and to also promote longevity of the power equipment.

It should be noted that were not pushing any other products at this time either, specifically anythings they would make money on. Rather they were thoroughly informing us on the dangers of poor quality fuel, and fuel additives in OPE.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting perspective. It’s always a possibility that there is an ulterior motive. In my opinion however, the way the information was presented did not seem to be at all in a way to “keep business” but rather to truly inform on the dangers of mis-use and to also promote longevity of the power equipment.

It should be noted that were not pushing any other products at this time either, specifically anythings they would make money on. Rather they were thoroughly informing us on the dangers of poor quality fuel, and fuel additives in OPE.

I understand that any additive used in excess can cause more harm than good. I have been using Seafoam at 1oz per gallon for several years and have seen the cleaning it does. Especially before I was able to get non ethanol fuel. I probably don't even need to use it now with good fuel and good oil, but I still do and I have had no problems with it what so ever.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand that any additive used in excess can cause more harm than good. I have been using Seafoam at 1oz per gallon for several years and have seen the cleaning it does. Especially before I was able to get non ethanol fuel. I probably don't even need to use it now with good fuel and good oil, but I still do and I have had no problems with it what so ever.
Moderation is key.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really like this guys content, I recently subscribed, he’s got such great content. No BS, no bias. Tells it how it is.

2 different saws, different porting, different air filtration systems. It's a creamsicles to oranges comparison. Maybe the Stihl is just burning more sawdust.

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Either it’s the 32:1 ratio of this oil, or just the oil itself, but castor 927 isn’t for me. Just gives me a sore throat! Regarding the smell that people say they love, to me it just smells like burnt vegetable oil, certainly nothing I’d say that smells even close to nice. Second tank today in a whipper snipper (weed whacker), which is 30 minutes of constant trigger pinned and loaded for 99.5% of the time. I was under no illusion in that this oil would be the best choice in OPE, I know it’s not designed for it, but even this caught me off guard, it’s dirty & leaving a resinous (glassy and shiny hard not sticky) coating. It was tuned well, no spooge, no fouling of the plug, no incomplete / unburnt oil residue. Cool to see and fun to test. Next I’ll try the exact same test with Amsoil Saber, but mixed at 40:1.

1225C08A-C78B-47C2-868F-FDFAD1CA90E4.jpeg

Last edited: