High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

So what's the current two stroke oil favorite?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone run Maxima Castor 927?
I’m so far in the rabbit hole of digging around on oil at the moment and all the comments I have read on it is how amazing it smells, and that castor bean oil excels with heat that it actually improves lubricity. Very popular in high loaded 2strokes?
I brought 500mls to see if the smell takes me back to my days of racing and if it is as good as they say it is!

View attachment 348655
I’ve run klotz benol. It’s castor. My opinion is if steer clear of castors in chainsaws. I’ve read it can lead some nasty deposits. My reason for avoiding it is if it gets very cold out the oil will separate from the gas some how. It happened to me. Fouled plugs made for a really crappy day. I used up a quart of it and won’t buy it

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder what's the best oil for a buzzsaw? lol
That's dad early 70's
View attachment 348659

I have been told that they were known as widow makers back in the day because they could kick back really hard? They can be set 90 degrees for falling too which is probably where they are most dangerous? Does he still have it?

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve run klotz benol. It’s castor. My opinion is if steer clear of castors in chainsaws. I’ve read it can lead some nasty deposits. My reason for avoiding it is if it gets very cold out the oil will separate from the gas some how. It happened to me. Fouled plugs made for a really crappy day. I used up a quart of it and won’t buy it
I won’t have an issue with temps, but I have heard separation can occur anyway? I presume just shaking it will solve that?
It won’t be going in my good quality saws, but it will go in OPE I repair and onsell. Will report back :)

2 stroke use to be my favourite smell, but I think methanol at the drags may have slightly surpassed it! We’ll see once the castor 927 arrives.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been told that they were known as widow makers back in the day because they could kick back really hard? They can be set 90 degrees for falling too which is probably where they are most dangerous? Does he still have it?
Nah that ones long gone. dangerous? depends for some sure but ya just need to use ya brain running one. All the old timer firewood cutters around here run buzzsaws cutting Ironbark/Box them days and men are long gone.

This is another one he built in the mid 80's had a Holden red 202 used to cut railway sleepers with it, we used to setup camp bush cutting railway timber before we got all modern and built a sawmill at home.
His 1st ever railway sleeper order he got was for 900 sleepers he ripped them out with an 090!
20220917_003507.jpg

Last edited:

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nah that ones long gone. dangerous? depends for some sure but ya just need to use ya brain running one. All the old timer firewood cutters around here run buzzsaws cutting Ironbark/Box them days and men are long gone.

This is another one he built in the mid 80's had a Holden red 202 used to cut railway sleepers with it, we used to setup camp bush cutting railway timber before we got all modern and built a sawmill at home.
His 1st ever railway sleeper order he got was for 900 sleepers he ripped them out with an 090!
View attachment 348668

That’s awesome, I love it! hey you’ve mentioned you use both garden 2t and their 2t active oils. Which is your preference and why?

Last edited:

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I won’t have an issue with temps, but I have heard separation can occur anyway? I presume just shaking it will solve that?
It won’t be going in my good quality saws, but it will go in OPE I repair and onsell. Will report back :)

2 stroke use to be my favourite smell, but I think methanol at the drags may have slightly surpassed it! We’ll see once the castor 927 arrives.
Am I understanding you correctly? You put mix in customer's saws you would not use in your saws. If so, that's rich.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone run Maxima Castor 927?
I’m so far in the rabbit hole of digging around on oil at the moment and all the comments I have read on it is how amazing it smells, and that castor bean oil excels with heat that it actually improves lubricity. Very popular in high loaded 2strokes?
I brought 500mls to see if the smell takes me back to my days of racing and if it is as good as they say it is!

View attachment 348655
It smell like burnt cooking oil, I'm too young to know the good old days 2 stroke racing. Can't say it's good or bad after only a few tanks of mix. But it looks tacky after running when I look inside from the plug hole.

Broken

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In racing applications or hot saws castor is suitable , however in saws that run off the peg , deposits will be attrocious . Castor is old school technology before to days modern synthetic pol & ester based oils , which are a much better choice .

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"Ultra" designed for 4Mix use by Stihl is terrible in saws , filthy ! ...
OK, maybe... So I decided to look for myself: stock ms261 & ms461 - gray bottle HP Ultra @ 50:1, 91 octane gas for the past few years, tuned to 2-stroke in the cut. Both piston tops covered edge to edge with carbon.
The year old ms461 plug looks like this:
MS461_Plug.jpg
The six year old FS90 trimmer plug looks like this:
FS90_Plug.jpg

Last edited:

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the Ultra gets a bad wrap.
I've used it a couple a three years with no issues or obvious problems.
I switched to Saber & Red Armor a couple of years ago & am gonna stick with those.

I'm building a couple of saws now & used the Ultra to lube everything (lower rod bearing & wrist pin bearing ect).
I have no doubt it will be fine.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just don't use castor very often or in conditions where the engine will get very hot. Klotz says their castor can separate at low temps. I know castor can also make a winter cold engine hard to even turn over it gets so thick and sticky.

I have seen a perfectly clean engine after running castor in a saw for a few short cuts at a time at 25:1, but given a lot of high temps cutting big wood will do this: stuck rings and lots of carbon after 50 tanks of a 20% castor 80% synthetic blend 45:1. It still ran well.
DSC01790 (1385x1580) (898x1024).jpg

Last edited: